• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

(Almost) Completely Lost -PayPal

Hi all,

Please let me begin by saying that I have read thread after thread on the OsComm boards about this issue and I must be a real dummy but I can't seem to figure out exactly what I should do to correct my current problem with Paypal payments.

I am a newbie to OsCommerce although not to the net and to selling things. I have installed the PayPal module and input my appropriate PayPal information. I do not have PayPal IPN on (couldn't figure it out), and I do not have PayPal's Payment Data Transfer turned on either (couldn't figure that one out either).

I have installed no contributions to my store.

I have gone into PayPal and told it my return URL, and I have tested it, and it seems to work.

I did a test order and payment (to myself). The process allows a payment to be made for

a specific designated item that I added to my shopping cart, PayPal receives the payment and notifies me by email of the payment and my Oscomm admin panel indicates that an order has been received. HOWEVER,

the email that PayPal sends does NOT indicate WHICH PARTICULAR ITEM has been paid for - it only says that a payment for X dollars has been made. There is no indication of what the payment is for. That is also the case when I look at the payment in my PayPal account - there is no indication of

what has been paid for, only that money has been sent to me by that person.

There is something about the way my store is currently set up that is not telling PayPal

what specific item is being purchased (and what item is being paid for). Something

about my setup of OsComm is not communicating that very crucial piece

of information to PayPal.

Can you please advise me on what additional thing(s) need to be changed, and give

me VERY specific directions on how to do so? As I said, I am a newbie to this, and it's hard to figure out. Please be patient with me, I'm trainable.

Thanks in advance for any help - I need it!

Im a Noob too M8....Altough your looking for an answer about the paypal account paying for X item but not saying what the item is......Well you do need paypal IPN, but like you i have a clue how to put the .perm files.....But the old paypal your using does seem to take the money and not interested what it was for.

Im a Noob too M8....Altough your looking for an answer about the paypal account paying for X item but not saying what the item is......Well you do need paypal IPN, but like you i have a clue how to put the .perm files.....But the old paypal your using does seem to take the money and not interested what it was for.

Guys, if you are going to install PayPal IPN then you really need to read this first and then re-read it. Pay close attention to post #13 as this will solve many a headache in trying to get this contribution to work. Follow all the instrutions in that thread and be sure to backup both you catalog and your database before attempting to install any and all contributions.

I don't know if I need to install PayPal IPN or not, I am looking for some guidance on whether I do or not....

Post #13 of which thread?

And I wouldn't know how to backup the catalog and the database, as I said I'm a real newbie at OsCommerce. Can you tell me how that's done?

Thanks again

If the customer does not come back to your store osCommerce can not log the order. There are two contributions I suggest you install if you do not want to install the paypal IPN.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3725

and

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,871 (which is a good one to have no matter who your payment processor is I think)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I don't know if I need to install PayPal IPN or not, I am looking for some guidance on whether I do or not....

Post #13 of which thread?

And I wouldn't know how to backup the catalog and the database, as I said I'm a real newbie at OsCommerce. Can you tell me how that's done?

Thanks again

I'm sorry I forgot to include the link

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166092

There you go and hope it helps in making you decision.

I'm sorry I forgot to include the link

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166092

There you go and hope it helps in making you decision.

Thanks guys. PayPal IPN looks WAY over my head. I don't understand anything that I've read about it, both here and on PayPal's site, not even the first sentence. So I guess I won't be installing IPN.

I've added in language on my paypal.php that tells the buyer his order can't be processed unless he returns to my website after making his paypal payment by clicking return to merchant. I've also set up Auto-Return in my PayPal profile and given it my checkout_php url.

Is there anything else I can do to get which item the customer ordered show up along with the payment amount? Remember I am a total newbie at osc and not a bright bulb to begin with, and I really need some step by step instructions.

Thanks again