• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Dynamenu" for osCommerce

Thank you very much FWR Media, turned out to be a loose nut at the keyboard though :blush:

I had thought that I had gone through the database for the products and categories that use the & symbol in their name, turns out I missed a few :-"

Once I actually finished changing ALL of the & symbols to & in the database - I had no more problems with Dynamenu's footer outputting & into the HTML instead of & :rolleyes:

I am down to only one issue now with validating the HTML (which it does validate, but has two warnings regarding short tags). The offending /> closing tag is in the output of a hidden osCsid in a form field. I have a post about it here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1236366

htmlspecialchars($this_is_what_im_outputting);

Edited by TracyS

~Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to NOT show the parent category? Running Multi-stores and just want to show sub cats of parent cat.

Thanks

Matt Mika

Installed Contributions: Multi-Stores, QTPro, CCGV(trad), Batch Print, EasyPopulate, Simple Manual Order Entry, Encrypting Credit Card Via Mcrypt, UPSXML, Down for Maintenance, On The Fly GD Thumbs, SPPC, SPPC Hide, and various personal tweaks

• 2 weeks later...

what files should i download for this contrib? it seems the last complete package is: "Dynamenu" for osCommerce v1.11 "Missing Images" update

is this true? then i download this file and all files from its date to now?

thanks

Hi, just passing by to say a HUUUUGEEEE THANK YOU for this contrib.

I've given it a slightly unusual use on my newly opened site (feedback thread: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302114 ) and it would have been impossible without this contrib. The site's pretty much based on it!

Thanks again and regards from Madrid!

hi love the contribution and although it was a pain in the ass getting the look I required it was mainly down to not reading the help on here properly. Golden rule - stick to changing the style sheet!

Anyway before i start, I just wanted to know if anyone had a cacheable version of this woking yet?

cheers

Si.

Edited by scranmer

Dynamenu is an add-in box which will display your categories as a DTHML horizontal drop-down or vertical fly-out menu, an expandable/collapsable tree menu, or even as plain vertical or horizontal menus. The main file includes easy to set options to set the type of menu you desire and the way it behaves. With Dynamenu, you can even opt not to display it in the usual "box" so that it can be seamlessly integrated with your store template for a truly custom look!

Dynamenu is powered by the excellent PHP Layers Menu library which has been extensively tested for cross-browser compatibility and is driven by a well-commented stylesheet to make it easy to modify. Most menus use Javascript but are rendered on-the-fly as HTML, so they fall back nicely for the poor souls without Javascript enabled.

Get Dynamenu for osCommerce in the contributions section here...

Sorry, can't post a link to a demo, but if you search Google for Dynamenu or PHP Layers Menu, it won't be hard to find...

Any feedback or questions are welcomed below, or just post your store link showing off your new menu!

Nate:

I have loaded your dynamic fly out menu and got it working ok on a standard oscomerse 2.2 site.

My problem is one of lack of knowledge as you can se even in this reply I think I missed a button somewhere..

I have installed STS4.5.8 and are not sure which template/files to move where to get your menue working once I enable STS.

It works fine with STS not enabled.

Any chance of a little help?

I beleave it may be where to find the new menu templates and put them in root/includes/sts_templates/full/

Edited by Auzy Jack

I must admit that I am stumped. I am trying to get the vertical flyout menu working.

I can not get the sub categories to display no matter what I do. I have updated STS to the latest version, been through the threads, looked at the 'helpful hints', applied the advice, etc and the sub menus simply won't display.

Previously, I had removed a number of queries from sts_user_code to reduce load time and I am wondering if some of those were needed to make this contribution work. I am pretty much grasping at straws now.

The direct url is web page with dynamenu installed if anyone care to take a look. I have the menu in the middle of the page for now. No sense making it look nice if I can't get it to work.

regards

I am building a site using STS and would like to use Dynamenu, as well. Can any of you tell me if there are any compatibility problems or point me to where I might research this?

much appreciated,

Jerry

I am building a site using STS and would like to use Dynamenu, as well. Can any of you tell me if there are any compatibility problems or point me to where I might research this?

much appreciated,

Jerry

The 2 work great together, I used this in the beginning of my project, but later on switch to a ul categories stucture usng another of Nate's contributions.

ul_categories_v1

The top menu of this site where made first with this contribution then later with the other.

