• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Has Google Gone Crazy

I dont know about everyone else but.. What is google doing?

Is it just me or is Google creating far too many Beta Projects and not working on the core problem at the moment. The Search Engine ( Googlebot ) .

Googlebot hasnt been functioning correctly since december last year, and it lacks in adding sites and keeping sites up to date , ( This is even if you submit your XML through once again the BETA sitemap area ).

firsts it gmail , then its froogle then its another thing. I swear they have 2 much going on.. and little is happening with the most important thing . ( the thing that got them rich ).

Love to hear your thoughts.. maybe google might pick up there act..

thanks

greg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone is. Google have said that its our fault if our pages are dropping from the index as we must have bad links. I dont think thats true at all. I think Big Daddy doesnt work and there datacenters are full or something.

But nevertheless I wont be doing any links until it settles down and people figure out whats going on.

I'm having the same issue...

Over a 100 pages indexed last week on google and today I have only 3. MSN has over 300 of my pages indexed. Googlebot visits all my pages on a regular basis and I have sitemaps, but it's not doing much good. My ranking has gone from top 3 to like 40-50. I've made no changes other then adding product and content. My key words search in google now returns spam sites, ebay and old pages/sites on the first 3 pages.

draxion, what are you inbound links like?

I've gone from 100 to 340 pages and now back to a 100 in the past two weeks.

Inbound links are minimal... around 30 or so but from good related sites suchs forums, associations, suppliers, and other related stores (link exchange) and all over PR3. The site is new (6 months) and I work every day on trying to locate and add new inbound links.

None show up in google... some in msn and yahoo but not all.

I'm down from 320 last week to 2 today! I was starting to get somwhere last week and had had a few sales though the organic results. That not going to happen until my pages are back.

Man this is really depresing! :rolleyes:

I'm down to 1 page now in the index...

Oh well... not sure what to do... not sure there's anything we can do. I'm reading quite a few other forums where others are having the same problems.

I've been looking at whois data for sites that have lost there index and I have suspicion that how old your domain is may have something to do with it.

My domain was registered in Nov 2005.

When was yours registered draxion?

The same story with my site. Domain was registered in Nov 2005, the site was in "sandbox" for 5 months, then ~30 pages finally indexed by google, last week down to only main page is indexed. Over last couple weeks I only added products and got more inbound links ???

Domain was registered in September 2005. I had about 25 pages indexed within the first month. I got a page rank in about 3 months. I had over 100 pages indexed last month and now I'm down to one.

Google successfully crawled 65 of my pages over the past 24hours.

Not sure whats going on. I've lost about 30% of my traffic. Obviously, I have no traffic from google.

Here's some good info that I found on highrankings.com

http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.ph...pic=22570&st=15

and

http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22567

It looks like the bigdaddy update might have changes the way google looks at back-linking and reciprocal linking. Bad outbound links and possibly bad inbound links might be an issue and cause some problems.

Looks like quite a few other sites are having the same issue.

Caios: I've also been looking at other site and I was wondering about the age of the site and whether that had something to do with this. I have yet to find a site that's under a year old that has been completely indexed. So far, I've looked at about a dozen sites. Mostly my "new" competitors web sites. None are indexed. Sites that have been registered in 2004 and 2003 are indexed.

Ive been reading Matt Cutts blog looking for somthing useful but no luck really. I dont belive Ive done anything wrong the sites to new and I havnt done much link building?!?!?

uum, I wasnt sure if it was to do with being listed in DMOZ but some who are listed in DMOZ are having the same problem.

I reckon age isnt helping but I think theres a few causes which is making it hard to solve.

I have pages from my site with page rank that arnt showing in the index too. As they have only got pagerank in the last update then surley those pages whould be in the google index.

Ya, I can't figure this out.

I'm not listed in the DMOZ and I have a bunch of html and php pages with PR2 that are not listed in the index.

Google crawled another 16 pages about 1/2 ago.

I wonder if it's the age thing. Is anyone else with an older site having similar problems?

Do you have chemo ultimate SEO installed? One of big daddys earlyier problems was with hyphenated domains. Im not sure iif that includes all the url but it probably does.

ultimate seo urls look like this

www.mydomain.com/nice-we-site-product-13029.html

This is worth considering but Im not going to mess with it until im sure. Not sure if I will be able too.

Yep, I have ultimate SEO installed. But I have a bunch of information pages that are php and html pages without hyphens. They use to be in the index. Now they're also gone.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Same here with the info pages, etc

What sort of outbound links do you have?

Do you have lots of reciprocal links?

I have some but not many 4.

We may be able to work this out between us. Finger crossed X

Is anyone else with an older site having similar problems?

Good question, can anyone with an older site add anything to this?

It tell what else is weird I cant get google.com it just redirects me to google.co.uk Im in the UK but this doesnt ussually happen.

No Google hasn't gone crazy. They've just gone public ;)

After a company's IPO the focus tends to shift from "Do No Evil" to "Make The Shareholders Happy" pretty quickly.

All those other programs make the company (and in turn the shareholders) money. So they appear to have taken priority.

Jibber have you had a look on webmasterworld and other similar forums? Also look at Matt Cutts blog and googles sitemap teams anouncments. Even google admit theres a problem but they are playing it down claiming its a problem with the site: comand. Those who have lost page know that horse stuff.

Add me ot the list of sites that Google has departed from. I Went from 340 to 4 pages about 3-4 months ago. Now I am at 2 pages, the http and https versions of my homepage. Who knows how Google ended up indexing my https homepage but they did. I have written them 4 times and received no information as to why this is happening or how to fix it. I just get canned answers to check basic stuff. MSN has 790 pages for me indexed, Yahoo 236 though I have issues with them too. Only about 140 of these 236 are good links to my active pages the rest are old broken links to a previous HTML version of my site. Still 140 good and 96 broken is a whole lot better than Google's 2 of which 1 is no good.

There are so many people complaining of the same dilemma that it is plainly obvious that Google is simply broken.

mj_superfly doing a site: on the url in your profile shows a lot of pages but a lot of them are supplemental result cached way back like 8 Aug 2005. I dont think thats write either. Is your traffic normal?

Im sorry to hear others have problems although sometimes its nice to hear your not the only one.

What we need to do is try and work out why sites like mj_superfly aren?t hit as bad as our sites. If some of mj_superflys indexed pages are from way back 8 Aug 2005 then this adds weight to the age possibility. My site didn?t exist back then so google cant revert to an old set of indexed pages from then either.

What do you think? Im dont think hyphens in urls have anything to do with it anymore as Ive see plenty of indexed pages with hyphens now. Anyone seen any pages indexed this morning then dropped this afternoon? (reports of this on other forum)

Archived