• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Optional Related Products - how to modify?

georgei

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Skittles:

Monty here, at Brance-Krachy Company in Houston. My client is asking for something similar to Optional Related Products, but was hoping for more of an integrated ordering experience. She may be willing to go with ORP as-is for now, but I may work on an updated version for the future. By referring to this discussion thread (mentioned in the release/download page) I was able to find out much more about what ORP actually does, and even visit a couple of sites that have it working. I think it will make an excellent starting point for the functions I am asked for.

The extensions: my client is a major distributor of industrial motors, electrical and mechanical parts. And some of those parts can be configured with other parts. For example, an anode can be ordered with a heat shrink cap installed, and with any number of feet of cable attached, and the cable can be any of several types. The heat shrink cap and cable are each products in their own right. So my client wants the order taker to be able to take an online order for an anode with no heat shrink cap and 100 feet of #8 cable, and another anode with a 3" cap and 86 feet of cable, all on the same order, and be able to tell which options should be attached to which anodes.

Thank you for supporting ORP.

.....MontyMan.

www.brancekrachy.com

Dear Skittles:

Monty here, at Brance-Krachy Company in Houston. My client is asking for something similar to Optional Related Products, but was hoping for more of an integrated ordering experience. She may be willing to go with ORP as-is for now, but I may work on an updated version for the future. By referring to this discussion thread (mentioned in the release/download page) I was able to find out much more about what ORP actually does, and even visit a couple of sites that have it working. I think it will make an excellent starting point for the functions I am asked for.

The extensions: my client is a major distributor of industrial motors, electrical and mechanical parts. And some of those parts can be configured with other parts. For example, an anode can be ordered with a heat shrink cap installed, and with any number of feet of cable attached, and the cable can be any of several types. The heat shrink cap and cable are each products in their own right. So my client wants the order taker to be able to take an online order for an anode with no heat shrink cap and 100 feet of #8 cable, and another anode with a 3" cap and 86 feet of cable, all on the same order, and be able to tell which options should be attached to which anodes.

Thank you for supporting ORP.

.....MontyMan.

www.brancekrachy.com

Hi Monty,

Welcome to the forum...

There is another contribution you may want to look at, too, Bundled Products. I'm considering implenting it on a client's site. It may have some helpful code in it for what you want to do. And the download is a single text file, which should make it easier for you to dissect it for code useable in your endeavor.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your client. However, it sounds like it would radically change the focus of Optional Related Products, which means it will be a great candidate for a separate contribution. Go for it!

Good luck. And keep us posted...

-Skittles

P.S. Thanks for the kudos. I actually enjoy supporting this contrib. Makes for a nice diversion from real work. :-"

Hi all,

first of all this truly is a great contrib !! I just have one small question:

I'd like the related products box to show up in the same background color design as all my other boxes and like to include an appropriate reference to my stylesheet - but cant quite figure out where exactly and how exactly I have to put this code.

Could anyone offer some clues?

Many thanks !!

BB

Hi all,

first of all this truly is a great contrib !! I just have one small question:

I'd like the related products box to show up in the same background color design as all my other boxes and like to include an appropriate reference to my stylesheet - but cant quite figure out where exactly and how exactly I have to put this code.

Could anyone offer some clues?

Many thanks !!

BB

Hi BB,

It sounds like you have customized your store, and are using styles other than the defaults that came with osCommerce. Good for you!

All the html is part of the php and preceded by "echo".

Look for

echo '<tr><td><table class="productlisting" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="100%">';

And replace "productlisting".

Look for:

echo '<tr><td align="center" class="productListing-heading"> '.TEXT_RELATED_PRODUCTS.' </td></tr><tr><td align="center" class="productListing-data">';

And replace "productListing-heading".

Look for:

echo '<td class="productListing-data" align="center">';

And replace "productListing-data".

That should do it.

By the way, for anyone else "listening in", I found a typo: class="productlisting" should be class="productListing", with an uppercase 'L'.

Cheers,

-Skittles

many thanks for the fast reply, Skitties.

Works perfectly now ! and by the way of course I replaced the odd standard design thats so ugly that hopefully no shopowner keeps that in place :-))

Skitties - another small question - sorry i couldnt figure it out myself: :'(

What code do I need to change that I get only image and descirption displayed, ie no price. Currently I get the price listed below the related product's description - which I dont want.

Many thanks again !!

Skitties - another small question - sorry i couldnt figure it out myself: :'(

What code do I need to change that I get only image and descirption displayed, ie no price. Currently I get the price listed below the related product's description - which I dont want.

Many thanks again !!

BBrip,

Check this post. It shows where to comment out the price. Just ignore the rest of the code changes.

For now, that's the only way to do it.

-Skittles

PS. By the way, the name's Skittles with an 'L', ;) like the candy. (And the name of a very skittish cat...)

Hi Skittles,

All works great now! I also put the table below the Buy Now button as you wrote above!

Many thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Eric :D :D :D

Hi Eric,

Glad to hear you got it working. Did you put the code in a separate file? I think it is less confusing that way. I plan on making that change to the next version I release. (Unless, of course, someone beats me to it!)

