• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIB] UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods

Hello

I have just installed this contribution (2.2.1) on my new OSC installation which so far has gone quite well (I think!). Couple of things I am not sure about though, and maybe someone can shed some light on the subject?

How is the large package surcharge defined ? I have weights for the few test items I am using to test my system, but always the "Larger packages - percentage increase." is being applied. This would probably be ok as even my smallest items have to be posted 1st class LARGE. BUT..... I'd like to understand why the surcharge is being applied. In my catalog admin I cannot see any fields to specify standard or large package, only the items weight.

Sorry if it seems a dumb question.

Wayne....

Now I'm confused even more. I deliberately set tare and larger packages to zero in config

Test item has a weight of 0.03

On checkout we see the follwing with only Royal Mail First Class v2.2.1 enabled.

Delivery Weight : 1 package of 0.03 Kg's (Ships normally within 1 to 3 days) £1.28

Should either be 0.39 or 0.61(1st Large)

What have I missed?

Wayne.....

Edited by Wayne Weedon

Doh!! I now notice these are the figures entered into the rates! Obviously a little loaded? I was wrongly assuming it would be using the base tariff.

Still the question applies for the "Larger packages - percentage increase." calculation? Even if just for interests sake.

Wayne...

Shame I'm not finding this stuff fast enough to edit my own posts, but the selfhelp is helping!

Ok now found the explaination for the large package increase. Now understand it's an across the board % not based on some threshold as I ASSumed it was!

All starting to make sence now, it was not noticing the slightly loaded tariffs that stumped me.

Wayne....

I have installed "UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods 21st Aug Prices" where parcelforce 48 is there. I have used that only. but I want to ship parcelforce worldwide, how can i do that? I want to put rates destination wise using parcelforce only. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot :)

Please reply me soon :(

I have installed "UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods 21st Aug Prices" where parcelforce 48 is there. I have used that only. but I want to ship parcelforce worldwide, how can i do that? I want to put rates destination wise using parcelforce only. Is that possible?

Maybe you could duplicate International Signed for, and edit it's name,text,icons and tariffs to create a parcelforce worldwide module?

Wayne....

Edited by Wayne Weedon

Maybe you could duplicate International Signed for, and edit it's name,text,icons and tariffs to create a parcelforce worldwide module?

That would probably be the easiest way to create an International Parcelforce48 method.

The way the rmintsig method decides which zone to use is:

1. Check if the shipping destination is in the list of Invalid ISO Codes.
    • If the destination is Invalid then don't allow the method!

[*]Check if the shipping destination is in the list of Zone 1 ISO codes

• If it is then set the Zone to 1
  • If it isn't then it MUST be in Zone 2

To create a new method with a name of 'intparcelforce48' here are some basic instructions.

N.B. the method name is closely tied to the file name, so it is important to be consistent!

1. Copy .../includes/modules/shipping/rmintsig.php to .../includes/modules/shipping/intparcelforce48.php
    • Globally Search and Replace RMINTSIG with INTPARCELFORCE48
    • Globally Search and Replace rmintsig with intparcelforce48 (the case is important!)
    • Around line# 48 change $this->num_zones = 2; to the number of zones you want.
    • Around line# 368 in function install there is a loop that populates the configuration, you will see in rmintsig that the loop has two if blocks e.g. if ($i == 1) { , which set the default values. You'll want to add if blocks so that each of your zones has one, and have the last block similar to the current if ($i == 2) { block.

[*]Copy .../includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmintsig.php to .../includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/intparcelforce48.php

• Globally Search and Replace RMINTSIG with INTPARCELFORCE48

To test your new module you will need to complete a REMOVE/INSTALL cycle in the osCommerce admin to ensure the defaults are installed in your shop. If all has gone well you should now have a new International shipping method that you can use.

The main points to remember are; set the number of Zones you need, add additional code to initialise the database in the install routine, and that the method defaults to the last zone (so keep that for All Others).

LABBS Web Services

Also after 2500 amount, the parcelforce option does not come up.

My configuration :

Maximum value to ship

The method installs a default for the maximum value to ship as £2500, as this is the maximum RM will allow you to insure a shipment for.

Solutions:

1. Raise the maximum value you will ship but remember that RM will only pay a maximum £2500 compensation. This will result in the module displaying 'Uninsured' for shipments over the £2500 value limit.
  2. Split shipments on Maximum Value creating more than 1 package each of which can be insured.

LABBS Web Services

Shame I'm not finding this stuff fast enough to edit my own posts, but the selfhelp is helping!

It can be a steep learning curve, but keep persevering :)

Ok now found the explaination for the large package increase. Now understand it's an across the board % not based on some threshold as I ASSumed it was!

All starting to make sence now, it was not noticing the slightly loaded tariffs that stumped me.

These shipping methods all use weight calculations that centre on the way that osCommerce applies Package Tare Weight and Larger packages percent increase to the weight of goods in the cart.

