The e-commerce.

RSS News

Jack_mcs

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks... but the url and feeds are ok.

Could be that on my provider is fopen not allowed?

If yes (I'm waiting for a reply), what can I use instead?

Bye

Alex

There is an fopen option. I didn't think of it because of the way your question was worded. I assumed you tried some other feed. If it fails on all feeds, then it is most likely the host setting.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

I'm having a few issues trying to get it to work PHP safe mode on. Specifically the set_time_limit(0); functionaility seems to be getting it to spit out the error XML error: Invalid document end at line 34 amongst others.

Has anyone got this working with PHP safe mode on?

On my previous server it worked flawlessly (with safe mode off) and was a most useful contrib.

Graeme.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm very new at this and have gone through all the steps of setting this contribution up. Can you please give me detailed step by step instructions on installing the included mysql file? I'm not sure where to find the "phpmyadmin" file.

Thank you.

Open phpmyadmin and insert and run this on the SQL tab. You should first check in the configuration_group table to be sure you don't have an id for an entry of 300. If you do, then change all of the 300's in this code.
DELETE from configuration_group WHERE configuration_group_title="RSS News";

INSERT INTO configuration_group VALUES (300, 'RSS News', 'RSS News - configuration options', 1, 1);

UPDATE configuration_group SET sort_order=last_insert_id() WHERE configuration_group_id=last_insert_id();

INSERT INTO configuration VALUES ('', 'Enable RSS News', 'SHOW_RSS_NEWS', 'false', 'Turn display on/off<br><br>true= on<br>false= off', 300, 44, NULL, '2004-08-14 00:25:08', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),')
, ('', 'Display Article Limit', 'MAX_ARTICLE', '5', 'Maximum number of articles to be displayed', 300,  45, now(), now(), NULL, NULL)
, ('', 'Display Characters Limit', 'MAX_CHARACTERS', '90', 'Maximum number of characters to be displayed', 300,  46, now(), now(), NULL, NULL)
, ('', 'RSS News Feed URL', 'RSS_FEED_URL', 'http://www.shoppingblog.com/rss.xml', 'Source of the news feeds', 300,  47, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);

Jack

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It will create a feed and an infobox to display them in. Whether it will create one like you showed I can't say since I have not tried it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the feed you are using may have changed. Have you tried another feed just to see if it is the feed or the code?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What is the feed? I will try it here.

Jack

How come only one is working? and ofcource the one I don't realy want....lol

http://www.indulgefashion.com.au/indulge_news.xml

http://www.fashionarticles.org/fashion/rss/Lingerie/136

http://www.reprint-content.com/rss/Lingerie/178

www.blushlingerie.co.uk/blog/?feed=rss2

only this one is working for me http://fashion-era.com/footer/rss.xml

why is that?

• 2 months later...

I get "could not open XML input" sparadocally, but more often than not on a valid feed. sometimes the feed shows okay, sometimes not. Maybe the timeout value will help me, i need advise please help.

It might be a problem with the feed. Have you tried other feeds? If so, do they time out? Can you provide a link to it?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

Hoping someone can help us out with an issue we are now having with this RSS News contribution. Our webhost went and changed a couple settings which are now messing with this RSS Feed. Prior to these changes, the RSS Feed worked great and displayed correctly in column left. With the new settings, we now get an error of "Could Not Open XML Input" when we try to access our homepage.

We have looked at the feed and all seems valid (http://www.insidepoolmag.com/option,com_rss/feed,RSS2.0/no_html,1.html). We even tried a feed from CNN, but still same error. We beleive the issue is related to some code in this contribution which no longer is working with the change in settings our host has made and intends to keep.

Here are the comments from our hosting company:

"In addition to disabling register_globals, we are also disabling allow_url_fopen global, which cannot be re-enabled unless done globally. You will need to find another solution that does not require allow_url_fopen to work."

Are there any code suggestions that can be changed to fix this problem? Not sure which setting may be causing this as this appears to be the only contribution in our shop affected by the server changes.

Edited by golfman2006

It is probably the fopen call in modules/rss_news.php. With the allow_url_fopen off, that won't work. The only way around it I can think of is to use curl to open it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, thanks for your reply. We are checking with our host to see if curl is installed on our server. If we find that curl is installed, will this contribution need to be re-coded or is there a minor code tweak we can do to use curl instead of fopen in the modules/rss_news.php?

We are just a mom and pop shop trying to get an understaning of the complexity of this fix and in the past, you have provided some great input to us through these forums that have helped greatly!

Edited by golfman2006

• 2 months later...

Jack, thank you for providing us with a great contribution. I have been using the RSS News v1.3 for a few months now but I am receiving the following error when the "More News" link is clicked:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare startelement() (previously declared in /nutritionmarketplace.com/includes/modules/rss_reader.php:46) in /nutritionmarketplace.com/includes/modules/rss_reader.php on line 46

I have looked everywhere for a fix and I can't find anything about this so can you tell me what is going on? I appreciate your time.

Thx.

Edited by dameko

If it has been working all along, then something was probably changed by some other code change. Maybe some contribution that was installed. That's the only reason I can think of that would cause that error in a working install.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If it has been working all along, then something was probably changed by some other code change. Maybe some contribution that was installed. That's the only reason I can think of that would cause that error in a working install.

Jack

The "More News" link never worked for me. I do have a lot of contributions I have added to the site and I am also using a temple I purchased from Algozone.com. Do you have an example of what that page is supposed to look like? Is it a list of all of the RSS News from the site that I inserted into the admin section?

Thanks,

Del