• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

RSS News

Jack_mcs

This is not a new contribution. For some reason, the announcement thread is present but not the support thread so I am just adding it now.

The contribution can be found here.

Some support questions have been answered in the announcement thread here.

Please not that when you install the database, the options are not set up correctly due to a change in mysql since this contribution was released. You need to go in to phpmyadmin and set the configucation id for the options in the configuration table. If you need help wih how to do that, post here and I will list the steps to take.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a new contribution. For some reason, the announcement thread is present but not the support thread so I am just adding it now.

Please not that when you install the database, the options are not set up correctly due to a change in mysql since this contribution was released. You need to go in to phpmyadmin and set the configucation id for the options in the configuration table. If you need help wih how to do that, post here and I will list the steps to take.

Jack

Hi Jack

What does this do?

OK, Thanks Jack. Now what I am looking for is a way to have the RSS feed on all the categories. It is on my main index, and for some reason on my Manufacturers, but not the Categories. I am sure it is a easy fix. Do you have any insite?

Laser labels, barcode labels, custom labels

It is a script which allows you place a box on your site with news feeds related to your product line.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

Will have a go at it when I get some other issues sorted.

OK, Thanks Jack. Now what I am looking for is a way to have the RSS feed on all the categories. It is on my main index, and for some reason on my Manufacturers, but not the Categories. I am sure it is a easy fix. Do you have any insite?
It should appear on all of the pages except the rss news reader. You could try changing this code in the column file
   if (SHOW_RSS_NEWS == 'true') 
if (basename($PHP_SELF) != 'rss_reader.php') 
  include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'rss_news.php');

to just

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'rss_news.php');

to see what happens.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

could you please list the steps as to how to configure the MySql please. It would be a great help! Thanks. Also is there any way to put this feed on the main page instead of in one of the columms?

Jack

Open phpmyadmin and insert and run this on the SQL tab. You should first check in the configuration_group table to be sure you don't have an id for an entry of 300. If you do, then change all of the 300's in this code.

DELETE from configuration_group WHERE configuration_group_title="RSS News";

INSERT INTO configuration_group VALUES (300, 'RSS News', 'RSS News - configuration options', 1, 1);

UPDATE configuration_group SET sort_order=last_insert_id() WHERE configuration_group_id=last_insert_id();

INSERT INTO configuration VALUES ('', 'Enable RSS News', 'SHOW_RSS_NEWS', 'false', 'Turn display on/off<br><br>true= on<br>false= off', 300, 44, NULL, '2004-08-14 00:25:08', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),')
, ('', 'Display Article Limit', 'MAX_ARTICLE', '5', 'Maximum number of articles to be displayed', 300,  45, now(), now(), NULL, NULL)
, ('', 'Display Characters Limit', 'MAX_CHARACTERS', '90', 'Maximum number of characters to be displayed', 300,  46, now(), now(), NULL, NULL)
, ('', 'RSS News Feed URL', 'RSS_FEED_URL', 'http://www.shoppingblog.com/rss.xml', 'Source of the news feeds', 300,  47, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

A new version has been uploaded. It contains the fixes mentioned in this thread and also adds the code needed to enable the RSS create option.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

hi Jack_mcs :)

l have a few "problems" with RSS News Creation

when i put this rss... is ok ...

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/MovieNews.xml

BUT with my rss .... it's wrong

http://www.#####.info/shopping/feeds/canon.xml

look below:

catalog_col_left.jpg

If i use this rss below .... its work perfectly :blink:

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/MovieNews.xml

:'(

PS sorry for my "english" :blush:

Well...

Now if i change my link:

amp.jpg

result:

erreur1.jpg

no link in the rss :blink:

and how to force break line ?

i saw in "rss_news_create.php" this line below:

<td><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('rss_item_desc', 'hard', 36, 5, tep_not_null($rss_item_desc) ? $rss_item_desc : ''); ?> </td>

thank for your times :)

There is a small bug in the file rss_reader.php.

In line 47 is a doblequote (") after align="middle" "

Put before align="middle" like this: .'" align="middle"

I have a question. My site use ISO8859-1 charset, and I syndicate rss from HP in spanish, and the acents are wrong. If I set my store to UTF-8 the rss run ok, but my store not. Any sugestion?

thanks

Thanks for mentioning the mistake.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you on the charset problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hey Jack - nice contrib. It installed flawessly. This may seem like a dumb question but it doesn't scroll at all. Alot of feeds do and I was wondering if I could get it to scroll on my left column. Righ now it is stationary.

That's a good idea but it is not in the code. The infobox code would need to be changed to allow that. I will add it to the list of things to change.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm currently running the previous version of this contribution and thinking of upgrading to the nice new one. The issue I have is that my hosting company very recently switched off the "allow_urk_fopen option" on the servers and so I get the following error when trying to display the RSS Feeds box on the site:

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/userx/publichtml/osc/includes/modules/rss_reader.php on line 112

Warning: fopen(http://www.domain.com/rss.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/userx/publichtml/osc/includes/modules/rss_reader.php on line 112

could not open XML input

Now it happens that the RSS feed I want (and have been) bringing in is not actually from another site, but from the same site/server with another domain name attached. So, is there anyway of modifying the code so that instead of bringing in the RSS feed from www.domain.com/rss.php I can just bring it in from /home/userx/publichtml/otherfolder/rss.php (i.e. bring it in from an absolute address on the server rather than from a URL)?

Any help in this very much appreciated!

e.

You would have to edit the code in rss_reader.php. It reads in the url from $rss_channel["LINK"]. So that would have to be parsed and reformatted to a relative link. I'm not sure it will work but it should.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I think the problem with a normal relative link is that while the OSC Store is physically on the same server, it's run off a different domain name, so I couldn't just use: ../../rss.php but something that allows absolute server paths such as: /home/userx/publichtml/rss.php

That kind of coding I'm not familiar with. I'm guessing I couldn't just put: /home/userx/publichtml/rss.php directly in place of $rss_channel["LINK"] - or could I?

Again, any help much appreciated.

e.

No, that wouldn't work. The $rss_channel["LINK"] is actually the link of the feed. It would be something like http://www.yahoo.com/feeds/all_bout_cows.xml. So you would have to parse it to get the feed name. However, that will only work if the feed is on your server, which it isn't. Since it is on another site, you have to be able to open the url, at least as far as I know. If you can copy the feed, you could create your own with the contributions admin tool. But that would not be updated like it is on the real site.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...