• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIB] UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods

Hi

Is there any way to increasing the postage cost according to how much compensation is needed.

Say the cart is under ?100 and standard parcel only need ?1 added.

Cart up to ?250 only needs ?2.25 added.

hope some one can help

thanks

I have found that the standard parcel does add compensation on as the cart total goes up.

Is there any way of adding this function to the Special Delivery Method.

thanks

Wicked contribution, and i have just about got my head round the whole oscommerce thing, but was wondering with this:

i am adding a ?1.00 handling fee for mailers etc.. and everytime i click update on the postage type (ie. 1st class postage) it doesn't seem to write the 1.00 value, it always returns as 0 ??

Any ideas what could be the problem..

Cheers in advance.

Mighty grand contribution indeed. I seem to be by myself in wanting to change the weight from kg's to g's. I have updated the pricing as per the installation instructions, so instead of;

.1:1.57,.25:2.20

mine now reads

100:1.57,250:2.20 etc etc etc

I have all the shipping methods except citylink installed.

Now, when i try to check out, with a product that weighs 115, and with a postal address in UK, the only method i am presented with is ParcelForce48 with a cost of £14.25 - when i look at the parcel force costs, the entries are;

10000:14.25,15000:18.25,20000:22.25,25000:26.25,30000:30.25,40000:38.25,50000:46

.25,100000:86.50

Heres an example of some of the shipping methods i have amended from .1 to 100;

RM First Class Standard

100:1,250.00:1.27,500.00:1.7,750.00:2.2,1000.00:2.7,1250.00:4.74,1500.00:5.59,17

50.00:6.44,2000.00:7.29,2250.00:8.14,2500.00:8.99,2750.00:9.84,3000.00:10.69

RM First Class Recorded

100:1.68,250:1.95,500:2.38,750:2.88,1000:3.38,1250:5.42,1500:6.27,1750:7.12,2000

:7.97,2250:8.82,2500:9.67,2750:10.52,3000:11.37

Now, to throw a curveball into the matter - when i change the postal address to a USA address, i get AIRMAIL calculated correctly at £2.48 - heres the airmail rates;

Zone 2 Shipping Table

100:1.46,200:2.48,300:3.43,400:4.38,500:5.33,600:6.28,700:7.23,800:8.18,900:9.13

,1000:10.08,1100:11.03,1200:11.98,1300:12.93,1400:13.88,1500:14.83,1600:15.78,170

0:16.73,1800:17.68,1900:18.63,2000:19.58,99:999

I have a fairly clean install of oscommerce, i don't have any other contributions affecting shipping or checkout.

If anyone is familiar with the construct of this contribute, perhaps they could suggest where i should start looking to bug hunt this one. If anyone else has changed the weighing from kg's to g's and it has worked without issues, please let me know.

ok, found out where the problem was with regards to working in g's;

within each of the royal mail files under \catalog\includes\modules\shipping

find the lines which dictate whether or not this shipping method is displayed;

if ($total_weight > 3)

and change to

find the line

if ($total_weight > 3000)

if your working in grams, you'll also want to change the message displayed on each of the shipping options to read "Delivery Weight xxxg's" rathter than kg's - do this in each of the pages under \catalog\includes\languages\english\modules\shipping

find the line

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_RMFIRST_TEXT_UNITS', 'Kg\'s');

change to

define('MODULE_SHIPPING_RMFIRST_TEXT_UNITS', 'g\'s');

hope this may be of help to someone else working in g's

Hi Guys

First off bloomin nice mod

Few quick issues tho

I had a customer order a case that weighed about 12 kilo and was able to select special delivery which only charged him 4.50 as it said that there was no postage rate available for this method.

(think i deleted the order but will see if i still have it)

Also can you make the mod nice na easy to edit "inital city link" to another courier name?

Finally, how would i get it so that I can add shipping rates for ireland?

Thanks for the contrib again!

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

Bugger I got a bit of a problem.

