• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

GBuy... who is working on a Mod?

stevemills

I am contemplating purchasing the code for Google Checkout (Level 2) from some of the sources outside of the oscommerce community. Is anyone working on a contribution, or have an update on the status of one? Or could someone give some feedback on the existing modules that they purchased from Graith / Portal Planet so I may make my decision. I just don?t want to pay $150 for code that will be released freely tomorrow or something. Thanks.

Well right now it sounds like you would pay $150 to interface with something that isn't working to well right now. Do you need it that badly? Are we all so starved for a good merchant service hmm?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we all so starved for a good merchant service hmm?

Indeed! As this is an alternative to paypal, I welcome it with open arms. Some of us aren't 'big' enough per se to have a full on merchant account, so Paypal and similar systems are our only viable options. Google hopping in on it is an excellent thing for me.

-Chad

I found a number of moduels available - do a Google search for: "google checkout oscommerce" Some free - some cost $34 - $250.

As far as I can tell, the ones less than $90 are level 1 and very basic.

There are a number of adverts for the Magnetic One L2 module but it's still not ready. It's been promised all August for a few days.

i don't have a problem paying $150 for the module...

but I do have a problem with this....

The orders stay in "reviewing" stage usually for 24 hours or more. Only after they leave this stage can you charge the customer's card. This obviously delays orders for too long a time. Google checkout is not ready for widespread use just yet.

In my business (music downloads) .. that would kill me

I won't be using G-Buy until this is resolved

Edited by Mediajuggle

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

Good Lord $90 for this??? I understand you want to get paid for your time but honestly after it's already finished when do you think this project will pay for itself? I mean a year from now you will just be reaping income from this to be used on a cart I installed for free. So it won't be paying for your time unless you think it's just that vaulable. Just like you have wife, kids, and mortages to pay for. Some of us have the same and I can't see myself paying $90 for something I don't know if I would continue to use as it sounds like this whole Google Checkout is a nightmare right now. I don't condone you wanting to charge but dang. Is it really worth $90? That is literally a tank of gas for my truck right now.

So in the meantime has anyone got the one in the contributions working. I have entered all my info in the GlobalAPIFunctions.php but I keep getting this error:

Warning: error_log(/home/txcampin/public_htmlgooglecheckout/error.log) [function.error-log]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/txcampin/public_html/googlecheckout/GlobalAPIFunctions.php on line 508

Has anyone else encountered this that has a fix?

Search the forum and contributions before posting. If that doesn't work, keep looking, then post. The forum is for seeking help and advice NOT for someone to do your work for you. Try to do something on your on, if you are going to run a shop then learn how it works.

I just completed writing a Level 2 implementation of Google Checkout including merchant calculations and auto charging. It's not a simple task and I can understand completely why Graith would want to be compensated for his time. I'm considering offering my code for sale after I put so much time into it. And honestly, if you can't part with a one time $90-200 charge then maybe you arent serious enough about the business. That price is negligible when looking at the benefits of adding the checkout system to your site and not having to code it yourself.

D

I have to agree that this code are well worth the money. I have checked into getting one done by a freelancer and they want much more.

I have a question, if using a level 2 intergration - does the customer stay on your site? Or are they still sent to Googles site?

Does anyone have a demo set-up with Googles test server so I can see how it works? I have a number of sites that I could use this on.

Thanks,

Philip

The customer is always sent to Googles site immediately. They go directly from the Shopping cart page to Google's page. There's no way to keep them on your site. At the end of the Google process, the customer is given a link back to your site, but thats it.

D

Good Lord $90 for this??? [sNIP]

Yeah, but it's down from the original price of $250 I think. I don't know how much programmers charge/make but as a Pharmacy Technician-by-day I make around $1700-$1900/month. At $250 a pop, 8 downloads would have been more than enough IMHO to make this thing free. Making money is certainly necessary in our lives, and if your 'job' is a programmer, you certainly should charge for software. But a plugin that allows checkout via GoogleCheckout should be priced a little more 'fair'. If it indeed took you 8 weeks to program this addon, then charge a fair price, let those willing to 'download early' do so and pay for it. But 6 months? Assuming you got a few takers at 250, and several more at 150, you are probably far over a $4000 mark that I think is fair for 8 weeks of programming service (assuming you spent 5 days/week 8 hours/day). Obviously I'm not a programmer, nor do I pretend to be. But I do value both your time as well as your choice to charge what you want. But, who makes more money; the person selling 1 thing for a million dollars, or a person selling a million and 1 things for $1? Assuming an exhaustible resource, it's nearly equal right. However, in this case, you have the potential to make *far* more than the person selling 1 thing for a million bucks.

I'd have purchased this thing when you first offered it had it been somewhere in the ballpark of 15-25 USD. For 250, 150 or even $90 I think you are raping those who can purchase, and screwing yourself from potential business from those who cannot (or will not where the case may be) purchase your plugin at your (IMHO uber-inflated) prices.

-Chad

[snip]

So in the meantime has anyone got the one in the contributions working. I have entered all my info in the GlobalAPIFunctions.php but I keep getting this error:

Warning: error_log(/home/txcampin/public_htmlgooglecheckout/error.log) [function.error-log]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/txcampin/public_html/googlecheckout/GlobalAPIFunctions.php on line 508

Has anyone else encountered this that has a fix?

Not having used the code [yet] I would think that you may have improper permissions, or are missing a file. What happens if you:

ls -lh /home/txcampin/public_html/googlecheckout/error.log

If the file doesn't exist you could:

touch /home/txcampin/public_html/googlecheckout/error.log

-Chad