• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sending HTML email

djmonkey1

Is there some deep dark secret of how to send an HTML email? I can write HTML fine, in fact the webpage version of the email I want to send looks great to my eyes, but I can't get it to work in an email to save my life.

I've tried sending the email from Yahoo, Squirrel Mail, and Outlook, in every format I can find a way to configure, and every single one comes across having the appearance of plain text (with all the code displayed). Considering how many HTML emails I get spammed with every day, I know it can be done.

???

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Do you mean sending the e-mails from within the osCommerce admin system/area or do you mean sending it from within a mail program / account?

May be a stupid question but I'm confused with your question..

I am Tim? and Tim? is me!

This doesn't have anything to do with osCommerce. I wanted to have this in General Chit-Chat but accidentally put it in General Support.

Anyway, I want to send out an HTML email using Outlook, but every message comes across looking like plain text with all the code displayed. I've tried formatting the message as Plain Text, Rich Text, and HTML, but always with the same result. I haven't found any other setting that looks like it would control the format of the message.

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

For outlook, look under the main menu->Tools->Options->Mail Format Tab and then under the Message Format change the setting to HTML

For outlook, look under the main menu->Tools->Options->Mail Format Tab and then under the Message Format change the setting to HTML

I've tried this. The message is received as plain text.

that's should be it for the email program do you receive emails with html format whatsoever?

All the time.

I've had some measure of success by converting the source html file to stationary and then using that stationary as the message body, but the layout gets all garbled.

Is there anything else different for the mail format. Have you tried the default options. Like the settings to be MIME and International Options for Western European(ISO)

The original file was generated by Microsoft Publisher and had been supplied to me by a co-worker. It relied heavily on inline CSS in order to format the page properly; unfortunately Outlook was stripping and/or ignoring all of this CSS code when the file was converted to stationary. I re-wrote the whole thing in a simple nested table layout, used the new file as stationary, and now it works like a charm.

The original file was generated by Microsoft Publisher and had been supplied to me by a co-worker. It relied heavily on inline CSS in order to format the page properly; unfortunately Outlook was stripping and/or ignoring all of this CSS code when the file was converted to stationary. I re-wrote the whole thing in a simple nested table layout, used the new file as stationary, and now it works like a charm.

I suppose that you have checked out this

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195468

• 4 weeks later...
I suppose that you have checked out this

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195468

Yes, and it wasn't much help. I found WorldCast to have a much better interface for writing HTML email than Outlook does.

• 1 month later...
Yes, and it wasn't much help. I found WorldCast to have a much better interface for writing HTML email than Outlook does.

I have sent html emails successfully with outlook.

What I did was start a new email. Forget the code - I viewed my html page with ie, I then highlight the entire page as you see it.

I then pasted this into a new email and voila. This method does sometimes break the formating a bit and probably won't copy a background image but I am happy with with the page I created.

Archived