• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

First website! Need feedback :)

brotherhewd

I have seen this template before... it makes a change from stock sites but you need to get a better colour contrast and as the images supplied with the template are gifs/jpegs you will have your work cut out.

The column left is too bare because the page length is long and the items seem out of place (I think)

On a positive note, you have made a good start so I hope it all goes well with your contributions.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I have seen this template before... it makes a change from stock sites but you need to get a better colour contrast and as the images supplied with the template are gifs/jpegs you will have your work cut out.

The column left is too bare because the page length is long and the items seem out of place (I think)

On a positive note, you have made a good start so I hope it all goes well with your contributions.

What do you mean you seen this template before? I made it entirely through macromedia fireworks.....so I do not believe your statement. Other than that, I am still working on it.

I guess the other store that I saw with the similar layout, similar header navigation, similar header background image with womans face to the right and similar oscmax type blue blind type background with a different logo wasn't from a template, my error in the case. Still, good luck.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I guess the other store that I saw with the similar layout, similar header navigation, similar header background image with womans face to the right and similar oscmax type blue blind type background with a different logo wasn't from a template, my error in the case. Still, good luck.

Perhaps you want me to upload screenshots of EVERY SINGLE LAYER I made with Macromedia Fireworks so that you can stop your senseless accusations? I don't even know what oscmax is. I am starting to get tired of your crap. All I did was make a template, and try to customize it for the past 2 days then someone comes along saying I stole it? Heh What's the point of asking feedbacks if people cant even recognize who the original author is. :huh:

Either you have vision problems or you are just another stupid one..

Perhaps you want me to upload screenshots of EVERY SINGLE LAYER I made with Macromedia Fireworks so that you can stop your senseless accusations? I don't even know what oscmax is. I am starting to get tired of your crap. All I did was make a template, and try to customize it for the past 2 days then someone comes along saying I stole it? Heh What's the point of asking feedbacks if people cant even recognize who the original author is. :huh:

Either you have vision problems or you are just another stupid one..

I guess you didnt read this

Please accept any criticism that is posted - there is no need to get upset if not-nice things are written about your site. Take this sort of criticism as very good advice as your potential customers will most probably not say anything about it, they will simply not come back to your store.

Anyways as others have said... it needs more of contrast to bring the attention... most buyers would not get excited enough to keep on looking... and I realy realy think you should use some HTML on your products description, it would make it easier for anyone to find any information nescessary ( people don't stop and read they glance over) if all they see is a bunch of letters... they won't see that small detail that might be hidden deep into the 10th line of continuous text... wich might be your selling point ... the more spread out and organized the better are your chances of being noticed :)

but over all keep up the good work!

I guess you didnt read this

Anyways as others have said... it needs more of contrast to bring the attention... most buyers would not get excited enough to keep on looking... and I realy realy think you should use some HTML on your products description, it would make it easier for anyone to find any information nescessary ( people don't stop and read they glance over) if all they see is a bunch of letters... they won't see that small detail that might be hidden deep into the 10th line of continuous text... wich might be your selling point ... the more spread out and organized the better are your chances of being noticed :)

but over all keep up the good work!

Thanks Jerfersor, I didn't even know you could use html in the product description... I'll give it a try!

Also, calling me a thief isn't criticism. It gets personal when someone says you stole a template especially when you spend 2 days making it.

nice work with the layout. My recommendation is to change the font on the left navigation and perhaps introduce block-like rows. See how the collapsible css menu is for instance is in the contributions section.

Also the buy now, add to cart buttons you could easily modify them with fw using some different styles.

The products listing which is left from the osc stock can also be changed

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,112

And you could add a frame around the product images using a css class.

nice work overall with the fw. But I am not sure with the sts you're using how easy is to maintain it and install other contributions at the top.

nice work with the layout. My recommendation is to change the font on the left navigation and perhaps introduce block-like rows. See how the collapsible css menu is for instance is in the contributions section.

Also the buy now, add to cart buttons you could easily modify them with fw using some different styles.

The products listing which is left from the osc stock can also be changed

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,112

And you could add a frame around the product images using a css class.

nice work overall with the fw. But I am not sure with the sts you're using how easy is to maintain it and install other contributions at the top.

I really appreciate your feedback Enigma, I am downloading the contributions you recommended and will have it posted on the website once It is done.

I am going to work on everything you suggested as those are outside views that I myself could not see. Thanks a lot.

I really appreciate your feedback Enigma, I am downloading the contributions you recommended and will have it posted on the website once It is done.

I am going to work on everything you suggested as those are outside views that I myself could not see. Thanks a lot.

Not working. I tried to isntall the contributions you gave me and it just messed up the site =( Any other alternative?

Interesting, just today I received an email from someone saying "

Fu and your damn template. You stole it from me, and I'm going to sue you. You are nothing but a scammer."

I wonder who that can be...... hmmmmmm.... i do have my little idea though *cough* chooch

Definately not me... I have over 800 post, not 8 posts like you - I don't play silly games.

The interesting thing is that you have removed your original template and added another completely different template?

I have no interest as to why you did that but if someone threatens to sue you and accuse you of stealing their template and you then stop using their template and upload another template, then via misinformation about me distract people away from the fact you have changed the template by withdrawing the original - does seems a touch suspicious

I have no interest in what is going on with your templates or your sites. It was your initial request for feedback that I responded to. You shouldn't seek feedback if you can't handle the constructive critisism and you shouldn't blame your own designing and programming short comings on me or others.

CHOOCH

Definately not me... I have over 800 post, not 8 posts like you - I don't play silly games.

