• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Setting up a computer in a shop environment

bobsi18

Hi there... Not really sure where to start looking for info, so thought I'd approach you guys first :) Feel free 2 give me advice on where to look for info.

We run a small shop with 5 employees. All purchases are mainly done in the shop, with a few web orders each day. Currently, all web orders are collected in an office on a computer that the staff do not have access to - I have to download the order, print it off, walk to the shop and hand it to the staff so that they can process it. I've just convinced management that the staff should be doing this, from within the shop. We have just purchased a shop computer (an Apple Mac G4, running OSX) that will be networked with our current computers.

Management is worried that the staff will use this computer for things other than web orders (e.g. personal email etc). So I am looking into ways to prohibit this. This is where I'm stuck, I have no previous experience with this.

Basically, we want to be able to run

a) an internet browser that can ONLY access www.mydomain.com (and the admin from within that)

b ) a mail application (to receive any email enquiries)

We'd also like the shop computer to be able to access the files off the other networked computers (with password protection).

I'm sort of thinking of a two-user system - 1 user is the 'shop', 1 user is me (who has access to the networked computers). So does anyone know how (or where to find info) to set up a system on mac os that will allow me to do this?

TIA

~bobsi18~

Hi there... Not really sure where to start looking for info, so thought I'd approach you guys first :) Feel free 2 give me advice on where to look for info.

We run a small shop with 5 employees. All purchases are mainly done in the shop, with a few web orders each day. Currently, all web orders are collected in an office on a computer that the staff do not have access to - I have to download the order, print it off, walk to the shop and hand it to the staff so that they can process it. I've just convinced management that the staff should be doing this, from within the shop. We have just purchased a shop computer (an Apple Mac G4, running OSX) that will be networked with our current computers.

Management is worried that the staff will use this computer for things other than web orders (e.g. personal email etc). So I am looking into ways to prohibit this. This is where I'm stuck, I have no previous experience with this.

Basically, we want to be able to run

a) an internet browser that can ONLY access www.mydomain.com (and the admin from within that)

b ) a mail application (to receive any email enquiries)

We'd also like the shop computer to be able to access the files off the other networked computers (with password protection).

I'm sort of thinking of a two-user system - 1 user is the 'shop', 1 user is me (who has access to the networked computers). So does anyone know how (or where to find info) to set up a system on mac os that will allow me to do this?

TIA

~bobsi18~

Hmmmmm :blush: Ignore me... Have just figured out (by trial and error) that Mac OSX has this all built in, and that you CAN set up a new user with limited access to certain programs etc and even limit what sites they can browse in the internet browser... awesome!!! off to play...

~bobsi18~

• 2 weeks later...

I'll look into this for you and see what I can find.

You might want to look around for some program to block access to certain websites like the sort of one a parent would use to prevent a child visiting an inappropriate site.

Another idea, which may seem a bit crazy, would be to find some sort of key logger so you could see what staff have been typing on the keyboard so in theory you'd see that someone visited Yahoo! Mail.

Also, VNC is a program that can allow you to control another computer linked on a network and you could possibly get that so you could watch the screen on the other computer and then catch someone 'in the act'.

Finally, if you really want to you could always install some sort of CCTV system (maybe even a micro X10 camera) to watch the computer screen.

Just a few ideas but as I said I'll look into your whole question and reply again later.

I am Tim? and Tim? is me!

Archived