• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

email encoder

100asa

Hmm, that's strange. I'm sure I created one. I found the announcement here but not the support thread. Well, in any case, to answer your question, the encoding is not automatic. You have toi change the code for the email you want to encode. Examples are given in the readme file. I have change the code to have it automatic but it has not been tested enough to release and that may not happen for some time so, for now, you have to change the lines as described in the instructiuons.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I've follow the instruction: I've added code to general.php; after I've added this code to this page (chisiamo.php) in italian language:

Per inoltrare il tuo reclamo 
<a href="'.tep_ascii_email(1, "[email protected]").'">click qui</a>
');

?>

but the page show this:

http://www.100asab2b.it/chisiamo.php?language=it

at the bottom of the page.

It's working correctly. Take a look at your source code for that part. I can't post it here since it will be displayed incorrectly but you can see that it is encoded. What is it that you expect to see?

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I think to have the same as the bottom of this page "Harald Ponce de Leon", so when I move the mouse over the link I can't see the mailto.

No, you want to have it visible to people. They like to know where they are emailing too. You don't want to have it in your code. That is where the email harvesters grab it from.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 7 months later...
Have you installed the contribution? If so, have you edited the code for the email on your contact us page?

Jack

Thank you for replay. Yes I did install the contribution. But on contact us page the text is coming from an include file. And the e-mail is part of the text in the include file. I opened the include file and I was trying to edit the code for the e-mail. But I don’t know how to do it there.So I don’t know what to do now. You can see it here. Please help.

Examples of how to encode it are given in the instructions. There is no way for me to guess as how it should be encoded since I have no idea how your code is written. You could try posting it here if you would like me to look at it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Examples of how to encode it are given in the instructions. There is no way for me to guess as how it should be encoded since I have no idea how your code is written. You could try posting it here if you would like me to look at it.

Jack

Ok so I will explain it this way. Please follow these steps: Open this page: catalog/includes/languages/english/contact_us.php There is a text. Add to this text e-mail so that it is protected from the harvesters.

So this is what I don’t know. Here I can’t put any code. I don’t now how.

You find where that text is added in your files (probably includes/languages/english/contact_us.php) and enter the email as described in the instructions of this contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You find where that text is added in your files (probably includes/languages/english/contact_us.php) and enter the email as described in the instructions of this contribution.

Jack

The text is on this page includes/languages/english/contact_us.php But here is not possible to enter the email as described in this contribution. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE. Well at least for me. Maybe for you it is possible. This is what the problem is.

Edited by medved

Please post your includes/languages/english/contact_us.php file and I will take a look at it.

Jack

Thank you for replay. Below is the code from includes/languages/english/contact_us.php Here i can´t put any code from the contribution.

<?php
/*
 $Id: contact_us.php,v 1.7 2002/11/19 01:48:08 dgw_ Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Contact Us');
define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Contact Us');
define('TEXT_INFORMATION', '

You can select from a number of ways to contact us, to get any information or assistance you might need.<br><br> 

<b>Customer Service</b><br>
ICQ# 220335695 <br>
Phone: 416 824 0960<br>
E-mail: [email protected]<br> 
Hours of Operation<br>
Monday to Friday 18:00 - 22:00 <br>
Saturdays 19:00 - 23:00 <br><br> 

<b>Have a problem with the site or your order?</b><br>
Visit our Comommon Questions section for more information on our site and our service, or email us at [email protected] <br><br> 

<TABLE>
<TR><TD width="190" class="main"><B>Corporate Office</B></TD><TD width="130" class="main"><B>Opening Hours</B></TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="main">JMimport.com</TD><TD class="main">Monday to friday : 8h30 to 17h00</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="main">2611-40 Homewood Ave.</TD><TD class="main">Week-end : close</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="main">Toronto, Ontario, Canada</TD><TD class="main"></TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="main">M4Y 2K2</TD><TD class="main"></TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="main"></TD><TD class="main"></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
<br> 	
<b>Contact Form</b> 
');
define('TEXT_SUCCESS', 'Your enquiry has been successfully sent to the Store Owner.');
define('EMAIL_SUBJECT', 'Enquiry from ' . STORE_NAME);

define('ENTRY_NAME', 'Full Name:');
define('ENTRY_EMAIL', 'E-Mail Address:');
define('ENTRY_ENQUIRY', 'Enquiry:');

// BOF Super Contact us enhancement 1.0
define('OPENING_HOURS', '<strong>OPENING HOURS :</strong><br><br>
<TABLE>
<TR><TD class="main">Monday to friday : 8h30 to 17h00</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="main">Week-end : close</TR>
</TABLE>
<BR><BR>
For your convenience, please use the form on the right to contact us with any comments or concerns.
<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Please allow up between 15 minutes to 48 hours for a reply.
');  

define('ENTRY_REASON', 'The reason of your email : ');  

define('SEND_TO_TEXT', 'Send Contact Form Email To:');
// define('SEND_TO_TYPE', 'radio');  //this will create a radio buttons for your contact list
define('SEND_TO_TYPE', '');	 //Change to this for a dropdown menu.

define('REASONS1', ' General Inquiry');
define('REASONS2', ' Product Request');
define('REASONS3', ' Registration problem');
define('REASONS4', ' Login problem');
define('REASONS5', ' Order and shipping');
define('REASONS6', ' Return merchandise');
// BOF Super Contact us enhancement 1.0
?>

Try changing this line

to this

E-mail: <a href="' . tep_ascii_email(1, "[email protected]") . '">[email protected]</a><br>

If you view the source of the page once you have uploaded this and search for E-mail:, you will see that it is encrypted.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Try changing this line

to this

E-mail: <a href="' . tep_ascii_email(1, "[email protected]") . '">[email protected]</a><br>

If you view the source of the page once you have uploaded this and search for E-mail:, you will see that it is encrypted.