The interesting thing is that you have removed your original template and added another completely different template?

I have no interest as to why you did that but if someone threatens to sue you and accuse you of stealing their template and you then stop using their template and upload another template, then via misinformation about me distract people away from the fact you have changed the template by withdrawing the original - does seems a touch suspicious

I have no interest in what is going on with your templates or your sites. It was your initial request for feedback that I responded to. You shouldn't seek feedback if you can't handle the constructive critisism and you shouldn't blame your own designing and programming short comings on me or others.

Yes I did start all over because I wasn't satisfied with the old template. I recreated a new one through macromedia fireworks which I think looks better. I am not blaming anyone, you are the one saying that I copied / downloaded someones' template and take credit for it. Should you need the promised screenshots of both templates I made (the old one that you say I stole and this one), go ahead and contact me so that I can send you everything you need to stop calling me a thief.

Here you go hotshot now get your anger from all the idleness in your life out on someone else.

Old template : http://www.dharmacorp.net/hotshot1.jpg

New template : http://www.dharmacorp.net/hotshot2.jpg

I don't have anything to prove to you so should you need anymore "proofs" then you should do some research and actually backup your arguments like I do. Oh, I almost forgot! Since you have 800 posts you are always right but noone else right? Hilarious.

I truly doubt this has anything to do with the ready templates. It has been through fw because you can see it from the html source

<!-- fwtable fwsrc="sts_template.png" fwbase="sts_template.gif" fwstyle="Dreamweaver" fwdocid = "1563999206" fwnested="0" -->

those popular ready templates also have other particular features like the spacers they're using along with the indents they emit in between the html code. They do not follow the osc format and they use typically ps to create them.

Anyways you could also use some rollover effect for the top categories and maybe once such a category is selected use the highlight part of the rollover.

I truly doubt this has anything to do with the ready templates. It has been through fw because you can see it from the html source

<!-- fwtable fwsrc="sts_template.png" fwbase="sts_template.gif" fwstyle="Dreamweaver" fwdocid = "1563999206" fwnested="0" -->

those popular ready templates also have other particular features like the spacers they're using along with the indents they emit in between the html code. They do not follow the osc format and they use typically ps to create them.

Anyways you could also use some rollover effect for the top categories and maybe once such a category is selected use the highlight part of the rollover.

Enigma, I tried installing the contributions you recommended last time without success. I think it has to do with STS because it gave me an error in header.php line 14 so i just rolled back a previous backup.

yes, I find it very hard with the template contributions to do standard modifications. Everything becomes custom with multiple files requiring changes even on simple add-ons.

In my opinion a template framework should be used to generate different complete sites and its output should be equivalent to the framework of an osc standard store. They should not be used to customize the store.

Enigma, I tried installing the contributions you recommended last time without success. I think it has to do with STS because it gave me an error in header.php line 14 so i just rolled back a previous backup.

Hey,

I think your site looks fine. I am not sure why some people are coming down on you. It doesn't matter what your design looks like. Somewhere someone in the big wide world probably has one similar. I mean we all start with the same script. We all have menus, products to display and a hundred other things in common on our sites. There is only so many places on the page you can put things. Ya know I could put things in all kinds of crazy places just to be different, but I doubt that the customer who is navigating the site will really appreciate it.

People expect shopping sites to be similar and framiliar. Cool flash designs are for template sites.

When I started out I used FW all of the time and found that it caused slow load times when you have a lot of images and it really isn't great for SEO. my suggetion is this:

-Use FW for small images to give your site it's own personality but not to design the whole layout.

-Try to use text instead of images with text on them whenever possible.

-Use CSS...Use CSS it isn't that hard in dreamweaver, you can see immediatly different colors, fonts etc...

-You can make almost any layout with tables in dreamweaver that you can make in Fireworks.

-Try out the Styles in the assets panel of FW they can be applied to fonts and shapes, and are a quick shortcut.

-You can easily change your button images from the stock ones at: http://oscommerce-buttons.org/

The generator will create all of the buttons you need for you.

I also recommend the http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...info+box+images

for info box header images.

Over all I rate fuctionality much higher than a great design. Another thing I like to do is find a really great button or banner on another site and try to create something similar and the design the rest of the site around it.

I have some really cute green glass like css images for the info boxes and the css style sheet to go with if you want?

Ok, i'll quit writing a book. Just ignore stupid people, they aren't worth the breath.

Stephanie :thumbsup:

Hello Stephanie, first of all I really appreciate your post and do not worry, I wasn't upset at all... I made the design myself and I have nothing to prove. Where is the freedom of expression? I am expressing myself through my designs and people say I copy it, All I have to say to that is ROFL and get a life. I showed screenshots from my PNG's through fireworks so that this little nerd (I won't say any names) would stop harassing me with this stuff. I honestly couldn't care less but as a newcomer to this forum, I wouldn't want to make a bad first impression as it is always the most important one. Anyways, to get back to the subject, I honestly have no clue how to do what you told me through dreamweaver. CSS is hmm well I haven't worked with it really. But Did you find my store slow to load at all? Cause I might simply cut the images and paste them in dreamweaver tables to make the same design.

Thanks

Dimitri

Buy with confidence!

Why would anyone do that when you do nothing to protect their data? Full SSL certs are so cheap there's no excuse for not using one.

and do not worry, I wasn't upset at all

In which case I'd hate to hear you ranting on and on when you are upset.

About the site itself - the look's quite good, but your right side images push out beyond the rest of the page width when viewed on my 19" screen.

Vger

Archived