• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

GBuy... who is working on a Mod?

stevemills

I signed up for an Email alert from Graith.net when he had the code ready, It is ready but I WILL NOT pay for it! Open Source is just that OPEN SOURCE! How much money has he made off of others? This forum is for Open Source code not FOR SALE code.

We need to stick together and get this Google Checkout available to anyone who wants it! Not just those who can buy it!

I will start working on a free contrib and we should start a new thread for a developers working on a free version thread.

Life Is Too Short,

Enjoy Your Coffee!

Pete

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed up for an Email alert from Graith.net when he had the code ready, It is ready but I WILL NOT pay for it! Open Source is just that OPEN SOURCE! How much money has he made off of others? This forum is for Open Source code not FOR SALE code.

We need to stick together and get this Google Checkout available to anyone who wants it! Not just those who can buy it!

I will start working on a free contrib and we should start a new thread for a developers working on a free version thread.

No offense but I think you're totally wrong!

1. First of all open source is not a synonym for FREE! People need to stop thinking in those terms because that's where the problems arise when they assume that they have to be handed something on a silver platter. You can FREELY modify the source code of these projects but that doesn't mean that the project has to be free. Though there are alot of open source projects that don't cost anything there are some that do.

2. The main body of OsC has been provided to us free of charge but if there's specific things we need for our store to function and we're not programmers, do we sit on our a**es and wait for a programmer to spend his time writing a contribution for us for FREE or do we take the matter into our hands and sometimes pay for what we need.

My store has a lot of functionality both frontend and backend that no other oscommerce site up to this point has. I paid to have it done because if I waited for music store specific functions to be released as FREE contributions, I'd still be waiting!

3. Your belief that Gaith should spend his time writing and testing a contribution to make free for your use is just crazy! He has the skill, he spent his time writing a contribution, he wants to make a little money from his time. Get over it!!! That's him!! If there's other people that are working on a contribution doing the same thing and they want to release it as a free contribution, then great!!! That's them!! It doesn't make one right and one wrong!

4. If you don't want to use Gaith's contribution which is available NOW, so be it. Don't use it. But to bad mouth someone because YOU believe that they're hard work should be FREE is assinine!!!!

Edited by Mediajuggle

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

No offense but I think you're totally wrong!

1. First of all open source is not a synonym for FREE! People need to stop thinking in those terms because that's where the problems arise when they assume that they have to be handed something on a silver platter. You can FREELY modify the source code of these projects but that doesn't mean that the project has to be free. Though there are alot of open source projects that don't cost anything there are some that do.

2. The main body of OsC has been provided to us free of charge but if there's specific things we need for our store to function and we're not programmers, do we sit on our a**es and wait for a programmer to spend his time writing a contribution for us for FREE or do we take the matter into our hands and sometimes pay for what we need.

My store has a lot of functionality both frontend and backend that no other oscommerce site up to this point has. I paid to have it done because if I waited for music store specific functions to be released as FREE contributions, I'd still be waiting!

3. Your belief that Gaith should spend his time writing and testing a contribution to make free for your use is just crazy! He has the skill, he spent his time writing a contribution, he wants to make a little money from his time. Get over it!!! That's him!! If there's other people that are working on a contribution doing the same thing and they want to release it as a free contribution, then great!!! That's them!! It doesn't make one right and one wrong!

4. If you don't want to use Gaith's contribution which is available NOW, so be it. Don't use it. But to bad mouth someone because YOU believe that they're hard work should be FREE is assinine!!!!

I do all of my own editing and I am not a programmer. I just run my entire business! I may be wrong about the code but I always have found some very intricate pieces of code here that are free. The Multi Vendor Shipping for one. The PayPal integrations. Many others too. You can get them for free here. I think that we are all helping each other out by adding new mods.

When I started my OSCommerce store 3 years ago it seemed like a LOT of people like me, just doing our own sites. Not selling them to others. Now it seems that there are more people selling it, than just using it themselves.

