• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Second osCommerce Site

sumario

Hi,

This is my second go at using this shopping cart.

I have down by best to really get away from the stock look which i think i may have done.

Really, all i want is some input on the design i done and some of the funtionality of it. There is little information on the site as i have not yet got it from the client. Also no products have been added as well.

TradeMoor International

You notice that i have not changed the main page yet, this is due to the lack of images from the client but i will soon get them and have a layout like the main page from my 1st site : http://www.bedmakeruk.com

Also once i get the specif catgories from the client, i can begin to add them and have the text for the buttons on the rollover category images .

The company is a furniture wholesaler who sells to retailers in the south of UK. And the client has asked that the prices to be hidden from the general public. So i have added a contribution which removes the prices until logged in but full registrtion can only be done untill admin has approved their register form.

As they company delivery them selves they have only except COD and cheques at this point in time.

try and register to see if it works correclty and try to log in (even tho u cant)

I also would like someone to testing the shop to see if it works as it should do. You can use these login detals:

[email protected]

password is: testing

So add some stuff to the cart, complete the checkout, you wont get changed as you wont be entering any sensitive details and we wont deliver to use.

What i also did was due to the fact that i had rollover buttons where the account/cart/chekout links were, i added a view button in the shopping cart which took some time to do. and i also added a logoff button in the account.php page.

I think thats all i have to say and all that i remember what i have done lol.

Please, dont hold back. All critism, positive and negitive is nesscerary.

Thankyou.

P.S. sorry about the poor grammer, typed this in a rush.

Nice site, like the use of the rollover graphics, clean cut and easy to read whilst being pleasing to the eye and individual. Thats the good bit, now for the constructive bit...

Prices only show when loigged in; if you hadn't explained this before hand, as a consumer I would have just thought that your site was broken, with each product just showing Price: nothing, nada, just blank. Put a bit in here to say please register to see prices or something so I dont think my eyes are playing up or that the store is inept.

next, the prices only show when Im logged in. So, without adding an item to the basket (which I wouldnt do, because I dont know how much they are yet) and trying to checkout, then creating an account or logging in....if I dont follow this course of action, how the hell do I login or create an account? One of your nice little rollovers needs to be a login link, or better still get the login infobox for your left hand column so I can get in - it will also prompt me to create an account to see the prices, as you can use this infobox to explain that little bit of information to me.

Otherwise, cant really comment until you have some products and content on there. Nice layout though, just the price/login thing which got me!

if you read the 1st paragraph on the main page, it pretty much explains all about the prices and stuff. and you can register, but it gets approved by the admin once they competed the register process.

If you meant something else please explain :)

There needs to be an edit button on this forum so i dont keep bumping this forum when i change something.

The account button in the header goes to the login screen 1st, but i changed it to say login/my account.

I also made it so that when the customers is not logged in, this is displayed where all the prices are displayed, "Please login to view prices".

I will add more details to the login page now to tell the customers why they need to register.

There needs to be an edit button on this forum so i dont keep bumping this forum when i change something.

The account button in the header goes to the login screen 1st, but i changed it to say login/my account.

I also made it so that when the customers is not logged in, this is displayed where all the prices are displayed, "Please login to view prices".

I will add more details to the login page now to tell the customers why they need to register.

if you click here, you see what get to see ... ouch!http://www.trademoorinternational.co.uk/catalog/index.php?language=de

Did you see that post on what you def should not do when creating a new osC site? My tip was the one about languages ... my pet peeve, and you can see why.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

• 2 weeks later...
:-" lol ok i will delete the rest of the other languages.

For the top banner 'supplier of quality furniture through the uk'.

My opnions is too long, can you slightly make it short.

Don't let people read your main text.

Just let people see and understand it in 1/2 second because some people are lazy to read.

smithveg ;)

Hello World! ^.^ I'm a Internet naive. Browse my working profile

Malaysia Web Services - OPerion Website Marketing System

:-" lol ok i will delete the rest of the other languages.

looks like you don't really take me serious ... site still comes up with a huge German mess. Too bad - almost 2 weeks later, about 2 minutes of work.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

For the top banner 'supplier of quality furniture through the uk'.

My opnions is too long, can you slightly make it short.

Don't let people read your main text.

Just let people see and understand it in 1/2 second because some people are lazy to read.

smithveg ;)

what you mean it to long? it fits the background. otherwise the banner will be white.

looks like you don't really take me serious ... site still comes up with a huge German mess. Too bad - almost 2 weeks later, about 2 minutes of work.

Oh i do, but i havent had time to do it yet. im working on getting the information first for the 1st shop i done. you see it is the same client but they have 2 or 3 businesses.

what you mean it to long? it fits the background. otherwise the banner will be white.

I means make it slightly short.

Ex. furniture suplier - uk

When people see it in one seconds, people will know this is furniture suplier's sites.

They won't bother the word 'quality' and 'trhough the'

So, they can easily to remember your slogan.

They might think back your 'TITLE' when they want to find furniture.

smithveg

Hello World! ^.^ I'm a Internet naive. Browse my working profile

Malaysia Web Services - OPerion Website Marketing System

Ok, so basically you ask for feedback on the template. Hm, well, it's brown.

Top navigation makes some of the bottom navigation redundant.

Otherwise, the language issue is still there. For the main shop language, there is not really anything to look at. No products, no categories, can't see how it works as I can't select anything. Depending on the target customers, the create account before you can see prices could be a major point where the shop might loose potential customers.

So to cut it short: The links work. You should start adding some content before you ask for feedback, especially on functionality.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

You might want to consider making it so people can at least navigate the site with javascript turned off. That's just a huge peeve with me.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

I kinda like your site colours and design.

How much do you charge to create such site? :)

Thanks, charge oooo not really sure since this is my 1st/2nd online shopping site. The client im doing it for is a person i know in person so price we havent sorted out yet. what would you suggest i charge lol :D

You might want to consider making it so people can at least navigate the site with javascript turned off. That's just a huge peeve with me.

From experince, reading, and learning nearly every one uses javascript and java scripts is on by default. no idea why anyone would turn it off theses days.

how do you do then menu like that?

its a contribution which i forgotten the name of sorry :( try and search for it "rollovers" maybe. if i find it ill post it. You do mean the category menu? or my menu at the top?

There are 2 contributions for the dropdown menus:

Cool menu, is the contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...earch,cool+menu

And there is a very long thread in the forum under Contribution support, that you will find here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35036.

The second contribution is the Drop Down Categories - HV Menu, the link is:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...rch,john+guerra

My experience with the cool menu is that it's a bit complicated to install and it has quite a few bugs. You can find thousand of answers about it in the forum itself.

The second one I haven't try yet but I guess it's a bit easier.

I guess that both of them can be use for the menu at the top, but I haven't try to do it either yet.

I found another drop down menu contribution and it's unbelievably easy to install:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,dynamenu

In fact the thread is among the last postings in this forum category.

Sumario, your site looks really nice, clean and simple to navigate through. I like very much how the background looks. But I agree you would have to upload your products in there in order to be able to make further comments.

BTW, how did you get the lines in between the rows in the category box?

Hi Sumear,

I do not agree with the menu, I do not like how it covers up portions of the site. I would use the drop down menu suggested by Silvia. Also, I would get rid of the category pictures to the upper right when a category is clicked. A few other minor suggestions, I would create a logo, make the store fixed width and change the buttons such as "Add to Cart" and "Reviews" to something easier to read.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

Archived