Here's the basic code:

// Calculate shipping weight taking into account
//  Maximum Package Weight you will ship
//  Package Tare weight
//  Larger packages percent increase
//
//  as is done in ..../includes/classes/shipping.php line# 70 - 79
//
if (SHIPPING_BOX_WEIGHT >= $total_weight*SHIPPING_BOX_PADDING/100) {
       $shipping_weight = $total_weight+SHIPPING_BOX_WEIGHT;
} else {
       $shipping_weight = $total_weight + ($total_weight*SHIPPING_BOX_PADDING/100);
}

The variables above are:

SHIPPING_BOX_WEIGHT: Package Tare weight

SHIPPING_BOX_PADDING/100: Larger packages percent increase

$total_weight: Weight of products in the cart

$shipping_weight: The weight of the shipment including packaging

If Package Tare weight was 1 and Larger Package percent increase was 10, then for cart weights of upto, and including, 10 the weight of packaging would be calculated as 1, so the shipping weight would be cart weight PLUS 1, e.g. a cart weight of 6 ends up in a shipping weight of 7. Carts heavier than 10 would use the Larger packages percent increase to calculate the packaging weight to add to the cart weight, e.g. a cart weighing 20 would result in a shipping weight of 22.

The package Tare weight and Larger Package percent increase cause a deal of confusion with people, and what works for one store won't necessarily work for another. You just need to test things and try different values until you get to something that works for you. For instance if you primarily sell small light items weighing about 100 grammes each (0.1Kg), and have small jiffy bags (e.g. 0.02Kg) which can hold 4 items along with larger jiffy bags (which weigh more than 0.02Kg), then you might start testing with a tare weight of 0.02 and a percent increase of 5 (4 items weigh 0.4Kg, and 5% of 0.4Kg is 0.02Kg).

Some people find their brain starting to overheat trying to set these values appropriately, take the easy course of setting them both to ZERO, then adding a handling fee for a shipping method or increase the weights of their products to compensate for packaging costs! :blink:

I hope the above helps you to better understand how osCommerce and these shipping methods work.

LABBS Web Services

It can be a steep learning curve, but keep persevering :)

I hope the above helps you to better understand how osCommerce and these shipping methods work.

Yes it does thanks. I agree it's been a steep learning curve but site will most likely be ready to go live sometime this weekend. Just a few more things to test and products to add.

I've opted for a fairly mild tweaking of the default install really, as I like to keep it as simple as possible for mine and the customers sake! www.billetparts.co.uk/catalog if you're interested. It will no doubt evolve a fair bit yet, but need to have it running as soon as I can so I can try ween my ebay clients away ;)

Looked at your profile and homepage. I ran a BBS for many years too. 2:251/126 I was way back. Ran it from 88 to 99 I think, pioneering days anyway!

Wayne....

Edited by Wayne Weedon

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please help me. I followed the instructions for installing one shipping module (royal mail recorded) and I added the shipping, language and image files (as well as making the 'cosmetic' changes to the checkout_shipping.php file). I then decided that the solution was too elaborate for me, and so reversed my steps by deleting the files I had uploaded and reversing the changes made to the checkout_shipping.php file (I had actuall saved the original checkout_shipping.php file, and simply uploaded it).

However, now the checkout_page shows a blank screen.

Please someone help me :(

However, now the checkout_page shows a blank screen.

Did you maybe upload the language file to the route by mistake?

I'm feeling lucky today......maybe someone will answer my post!

I do try and answer a simple post when I can just to give something back.

------------------------------------------------

PM me? - I'm not for hire

Hello tigergirl, Thanks so much for your quick response. I checked and the language file isn't there.

You can't fix it until you know exactly what the error is and where.

At the top of /catalog/includes/application_top.php find this code:

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

Change it to:

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT);

Hopefully this will induce the server to provide you with an error message to help locate the malfunction.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Hello, thank you both for being so quick to try to help me :)

I found out what I did wrong. As tigergirl suggested, there was a problem with the file I stored in checkout_php that I uploaded to the root - it is different from the one in 'languages' (I didn't realise this when I was saving the original files).

I made sure that the relevant, different checkout_php files were in the right place.

Thank you both again :)

Hello, thank you both for being so quick to try to help me :)

I found out what I did wrong. As tigergirl suggested, there was a problem with the file I stored in checkout_php that I uploaded to the root - it is different from the one in 'languages' (I didn't realise this when I was saving the original files).

I made sure that the relevant, different checkout_php files were in the right place.

Thank you both again :)

Hehe I've had a lot of those blank pages during my experience over the last few weeks. But with treading carefully you can get there. To me it seemed to be about learning the file structure of OSC which helped most.

My shop went live last week and had it's first real sale go through smoothly yesterday. I just have to promote it now.

Wayne....

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

Just installed 2.2.1, I went for all the options for now. But when I get to checkout_shipping.php with a test package of weight 5kg, I still only see "Flat rate, Best way, £5.00" there. It's such a simple installation, what could I have got wrong? I've checked that I didn't accidentally put the catalog/includes/modules/shipping files into catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping and vice versa.