And no I don't think that his work will be free, if you are selling this to other customers then you charge them for it and that is the profit. Don't call me assinine!!!!! I live in the US wher Freedom of Speach still reigns!!!! I respect your right to buy code but you could respect mine too. I respect graith for doing the code. But even on his site you had to add the item to your cart to get the price! And it is a LOT more than just a few bucks from each buyer! It just seemed to me like he was trying to hide the fact that he was charging for it! If you want to sell it, say so with the price too.

Life Is Too Short,

Enjoy Your Coffee!

Pete

... I may be wrong about the code but I always have found some very intricate pieces of code here that are free. ... When I started my OSCommerce store 3 years ago it seemed like a LOT of people like me, just doing our own sites. Not selling them to others. Now it seems that there are more people selling it, than just using it themselves.

Yes, you are wrong about the code. Open source does not have to mean free although a lot of people seem to associate it with that. Yes, you can get a ton of contributions from the OsCommunity free of charge and that's one of the things that's beautiful about this community. But as Osc grows in complexity it takes a lot more time to create these contributions and then to man the forums to answer questions. That can become a full time job in itself.

Question. You've been using Osc and the contributions to run your business and make money, have you ever donated anything to the contribution authors who have helped you to run your business? It seems to me that some of the people here expect the world without giving anything back. They want their questions answered the minute they post them and then get pissed when they're not. They want new contributions created but never think of even donating something to let the author know that his/her time or hard work is appreciated.

And no I don't think that his work will be free, if you are selling this to other customers then you charge them for it and that is the profit.

Oh so you mean that it should only be FREE FOR YOU? WE are his target market right now. We're the ones who want/need this contribution. If someone wants to create one that works and offer it for free, hell so be it.

Don't call me assinine!!!!! I live in the US wher Freedom of Speach still reigns!!!! I respect your right to buy code but you could respect mine too.

I didn't call YOU assinine! Re-read my post. I've never attacked anyone on this board and never will. You say that you respect his right to generate a few bucks then you create another post and basically take a cheap shot at him for selling his code.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219441

"I am starting this thread to filter out anyone trying to sell you the Google Checkout code instead of adding it as a contribution. (graith)"

You want people to respect YOUR opinion and feelings on a subject but you don't seem to do the same to others.

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

Tax and Shipping can be (very) easily hardcoded into GoogleCheckout.php. I know, it's not ideal, but it works pretty well for me...

A message to abbat,

Hi!

this is my very first post here, and I hadn't seen a shopping cart, or even php coding, until 3 days ago.

So please bear with me.

I can do good html and I've edited applets, javascripts and VRML code in the past, when I had to.

So I'm ready to do it for the cart, because I really want to make this work.

I downloaded your module and it's not installing anything.

I was able to upload all the files in the catalog area as you instructed, the libraries you mentioned are there, and I could enter my Google checkout merchant ID and key into the code.

The OS version I have is 2.2, and it comes with ixwebhosting.

Your module is for version 1. So this may be the reason why.

I looked at the payment module in the OS shopping cart,

and all the phps for all the different companies are there.

So when the files are uploaded in "catalog" it's probably not enough.

However, when I upload the Google Checkout php file into the payment module, the system refuses it, and gives me an error message for ALL the other modes of payment.

So it's not working.

If you can help, or someone can help, I'll appreciate since I have 2 weeks this Summer when I have more time than usual to do this., and then I'll be working like a dog again.

I went to the Google checkout blog and they advised coming here for help

Brian, could you clarify that level2 can handle all the attributes associated with an order item and that it will be returned to the admin's order section. And that all attributes will be visible and recorded as all other orders in the oscommerce database.

And that google "calls" back to get our low shipping for that order based on the zip code. (this info will come from ups or fedex) or it may be free if the minimum is met.

I use the master produscts contrib. No problems, right?

I've had a bit of trouble with some custom shipping modules that needed a bit of class initialisation earlier in the process, but they seem to be working now, so yes. My code will work with custom shipping modules and multiple attributes and they'll show correctly in the admin.