I edited my

catalog\includes\modules\shipping\zones.php

and at line 111

changed it to

// CUSTOMIZE THIS SETTING FOR THE NUMBER OF ZONES NEEDED

$this->num_zones = 3;

instead of 1. What ive noticed now is that the city link option has gone from my list

Any ideas whats caused this behaviour. Ive made sure that my settings are set to uk for thecustomer that im testing with and lost for ideas.

helllllpppp

Things still to do before going "live" in no real order...

Change "buy now buttons" css styles

Change "lets see what we have here" into something meaningfull

Main logo of the website

Sort out currency to make site UK only (at present)

Remove "xx requests since" stuff

Update mainpage :D

Move shopping cart status into header

Add in stock status to product listing page

Define styles for product listing standardisation

Change CSS background for Headings

Increase Category size headings

Used mods so far:- basic_design_pack1mk7 | Google XML sitemap w admin | Paypal IPN v 1.2 | Feedmachine | pricematch_1_3_1 | Dynamic Sitemap 1.6 | Whos online Enhancement | Easypopulate 2.72

Each one that I solve I;ll be putting a post on the forum in a "completed shop" thread that Im writing up

• 2 weeks later...

Very good contribution,

only one thing I need to change:

instead of weight I'd like to use the total price, when calculating the shipping costs. Just like the table rate module.

I'm not using Table Rate, just because it's always showing, and I want to provide different postage prices to international customers.

Please help me out,

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using this contribution for some months (well I would have been if people had been buying) and it does most of what I want.

Just a couple of things tho'

Currently airmail is shown as `International signed for`. I want to give option of unsigned for - is it just a case of taking out the text from the language file, or are there any other issues (eg. International signed for has some restrictions as to destination).

I've also thought about a surface mail version - purely because some of my items are heavy in relation to value, so it puts off some customers.

I'm thinking of having a go myself - I am beginning to get to grips with things - but need a pointer for 10.

(Nb. I have a development system on my PC so can play around with things till I get them right).

Has anyone done any of these mods already, or know of any pitfalls I should avoid.

This is something I've been after too (see a page or two back). I tried, but a few more mods are necessary to the copy of the 'International Signed For' file than just language changes as some variable names need to change I think so that they don't conflict with the extant 'International Signed For' PHP file.

Do let us know how you get on!

i have installed this amazin contribution. thank you for your effort. what i need to know is how to remove the line which shows the weight of the products in your basket when you choose your shipping option.

I have removed a line from the includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmfirst.php but it still shows this string on the checkout page: MODULE_SHIPPING_RMFIRST_TEXT_WAY : 2.55

I've done a quick mod for `surface mail` on my home system, and it seems to work, and suggests how I could set the whole thing up so that you can offer airmail Europe, airmail rest of world, as well as airmails including international signed for.

It seems to work on my test system, but I need to check it all out thoroughly before I unleash it on the world.

Question is - should I provide it as an `add-on` to the standard contribution, or should I try and get it included within the main contribution (which is my preferred option). After all if I did that it would be up to the individaul store as to which bits they implemented.

Another question (I hope someone knows this) is how do I get it into the contributions once I've tested it - what is the process? I used to work in I.T. and one of the biggest worries is `ad-hoc` amendments that inadvertanly fowl up the sytem and I want to try and prevent that.

Hi all.. this is a great idea for a contrib and I really hope I can get it working but right now I'm having trouble. Can someone just tell me if what I'm trying to do is possible?

I would like to have RM first, RM second and Airmail only. In theory if I just copy those modules into the shipping directory and relevant language files into correct place, and comment out the limits code (as requested I think, although this sentence in the install instructions is a little ambiguous "PLEASE OPEN THE ROYAL MAIL MODULES AND REMOVE THE LIMITS") should everything work fine?

Thanks in advance. Ben.

Also, If I get this working I plan to add a Surface mail shipping option. Will this be of use to anyone?

Surface mail would definately be of a big help to me - has anyone had chance to do this successfully??

Hi,

This is a great contrib but I have a slight problem.

I have quite a lot of orders from the US which go over 2000g but currently I can't ship to them as the shipping price is about £1000, and for some reason the US customer feel they can't afford it!

What do people use for that no-mans land between 2kg (RM International) and 10kg (Citylink) and how??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

This is a great contrib but I have a slight problem.

