• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIB] UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods

Sorted....

"Larger packages - percentage increase" was set to 10 in Admin-config-shipping/packing. I'm just a beginner with osCommerce and don't know PHP so I'm only guessing, maybe the actual package's weight being 1Kg meant the shipping module kicked in but then the extra 10% took it over it's limit and confused things.

Anyway, percentage increase is set to 0 now and things are working fine. I feel a bit of a fool for talking to myself on here for the past half an hour but I suppose at least what I've done is documented now in case anybody else hits the same problem!

Great modules Stu2000! Just what I needed. Really appreciated :)

Edited by fragile

The modules are very basic, but unfortunately they need to be as Royal Mails prices and structures are so complicated. It seems that if you want to send a large parcel with Royal Mail it will cost you an arm and a leg, so a courier is required.

The only downside I can see with these modules is, if you order a lot of one item, the scripts don't have the common sense to work out it can be sent in several boxes. You can adjust the Box weight through admin, but then this will mess up the international modules.

International by ROyal Mail is a max of 2Kg, so if you set the box weight to 2, it will upset the national modules and if you set it to say 50 it will upset the international. I am in talks with a few other code writers and trying to improve the modules and will try and release a better version, but for the moment, it seems to work roughly.

great contrib, thanks for all thehard work and providing it.

Just an idea for the next update - My past shipping mod wanted weights in grams this expects them in KG and also USA uses LBS. How about an admin option to change this setting and perhaps a convertion at checkout from metric to imperial to show USA customers what they are getting in lbs.

Drifter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSC user for years and no coder, so I've earned my stripes.

Feel free to private message me.

Hi,

I think there is a bug within this contrib.

If the tare weight is high, say 3kg, but the product weight is low, 0.1, then at checkout the Royal mail options with a 3kg cap display with a message along the lines of "price cannot be confirmed over 3kg".

Although the message displays saying the costs cannot be calculated, it is still possible to select these items and checkout with ?0.0 shipping charges.

I know this is an unlikely to occur in a live shop, but it is a weakness.

AC

HI there, in the instructions, it says, if you do not install a courier i.e parcel force citylink or rm parcels, you will have to remove the limits with the Royal Mail modules.

Why?

Basically, with Royal Mail, you can post upto about 10Kg in weight, after this they will tell you to use parcelforce etc etc. However, after about 3Kg, it makes sense to use a courier as Royal Mails prices will be far too expensive compared to that of a courier.

Therefore I have put in limits, if the item is higher than 3Kg in weight, deactivate the Royal Mail module, unfortunately if the module is deactivated the customer can checkout and pay nothing. Hence you need to either install a courier module to cope with weights over 3Kg, so when the RM maodule deactivates at the 3Kg limit, the courier module kicks in OR remove the limits from the Royal Mail module, so it will never show zero.

There is by default a 3Kg limit on the RM modules, either remove these limits by editing the files and adding prices in the module for weights higher than 3Kg, or install a courier module to cope with high weights.

Hope this makes sense. Its not a bug in the script, its the way I have it programmed for my business. I use RM for small items and couriers for heavy ones etc.

Thanks for the contrib, 2 secs after reading this thread. Spot on (well so far till i find a problem)

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

(8) Royal Mail International Signed for (European Prices for weights upto 2Kg)

(9) Royal Mail International Signed for (Zone 1 for weights upto 2Kg)

(10) Royal Mail International Signed for (Zone 2 for weights upto 2Kg)

When a product weighing more than 2kg is ordered with a delivery address in Europe, the delivery price is calculated at ?999.00, based on the entry in the admin section

Zone (1) European Countries
AL,AD,AM,AT,AZ,BY,BE,BA,BG,HR,CY,CZ,DK,EE,FO,FI,FR,GE,DE,GI,GR,GL,HU,IS,IE,IT,KZ
,KG,LV,LI,LT,LU,MK,MT,MD,MC,NL,NO,PL,PT,RO,RU,SM,SK,SI,ES,SE,CH,TJ,TR,TM,UA,UZ,VA
.1:1.1,.2:1.69,.3:2.23,.4:2.69,.5:3.19,.6:3.69,.7:4.19,.8:4.69,.9:5.19,1:5.69,1.1:6.19,1.2:6.69,1.3:7.19,1.4:7.69,1.5:8.19,1.6:8.69,1.7:9.19,1.8:9.69,1.9:10.19,2:10.69,99:999

Is there a way to [/b]prevent the delivery option even appearing for products that weigh more than RM will deliver with a particular service?

Regards,

OK - I just read inside "airmail.php"...

CAVEATS

At this time, it does not deal with weights that are above the highest amount

defined. This will probably be the next area to be improved with the

module. For now, you could have one last very high range with a very

high shipping rate to discourage orders of that magnitude. For

instance: 999:1000

So, that answers my previous question.

Here's something else I found in "airmail.php"

It appears that the osC shipping system automatically rounds the

shipping weight up to the nearest whole unit. This makes it more

difficult to design precise shipping tables. If you want to, you

can hack the shipping.php file to get rid of the rounding.

As I understand little about how php works, could somebody explain how I would remove the "rounding" please?

HI there, in the instructions, it says, if you do not install a courier i.e parcel force citylink or rm parcels, you will have to remove the limits with the Royal Mail modules.