You're welcome to the code for free in six months. I'm very happy to contribute my code and expertise to OSC. I did the Barclays ePDQ payment module and I've done a number of other onese free.

BUT

I've got a wife and kids and a house and I'm a professional programmer earning his living from it. I can't feed my kids good wishes and nice feelings. I used my expertise to create something that people are crying out for. I'm now doing it for Zencart too. I've spent a few weeks doing this coding and I feel I should be able to charge for it.

I'm not going to get rich of it, but if I don't at least make some money back from it, I'm not likely to fill a new need like this in the future.

I promise I'll make the code free in six months (USA USD only).

Is that OK for you?

And no I don't think that his work will be free, if you are selling this to other customers then you charge them for it and that is the profit. Don't call me assinine!!!!! I live in the US wher Freedom of Speach still reigns!!!! I respect your right to buy code but you could respect mine too. I respect graith for doing the code. But even on his site you had to add the item to your cart to get the price! And it is a LOT more than just a few bucks from each buyer! It just seemed to me like he was trying to hide the fact that he was charging for it! If you want to sell it, say so with the price too.

Not putting the price on there was an oversight. I was too busy writing codes and doing the next version to check what I'd put. I put the price at $*** because I was first in the world with it available. I've brought it down now because Magnetic One (Ukraine) say they're nearly there (but I haven't seen screenshots).

You charge what you think is right. I need to pay for my time.

There's more programmers selling things for OSC now because there's such a big market for them. 90% of my work now is on OSC sites.

You have a perfect right to say what you want and not buy it. I'll make it free when I've made a few bucks off it. And yes, it is a few bucks. I won't be buying a new car or anything like.

I'm just one guy who knows how to code, knows PHP and decided to meet a need. Sorry to p**s you off.

Brian

I've got a wife and kids and a house ... I can't feed my kids good wishes and nice feelings.

Hi Brian

I agree. :thumbsup: Not a good idea to upset the wife & kids :lol:

I am following this as I want it obviously when it comes to the UK, because of the easy of payment for customers, but I have a question?

My host will not enable ssl & cURL, so will I still be able to have a Google checkout? My current default payment module works, so will there be the same default method which does not require the above?

I promise I'll make the code free in six months (USA USD only).

Does this mean that UK has a different code? :blink: I am NOT a programmer! :-"

Thanks

Julie

Hi Brian

I agree. :thumbsup: Not a good idea to upset the wife & kids :lol:

I am following this as I want it obviously when it comes to the UK, because of the easy of payment for customers, but I have a question?

My host will not enable ssl & cURL, so will I still be able to have a Google checkout? My current default payment module works, so will there be the same default method which does not require the above?

Thanks

Julie

No I'm afraid not. You need Curl and Dom XML at the very least, even for Level 1 Checkout.

Simplest cheapest solution is to move hosts. I hesitate to recommend one - I'm biased.

There's PHP code on my GC page that will tell you if the Curl and DOM XML functions will work (you don't need to know what they are).

Thanks

Julie

Yes. At the moment. Google's API only describes what happens for USA and US Dollars. There will need to be changes for other currencies when Google release the API, I'll make the changes

I just purchased the Google Checkout module from http://www.graith.co.uk/ and installed it on a CRE Loaded V6.2 store and the install took about 10 minutes because the instructions provided by Brian are very clear and precise. This module installs about the same on osCommerce MS2.2 or CRE Loaded I found.

Within 5 minutes after I installed the code I received several orders using Google Checkout!!

The only question I have is that it when you add attributes to your shopping cart and then go to checkout, the price adds up correctly but it doesn?t add the attributes options. So there would be no way to determine what the customer added to the product.

Is there a fix for this or am I just missing something.

Great Module Brian and keep up the good work as I know using Google Checkout with my osCommerce store will increase sales greatly.