I have quite a lot of orders from the US which go over 2000g but currently I can't ship to them as the shipping price is about £1000, and for some reason the US customer feel they can't afford it!

What do people use for that no-mans land between 2kg (RM International) and 10kg (Citylink) and how??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Given that it doesn't seem that the contrib can handle sending an international package over 2KG, is there a way to just use the $shipping_num_boxes so that if someone put a 5 kg order it would just price it as if it was a 2kg plus a 2kg plus a 1kg order???

I think I may have cracked it - I've tested the `surface mail` option on my own test system and it seems to work, but as I said before I am not sure how to release it.

As far as Airmail is concerned, the existing `airmail international signed for` option will work for most people who do not want to provide `International signed for`.

Basically all you need to do is to edit one file :

./includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/airmail.php.

(where the initial `.` is your shopping home directory)

this is a straighforward text file - and within it you will find the text that is displayed on screens, emails, etc. All you need to do is edit the text to suit your needs.

The main process itself has airmail costs excluding the `signed for` or `airsure` fee - so works ok as long as you have not loaded the handling fee to include the extra £3 to £4 these services charge. (I've checked them today on the Royal Mail site)

I have only tested this generally, and it may be that there is a restriction relating to countries tha don't accept International signed for (although the post office site says that if you can send airmail, you should be able to send international signed for). But anyway if you couldn't send a signed for item to a particular country would you want to send anything anyway?

I want to release the surface mail option, as I think it works (no absolute guarantees - but it is a clone of all the standard shipping scripts. Anyone know how?

I want to release the surface mail option, as I think it works (no absolute guarantees - but it is a clone of all the standard shipping scripts. Anyone know how?

Hi Charles,

If you are adding a file to the existing contribution, you can click on the "Add A File to this package" contribute_file.gif link at the top of the contribution's page.

If you want to release a new contribution, you click on the "Contribute a new package" contribute_package.gif link on the main contributions' page at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions

To make it easier for people who download the package, I think that it is better to include all of the files in the newly uploaded package so that everything is complete. It can be awkward having to download and reconcile several files to get a a fully working contribution.

Hope this was the answer you needed.

• 3 weeks later...
Antonimo - thanks that is exactly what I wanted - have to agree that it is always better if these things can be included in originaly package - all I need to do now is sort out a release file and some instructions, etc.

Hi,

Any idea when the Surface Mail option contrib might be made available??

Thanks

Hi,

Any idea when the Surface Mail option contrib might be made available??

Thanks

Sorry for delay - I've been ill for a couple of weeks and frankly haven't done anything. I hope to get the release mechanism sorted out in the next day or so. Unfortunately it is only in English so if people need other languages they will have to modify files themselves.

Hi,

I have installed this excellent contribution, all works fine except if I have 3 or more items in my basket when I check out the recorded options are not displayed.

If I edit the cart and remove items so that there are 2 or less items then the recored options are dispalyed. Very odd!

Any ideas?

Rob.

Edited by robburne

Opps it was because the value was over £32 and therefore it was not covered by the recorded option!

2 other questions though:

- Royal Mail Standard Parcels seems to add a £1 base rate to any shipping totals, why is this and can it be changed?

- Is it possible to change the name of the shipping modules, for example I want to remove the signed for from the International option and adjust the rates accordingly. Is this possible.

This module really does rock and is the best for UK shippers, I have tried the other modules and none touch this one.

Thnka you very much!

Rob.

Opps it was because the value was over £32 and therefore it was not covered by the recorded option!

2 other questions though:

- Royal Mail Standard Parcels seems to add a £1 base rate to any shipping totals, why is this and can it be changed?

- Is it possible to change the name of the shipping modules, for example I want to remove the signed for from the International option and adjust the rates accordingly. Is this possible.

This module really does rock and is the best for UK shippers, I have tried the other modules and none touch this one.

Thnka you very much!

Rob.

All the text displayed is to be found in a file called catalog/includes/languages/modules/shipping/xxx.php (where xxx is the individual module. Just change the text in there.

Also for those interested I have now posted my Surface mail option - I hope it works out there - it seems to on my system.