• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The Help Vampire: A Spotter's Guide

Jan Zonjee

I found this an interesting article, both for those who ask questions and those who answer them.

Jan,

Interesting article. BTW, how do I configure osCommerce?

Thanks in advance,

ed

Nothing new...the oscommerce forum are full off em....but very nicly written...

It's good.

I just got pointed to this by a fellow member.

It'll get my vote when I'm sending off my BAFTA and Oscar nomination forms for best script!

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I WANT TO FIND THE Walled Garden communities which the Help Vampire can rarely penetrate.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

I WANT TO FIND THE Walled Garden communities which the Help Vampire can rarely penetrate.

So do I, trouble is many of the vampires don't realise their disease, and there seems to be a lot about.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

OMG Ok now I guess I'll just have to figure this sh*t out myself or at least infiltrate a walled garden or two. ;)

No just be proactive and try to find answers by searching, researching first.

I just wanted to say thanks to Jan (again) for this.

It has changed my outlook on offering free support.

I'm going to add this to my sig.

I just wanted to say thanks to Jan (again) for this.

It has changed my outlook on offering free support.

I'm going to add this to my sig.

Must admit, sometimes I've taken to glancing at the OP's old posts b4 replying, see if their vampire then ignore.

B)

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Is life being sucked out of you too!!

Is this the end of the free support as described in the article.

(As you can see I've added it in too!)

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I too have become a vampire victim. Some questions asked have obvious answers and have to shake my head. But, then I remember when I first started with OSC and I cave in and answer them. Is there a victim hot line we can call to seek help ? lol

Chris

Have you check www.google.co.uk for the answer to that?

(Just had some fun trying http://www.google.co.ca, had to use http://www.google.ca/)

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

Does this mean the garlic necklace, wooden stake, crucifix, rosary, and Holy water I keep close at hand are useless?

:unsure:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Certainly are, unless you are going to make a fire to boil up some soup.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Does this mean the garlic necklace, wooden stake, crucifix, rosary, and Holy water I keep close at hand are useless?

:unsure:

Fer gods sake germ .. you could at least turn up prepared :D

:lol:

But I AM prepared...

Accoding to Geoffrey, prepared for Vampire soup...

B)

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

No just be proactive and try to find answers by searching, researching first.

Part of searching for answers is coming here, yes? But then again I I quite understand what you guys are on about. The vampire syndrom is present not only in ecommerce, but just about every aspect of life. Become an expert in anything and you're the next Vamp target.

• 1 month later...
Part of searching for answers is coming here, yes? But then again I I quite understand what you guys are on about. The vampire syndrom is present not only in ecommerce, but just about every aspect of life. Become an expert in anything and you're the next Vamp target.

Once you have been bitten, you are extremely wary.

• 2 weeks later...
I too have become a vampire victim. Some questions asked have obvious answers and have to shake my head. But, then I remember when I first started with OSC and I cave in and answer them. Is there a victim hot line we can call to seek help ? lol

Chris

thanks for that, myself and the other extreme noob's appreciate the help.

I also prefer to pick the brains of those who are wiser than myself, because yall are the guys who are out there developing the modules that we all use. You've been there and done that and know what would be a very foolish decision.

In other words waiting for replies on forums makes for a quicker endeavor than blowing up my store multiple times.

asking for help and asking someone to DO stuff for you is very very different.. Shopping lists of things that NEED TO BE DONE ON YOUR SITE is a good way to annoy people... Trying it FIRST and blowing up your store, reverting back to a backup and THEN asking for help is the right way!

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Archived