You can see the Google Checkout I have installed at work here: http://www.websitetemplatedesign.com/

I just purchased the Google Checkout module from http://www.graith.co.uk/ and installed it on a CRE Loaded V6.2 store and the install took about 10 minutes because the instructions provided by Brian are very clear and precise. This module installs about the same on osCommerce MS2.2 or CRE Loaded I found.

Within 5 minutes after I installed the code I received several orders using Google Checkout!!

The only question I have is that it when you add attributes to your shopping cart and then go to checkout, the price adds up correctly but it doesn?t add the attributes options. So there would be no way to determine what the customer added to the product.

Great Module Brian and keep up the good work as I know using Google Checkout with my osCommerce store will increase sales greatly.

You can see the Google Checkout I have installed at work here: http://www.websitetemplatedesign.com/

Hi!

First I'd like to know if what is called "level 2" works for OsC version 2.2.

This is unclear for the novice.

It sounds kind of miraculous than within 10 minutes there should be several sales in a store that has just installed Google Checkout, since hardly anyone is registered with Google checkout at this point..

But why not.

I have no problem helping feeding kids if I can also feed myself in the process. Just like oxygen masks on airplanes. You have to adjust yours first before you adjust the kid's.

How much is this tool, and will it work for my OSC version 2.2? I don't see the price on the website

I'm not expecting a rush of buyers within ten minutes, but more like next month or so, since the shopping cart site is hardly designed.

Hi!

First I'd like to know if what is called "level 2" works for OsC version 2.2.

This is unclear for the novice.

Level 1 Integration just adds a Google checkout button to your OSCommerce page. If customers have an account with Google (like they can have a Paypal account), they click the button, login with a click (it remembers your login details) and you see your shopping cart and shipping charges and you can click to confirm purchase.

That's it. The Level 1 module uses shipping modules you configure on your OSC site but you don't see the order in your OSC admin panel and it doesn't control stock. You have to adjust that manually. One Level 1 contrib I saw doesn't even take the shipping cost from shipping modules, you have to hard code a fixed price in, so beware.

Level 2 Integration adds communication between OSC and Google Checkout. It records the order and records the purchase as a Google checkout payment with the GC payment ID. In the administration, you can charge the credit card and you can notify your customer that the order has shipped and it will pass on the information to Google without using the Google Control panel. If the credit card payment was declined, the payment status will reflect this.

This code will look for the email address in members details and automatically make them a member if it's not found. This means that Vouchers will work. It will also send you to the Checkout Success page if you come back from Google Checkout (there's no auto-return). That means that Downloads will work too.

It sounds kind of miraculous than within 10 minutes there should be several sales in a store that has just installed Google Checkout, since hardly anyone is registered with Google checkout at this point..

If you click the Google Checkout and don't have an account with them. It's straight-forward to create one, and like Amazon keeping your credit card and address details, it saves an awful lot of form filling on new sites, so for sheer convenience it's a winner.

But why not.

I have no problem helping feeding kids if I can also feed myself in the process. Just like oxygen masks on airplanes. You have to adjust yours first before you adjust the kid's.

How much is this tool, and will it work for my OSC version 2.2? I don't see the price on the website

http://www.graith.co.uk/google_checkout.php

I don't think we're allowed to talk money so I won't. If you google for it, you'll find it and it is priced (now).

Brian

There's some differences between the table structure of the Orders on MS2 vs CRE Loaded. I hadn't produced the install instructions for CRE Loaded. I'm looking into it today. I know where the problem is, it's just a case of setting up a test store myself to debug the problem.