By the way, in the readme.txt instructions it says

Step (2) Upload Shipping Modules

--------------------------------

Each Shipping method has 3 files each:

1. Shipping file - catalog/includes/modules/shipping/MODULENAME.php

2. Language file - catalog/includes/languages/english/MODULENAME.php

3. Image Icon = catalog/images/icons/shipping_MODULENAME.gif/jpg

Surely the middle line should read
2. Language file - catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/MODULENAME.php
??? :blink:

(I did also try taking this literally and putting them in catalog/includes/languages/english, but of course that did nothing.)

Edited by MattReid

I've now found Admin>Modules>Shipping so please ignore my question above. :blush:

Still the readme.txt needs correcting.

I can't always edit or delete my posts, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Weird. :huh:

Edit: ah, looks like a timeout thing.

Edited by MattReid

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have installed v2.2.1 first and second class modules but they are not showing up on the checkout screen.

I have checked to make sure that the files have been copied to the correct folders /includes/modules/shipping and /includes/languages/English. I have run the install and enabled the modules from Admin > Modules > Shipping. I have also enabled Zone shipping which works ok.

My install of OSCOMMERCE is not installed in the catalog folder but instead it was installed one folder up in root.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi this is my first post on this forum as I am completely new to oscommerce.

I would greatly appreciate some help from anyone who can help me. I have downloaded this postal package, but I have absolutely no idea how to install it into smartFTP?

Can anyone list a step by step method for me please, nice and simple if possible.

Many thanks in advance

CL

This module is brilliant!! and many thanks for the updates.

A question.... How easy is it to extend it to provide Global Value and Global Express parcels service?

Thanks

Allan

• 1 month later...

I have installed UK_SHIPPING_METHODS_v2.2.1 and followed step 1, and 2.

I have these files in my admin/shipping

Royal Mail Airmail v2.2.1

Royal Mail 1st Class Standard v2.2.1

Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded v2.2.1

Royal Mail International Signed For v2.2.1

Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard v2.2.1

Royal Mail Special Delivery v2.2.1

Royal Mail Standard Parcels v2.2.1

In Royal Mail First Class v2.2.1 this is what it looks like:

Enable RM First Class Postage

True

Tax Class

--none--

Sort Order

Minimum weight to ship

Maximum weight to ship

Split shipments on maximum weight to ship

False

Minimum value to ship

Maximum value to ship

Split shipments on maximum value to ship

False

Display delivery weight

True

Display delivery time

True

Valid ISO Country Codes

GB

RM First Class Rates

.1:1.39,.25:1.72,.5:2.24,.75:2.75,1:3.35,1.25:4.5,1.5:5.2,1.75:5.9,2:6.6,4:8.22,6:11.02,8:13.82,10:16.62

Packaging / Handling Fee

My product listings does have weight, e.g 190.00

When i go the website and go through checkout (checkout_shipping.php), no UK Shipping methods shows up.

The flat rates works but no Royal Mail shipping options shows up. Does anyone know why i'm not getting any RM shipping methods on the website?? help please.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for the contribution

Could you please clarify which methodss are for international delivery?

(1) Royal Mail First Class Standard Post

(2) Royal Mail First Class Recorded Post

(3) Royal Mail Second Class Standard Post

(4) Royal Mail Second Class Recorded Post

(5) Royal Mail Standard Parcels

(6) Royal Mail Airmail

(7) Royal Mail International Signed for

(8) Royal Mail Airsure

(9) Royal Mail Surface

(10) Parcelforce 48

(11) Citylink Next Day

and also which php files are assiciated with them

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

can some boby please help. i think i may have gone wrong.

i have made the changes to the catalog/checkout_shipping.php file and uploaded it to my server.

i then uploaded all the files to the correct locations

1. Shipping file - catalog/includes/modules/shipping/MODULENAME.php

2. Language file - catalog/includes/languages/english/MODULENAME.php

3. Image Icon = catalog/images/icons/shipping_MODULENAME.gif/jpg

i uploaded all versions for all methods for post from package v2.2.1 then updated the prices from the latest version.

i receive this on my admin page when i come to install the packages

Shipping Modules  

Modules Sort Order Action  

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/citylink.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/citylink.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_CITYLINK_TEXT_TITLE    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/flat.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/flat.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_FLAT_TEXT_TITLE 2   
Per Item 1   

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/parcelforce48.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/parcelforce48.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_PARCELFORCE48_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmairmail.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmairmail.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMAIRMAIL_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmairsure.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmairsure.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMAIRSURE_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    
Royal Mail 1st Class Standard v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmfirstrec.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmfirstrec.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMFIRSTREC_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmintsig.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmintsig.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMINTSIG_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmsecond.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmsecond.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMSECOND_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    
Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmspecial.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmspecial.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMSPECIAL_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmstandardparcel.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmstandardparcel.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMSTANDARDPARCEL_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmsurface.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmsurface.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_RMSURFACE_TEXT_TITLE v?.?    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/table.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/table.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_TABLE_TEXT_TITLE    
United States Postal Service    

Warning: include(/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/zones.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/zones.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/admin/modules.php on line 128
MODULE_SHIPPING_ZONES_TEXT_TITLE 0   
Module Directory: /www/sites/7f3/e3f/www.purelypoultry.net/web/includes/modules/shipping/ 

can any one shed any light on what i have done wrong.

Regards

Raelrigs