Why?

Basically, with Royal Mail, you can post upto about 10Kg in weight, after this they will tell you to use parcelforce etc etc. However, after about 3Kg, it makes sense to use a courier as Royal Mails prices will be far too expensive compared to that of a courier.

Therefore I have put in limits, if the item is higher than 3Kg in weight, deactivate the Royal Mail module, unfortunately if the module is deactivated the customer can checkout and pay nothing. Hence you need to either install a courier module to cope with weights over 3Kg, so when the RM maodule deactivates at the 3Kg limit, the courier module kicks in OR remove the limits from the Royal Mail module, so it will never show zero.

There is by default a 3Kg limit on the RM modules, either remove these limits by editing the files and adding prices in the module for weights higher than 3Kg, or install a courier module to cope with high weights.

Hope this makes sense. Its not a bug in the script, its the way I have it programmed for my business. I use RM for small items and couriers for heavy ones etc.

Hello again,

I have the other modules installed, and they are available, along with the ?0 price shipping options.

Is this how it is supposed to work? i.e. the customer is presented with courier options for ?x along with ?0 options where the weight is exceeded, with a warning that the price for this option cannot be calculated?

I ask, as I only saw this behaviour when I was testing with a hight tare weight and low product weight. When using a high product weight, the options where the weight was exceeded dissapeared alltogether.

Thanks

Very usefuld contrib BTW, cheers :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have installed this contribution but the shipping price is not the as it should be for standard parcel is adding a cost of ?5,95 for a 1.44kg item, the cost should be ?4.95 ?1.00 is adden on I have also removed tair weight and still the price is the same. ?1.00 above the correct price.

Here is our site

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Jamie

HAve you added a charge for handling of a ?1.00 in the module at the bottom, have a look at the settings in admin, also do you have a test account so I can have a look without setting up a bogus account myself?

I have just installed this brilliant contribution but need your help to solve a problem!

checkout_shipping.php page loads with javascript errors and get order total wont work at all, it will still process but just wont calculate the totals, but if i take away this contib its fine?

The shop has been modified with contribs from others, Fast easy checkout is the one i expect to be suspect somehow!

Strange one cant work this out any ideas anyone please! :huh:

Hi

I have installed this contribution but the shipping price is not the as it should be for standard parcel is adding a cost of ?5,95 for a 1.44kg item, the cost should be ?4.95 ?1.00 is adden on I have also removed tair weight and still the price is the same. ?1.00 above the correct price.

Here is our site

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Jamie

In stand.php around line 136 there are the insurance charges that are used in the calculation for the costs.

Remember that depending upon the value of your items to be shipped these insurance costs are added as part of the calculation for shipping.

Hope it helps.

a very quick and maybe stupid question - but when I try to extract the files from the v1.2 zip it asks for passwords - I can't see this mentioned anywhere? anyone help out?

I asked a similar question earlier in this thread and I don't remember seeing an answer. I had to go with the previous version (v1.1) and it seems to work OK

Excellent contribution, but I've found that the International AirMail (signed for) values we're undercharging by ?3 or so. (signed for being an additional ?3.50 on the price of Royal Mail).

Also, if I wanted to offer an International AirMail non-signed for option, would I just duplicate the module with standard airmail prices?

Cheers!

e.

Hey, this is a fantastic contribution and works really well..

I've just got one question though, is there any way to add an increase for certain postcodes?

I've just signed up to Parcel Force but they add a percentage increase for certain postcodes, mainly the top end opf Scotland.. (IV, HS, KA27-28) so it would be great for it to use the current prices and then add an extra charge for those postcodes..

Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? or of any other contribs?

Thanks alot everyone!

No replies?

By the way, some of the pricings on these modules are way out of whack and need updating (they've been costing money),

e.g.: Special Delivery Prices are way off:

.1:5.6,.5:6,1:7.2,2:8.9,10:20

should be more like:

.1:10.9,.5:12.5,1:14.2,2:17.1,10:???

See what I mean.

Also had to revise the airmail too.

Edited by edgar105

Hey, this is a fantastic contribution and works really well..

I've just got one question though, is there any way to add an increase for certain postcodes?

I've just signed up to Parcel Force but they add a percentage increase for certain postcodes, mainly the top end opf Scotland.. (IV, HS, KA27-28) so it would be great for it to use the current prices and then add an extra charge for those postcodes..

Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this? or of any other contribs?

Thanks alot everyone!

You can but you would need to install a zones contribution, I did this and also installed another zones shipping module and just hacked the Parcel Force and courrier modules to suit. Shout if you want a copy of the shipping hack, but you will need to install a UK zone first. Im no coder, and just made it up as I went along, but it works for me!

Excellent contribution, but I've found that the International AirMail (signed for) values we're undercharging by ?3 or so. (signed for being an additional ?3.50 on the price of Royal Mail).

Also, if I wanted to offer an International AirMail non-signed for option, would I just duplicate the module with standard airmail prices?

Cheers!

e.

It would appear there are a few sets of prices from Royal Mail floating around, their web site states one thing, their leaflets another. Simply alter the prices one by one, or just add ?3.00 to the handleing fee for a quick easy fix?

You cant just duplicate a module, but I'll get back to you on what you need to do, as I forgot but need to remind myself now as doing some more mods!