Jack

thank you. This is how the code looks like around the e-mail

<b>Customer Service</b><br>
ICQ# 220335695 <br>
Phone: 416 824 0960<br>
Hours of Operation<br>
Monday to Friday 18:00 - 22:00 <br>
Saturdays 19:00 - 23:00 <br><br>

But i don’t think it is working. But this time at least i didn’t get any error messages. I am sure if you go to your contuct_us.php (includes/languages/english/contact_us.php )you will know right away why it is not working. The text with the email is part of the define function or whatever it is called. I don’t know.

And this is the bottom of catalog/includes/functions/general.php so you can see that it is added.

// EOF SPPC, hide products and categories from groups
////rmh referral
// Returns an array with sources
// TABLES: sources
 function tep_get_sources($sources_id = '') {
$sources_array = array();
if (tep_not_null($sources_id)) {
	$sources = tep_db_query("select sources_name from " . TABLE_SOURCES . " where sources_id = '" . (int)$sources_id . "'");
	$sources_values = tep_db_fetch_array($sources);
	$sources_array = array('sources_name' => $sources_values['sources_name']);
} else {
  $sources = tep_db_query("select sources_id, sources_name from " . TABLE_SOURCES . " order by sources_name");
  while ($sources_values = tep_db_fetch_array($sources)) {
	$sources_array[] = array('sources_id' => $sources_values['sources_id'],
							 'sources_name' => $sources_values['sources_name']);
  }
}

return $sources_array;
 }
////
// Encode email as ascii to prevent email harvesting
 function tep_ascii_email($add_mailto, $email) {
global $customer_id, $customer_first_name;

$encoded_email = (empty($add_mailto)) ? "" : "mailto:";

if (empty($email))
 $email = $encoded_email . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS;

for ($i=0; $i < strlen($email); $i++)  {
   $encoded_email .= ''.ord(substr($email,$i)).';';
  }

return $encoded_email;
 }
?>

It's working fine when I go to the page. If I click on the link, my email program opens up and if I view the souce, the address is encrypted. What makes you think it isn't working?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It's working fine when I go to the page. If I click on the link, my email program opens up and if I view the souce, the address is encrypted. What makes you think it isn't working?

Jack

The only way how can I see the source code from contact_us php is to save the page. I can’t use the view source in the browser. After I added the contribution it is not working. But from all other pages I can use the browsers view source link.

And this is the code from contact_us.php

<TR>
	  <TD class=main>You can select from a number of ways to contact us, 
		to get any information or assistance you might 
		need.<BR><BR><B>Customer Service</B><BR>ICQ# 220335695 <BR>Phone: 
		416 824 0960<BR>E-mail: <A 
		href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A><BR>Hours 
		of Operation<BR>Monday to Friday 18:00 - 22:00 <BR>Saturdays 19:00 - 
		23:00 <BR><BR><B>Have a problem with the site or your 
		order?</B><BR>Visit our Comommon Questions section for more 
		information on our site and our service, or email us at 
		[email protected] <BR><BR>
		<TABLE>

I don’t think this is the way it should look .

There is nothing in the contribution that would prevent your browser from working. Also, when I view your source, I see it as encrypted. So my guess is that you need to clear your browsers cache or try a different browser since it is working correctly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There is nothing in the contribution that would prevent your browser from working. Also, when I view your source, I see it as encrypted. So my guess is that you need to clear your browsers cache or try a different browser since it is working correctly.

Jack

Thank you for your help. I had to install Netscape. In Netscape it works. But not in explorer 6 I cleared cookies, browsers history, and temp. Internet files.

i also want to ask. An email that is not a link, but just a text like this [email protected] can not be taken by harvesters? They only use the mailto function to collect the mail?

IE is quirky like that. A reboot is sometimes needed to clear it. Eventually, it will start displaying it correctly though.

Harvesters can get the email from the page in a number of ways, even with this encrypting. But it is usually not worth their time to do so. An email address that is not a link probably falls under the description of too much trouble. Some people get around the possibility though by creating an image of the email address and then just displaying that versus the text, although I think that is too much work in this situation.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

IE is quirky like that. A reboot is sometimes needed to clear it. Eventually, it will start displaying it correctly though.

Harvesters can get the email from the page in a number of ways, even with this encrypting. But it is usually not worth their time to do so. An email address that is not a link probably falls under the description of too much trouble. Some people get around the possibility though by creating an image of the email address and then just displaying that versus the text, although I think that is too much work in this situation.

Jack

The problem is solved. It works now also in IE. After I restarted the computer.

Thank you very much for explaining how it works. I have more simple html sites with emails and I am getting too much spam from those emails. And I didn’t know how to protect from it. Thanks to your explanation and contribution now I know. Thank you very much. I do appreciate it.