Have a great weekend.

-Skittles

Hi Eric,

Glad to hear you got it working. Did you put the code in a separate file? I think it is less confusing that way. I plan on making that change to the next version I release. (Unless, of course, someone beats me to it!)

Have a great weekend.

-Skittles

Hi Skittles,

Yes i put the code in a different file as you instructed, easy to do and works perfect!

Putting these changes in the contrib is a good idea.

Thanks again and have a great weekend too ;-)

Eric :lol:

BBrip,

Check this post. It shows where to comment out the price. Just ignore the rest of the code changes.

For now, that's the only way to do it.

-Skittles

PS. By the way, the name's Skittles with an 'L', ;) like the candy. (And the name of a very skittish cat...)

Great. Works perfectly. Thanks skittles (sorry to get your name wrong...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I was hoping someone here could help me out with this.

Is there a way to have the "related products" box appear BELOW the "Add to cart" button? As it is now on my shop it shows above the "reviews" and "add to cart" buttons, and I wonder if the customer even sees the "add to cart button" when the product description is long and (unless you scroll way down) only the "related products" box shows clearly.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I think this contribution is great!!!

jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

Hi,

I was hoping someone here could help me out with this.

Is there a way to have the "related products" box appear BELOW the "Add to cart" button? As it is now on my shop it shows above the "reviews" and "add to cart" buttons, and I wonder if the customer even sees the "add to cart button" when the product description is long and (unless you scroll way down) only the "related products" box shows clearly.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I think this contribution is great!!!

jailaxmi

See post #47 above.......................

See post #47 above.......................

Here's a direct link: Post #47

-Skittles

P.S. And off topic:

To those of us in the US, have a Happy Thanksgiving. Don't eat too much turkey.

And if you like football and get the chance, watch the Detroit Lions play the Miami Dolphins. Joey Harrington, current QB for the Dolphins use to be the QB for the Lions. I hope my home boy kicks butt. (Joey's from Oregon, went to the UofO, here in Eugene. And if that's not enough, my maiden name is Harrington--sad to say, though, we're not related.)

And if you're not in or from the US, I wish for you a great weekend, too.

Here's a direct link: Post #47

-Skittles

Thanks! Just one more (stupid) question: which file is post 47 referring to? :blush:

Thanks again!

jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

which file is post 47 referring to?

Yol,

The file is product_info.php.

You will be removing the code you added for the modification in the first place, creating a new file with the code you removed from product_info.php, then referencing the new file with an include statement.

I found the single line of code less confusing to work with, when looking for the correct placement to have the Related Products show up under the "order" button.

If you need more help, feel free to PM me.

-Skittles

Yol,

The file is product_info.php.

You will be removing the code you added for the modification in the first place, creating a new file with the code you removed from product_info.php, then referencing the new file with an include statement.

I found the single line of code less confusing to work with, when looking for the correct placement to have the Related Products show up under the "order" button.

If you need more help, feel free to PM me.

-Skittles

Hey Skittles,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help!!! You are so helpful and such an awsome code master! Thanks for taking the time to help me out with my silly questions. I like the way my store looks much better now. :thumbsup:

Take care!

jailaxmi

Hey Skittles,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help!!! You are so helpful and such an awsome code master! Thanks for taking the time to help me out with my silly questions. I like the way my store looks much better now. :thumbsup:

Take care!

jailaxmi

Jailaxmi,

I'm happy I was able to help, and that you like the new look of your site.

Details really do make a big difference in how we are perceived by our visitors. I'm glad you stuck with it until you got things working the way you wanted.

I hope this means you can slow down a bit and enjoy the weekend. :D

-Skittles

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Skittles and all other fellow contributors :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update, I now have control over the rows and columns :D

Is it possible to add a "Buy now"-Button below the price of each related product? :blush:

Anyone??

Is it possible to add a "Buy now"-Button below the price of each related product? :blush:

Anyone??

Better yet, how about making the box appear on the shopping cart page with a buy now button? (Need to figure out how to deal with a cart with multiple products in it?}

Edited by baddog

Anyone??

tbruelan,

I don't see why not, as long as all of your products do not have any options/attributes. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

-Skittles

tbruelan,

I don't see why not, as long as all of your products do not have any options/attributes. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

-Skittles

Skittles,

It could be like the buy now button on the page showing Products Available For Purchase......it takes you to the product page rather than actually adding it to the cart.

Better yet, how about making the box appear on the shopping cart page with a buy now button? (Need to figure out how to deal with a cart with multiple products in it?}

Hey baddog!

This might be a good application for Related Products in the side bar, where the potential for a long page exists.

Without trying it, it seems that one way of dealing with multiple items in the cart would be to pull the related products of the last item added to the cart. That would be most useful, I suppose, if the customer is taken to the cart every time they add a product.

Another idea would be to pull the related products for all the items in the cart, and randomly display X number of them.

There is a lot more to this than with a product page, though. I'm willing to look at it, but probably not before Christmas. Got too many irons in the fire as it is, not counting familial obligations...

-Skittles