Brian

just wanted to clear a few things up...

first off, open source sort of does mean free. to truly be called open source, the source for a project has to be freely available. yes, the source has to be FREE, or else it is not open source. now you can technically have open source that in fact is not allowed to be free, such as the case with most open source MPEG-4 implementations, but the source is still free. it is just the compiled versions that are not freely redistributable.

second, any modified modules out there that were originally released under GNU or a similar open source license, most definitely have to be freely available. You can not modify a GNU licensed module and then rerelease it as pay only. that is a violation of the license itself and open to legal action by the origial copyright holder of the original module.

now of course modules don't have to be free for oscommerce (unless of course they are modified version of modules originally released under GNU and the original copyright holder hasn't given permission), but there is definitely a big part of me who finds it kind of a d*ck move to take so much from the osc community freely, and then charge to give back to it. I know I have openly shared all of my modifications where applicable, simply because I definitely owe it for everything I have taken from the community. Really, the next time you (generally speaking) want to charge for doing something related to an open source project, think carefully about how much you have taken away from the project, and what would happen if all of those contributors responsible for those projects would have charged you. That's how I look at it.

now back on topic, I am definitely willing to contribute to a module that is already started. I have read over the level 2 api enough to really have a great understanding of how to connect it with osc.. if there is one already ahead in progress I could jump in on it.. if not I am actually interested in looking at starting my own, simply because the more payment options available means the more sales potential.

Graith,

Is it possible to have your module installed as well as the the Paypal IPN Module?

Or in essence have the customer be able to choose between Google Checkout or Paypal?

Thanks,

Brandon

EDIT:

Nevermind, the live store makes it obvious this is possible!

Edited by bgreenlee

Graith,

Is it possible to have your module installed as well as the the Paypal IPN Module?

Or in essence have the customer be able to choose between Google Checkout or Paypal?

Absolutely. You can have as many OSC payment modules installed as you like. Google Checkout isn't a payment module. You have to put it as a new button on the Shopping_cart page. If the customer clicks that button, they leave your site and complete the purchase using their google account.

They can choose to come back to your site after the transaction or not.

Brian

There's some differences between the table structure of the Orders on MS2 vs CRE Loaded. I hadn't produced the install instructions for CRE Loaded. I'm looking into it today. I know where the problem is, it's just a case of setting up a test store myself to debug the problem.

Brian

First off, its a no brainer everyone likes things for free, me included. But Brian if you want to charge for your contrib thats fine with me and many others, as long as the price is reasonable. If you'll notice the people mainly complaining are quite new to the community and/or post very little and seem to lack the knowledge of how time intensive it can be to code and provide bug fixes for something like this can be...

Curious, are the attributes and their prices for ms2+ fixed yet, and if I have the option type contrib installed, which allows for text box input for attributes can those be transfered as well?

Also, if I buy the contrib from you it is wide open so I can modify it to work on my highly customized site if I need to or is the code encrypted?

Thanks.

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Does Graith's mod use the domxml_new_doc from php 4? My version of php doesnt have it available and I was hoping to use an alternative xml method instead of having to tinker with the server.

D

Note to all those looking to use gbuy/google checkout: We used it on our store for a little while. A few orders came through. However - most, if not all orders now go into a stage of processing called "reviewing." I am active on the google checkout forums and many others have the same issue. The orders stay in "reviewing" stage usually for 24 hours or more. Only after they leave this stage can you charge the customer's card. This obviously delays orders for too long a time. Google checkout is not ready for widespread use just yet. Maybe in a month or so when they realize that their fraud protection process is unacceptable. It involves a person going over the order before releasing it for charging - just imagine how many workers they would need to cover the amount of orders coming through EVERY SECOND from all stores using Google Checkout (hint: they ain't even close right now.)

The amount of frustration I've experienced over waiting for orders to go through, fielding customer complaints over delays, and trying to get Google to be responsive to our inquiries over this and other issues is has led us to stay with our current processor.

Take this info into consideration before jumping into it. Or at least get some test orders going through their non-sandbox system.

I am contemplating purchasing the code for Google Checkout (Level 2) from some of the sources outside of the oscommerce community. Is anyone working on a contribution, or have an update on the status of one? Or could someone give some feedback on the existing modules that they purchased from Graith / Portal Planet so I may make my decision. I just don?t want to pay $150 for code that will be released freely tomorrow or something. Thanks.