For those of you trying to get Dynamenu and STS working - on Bill Kellum's signature on the STS board you will find a link to the STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack) contribution page. The direct link is: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4456

You want to download the Dynamenu and STSv4 contribution for full text instructions on how to install dynamenu on a site with STS.

You can also download the STS_MEGA_POWER_PACK contribution and use a file comparison program (such as Winmerge) to compare your files against the one's in that download. Keep in mind the mega power pack also has "Register Globals Fix" installed - so you will find differences between your files and the files in the download if you do not sue that fix (or if you are running rc2, or have other contributions installed, etc...). But with the text instructions and the ability to compare your files with the other you should be able to find where your code is having issues :blush:

I must admit that I am stumped. I am trying to get the vertical flyout menu working.

I can not get the sub categories to display no matter what I do. I have updated STS to the latest version, been through the threads, looked at the 'helpful hints', applied the advice, etc and the sub menus simply won't display.

Previously, I had removed a number of queries from sts_user_code to reduce load time and I am wondering if some of those were needed to make this contribution work. I am pretty much grasping at straws now.

The direct url is web page with dynamenu installed if anyone care to take a look. I have the menu in the middle of the page for now. No sense making it look nice if I can't get it to work.

regards

~Tracy

i am sorry but whats STS, i have dynamenu now but not aware of what sts is thanks

STS stands for the "Simple Template System" for osCommerce. You can download it using the STSv4.5.8 link in my signature below. This contribution allows you to easily design your osCommerce shop using HTML templates. The contribution is fully documented regarding how to use and installation text. There is also a dedicated STS addon site called STSv4 Power Pack. You can use the link in my signature below to access that page as well.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

For those of you trying to get Dynamenu and STS working - on Bill Kellum's signature on the STS board you will find a link to the STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack) contribution page. The direct link is: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4456

You want to download the Dynamenu and STSv4 contribution for full text instructions on how to install dynamenu on a site with STS.

You can also download the STS_MEGA_POWER_PACK contribution and use a file comparison program (such as Winmerge) to compare your files against the one's in that download. Keep in mind the mega power pack also has "Register Globals Fix" installed - so you will find differences between your files and the files in the download if you do not sue that fix (or if you are running rc2, or have other contributions installed, etc...). But with the text instructions and the ability to compare your files with the other you should be able to find where your code is having issues :blush:

tracy,

thanks for the response, perhaps I should have been more explicit in my earlier post about the current problem. When we originally installed Dynamenu, the flyouts did not work, so we searched through the various forums, for past experiences, etc. Based on what we found, we updated STS to 4.5.8, followed the tips in the Dynamenu & Sts v4 Powerpack pdf file, (which you reference) and basically have done everything according to the instructions. And the flyouts still do not work.

What I see in the source code on the isntalled page is:

<!-- beginning of menu footer - PHP Layers Menu 3.2.0-rc © 2001-2004 Marco Pratesi - http://www.marcopratesi.it/ -->

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">

<!--

loaded = 1;

// -->

</script>

<!-- end of menu footer - PHP Layers Menu 3.2.0-rc © 2001-2004 Marco Pratesi - http://www.marcopratesi.it/ -->

so it appears that was done properly, but the flyouts do not work. I have not looked in the Mega Pack that you reference, I can take a look at it now. But, it appears that everything has been done properly, hence the questions.

regards

STS stands for the "Simple Template System" for osCommerce. You can download it using the STSv4.5.8 link in my signature below. This contribution allows you to easily design your osCommerce shop using HTML templates. The contribution is fully documented regarding how to use and installation text. There is also a dedicated STS addon site called STSv4 Power Pack. You can use the link in my signature below to access that page as well.

Bill:

I downloaded "How to get Dynamenu to work with STSv4x.pdf" and followed the instructions, but cannot make Dynamenu work in my STS template. I am running STS 4.5.8 and Dynamenu v1.11. I created the variable $dmbox in sts_user_code.php but when I attempt to use it, the page will not parse..are there version incompatibilities here?

thanks for any advice,

JM

Well, I did a full code check of the Dynamenu code against what I had installed, no issues or mistakes. Everything had been installed properly.

I did take a look at the Mega Pack install and don't understand the advice to look at it. It seems to build upon a working version of Dynamenu to add additional functionality. So why would I use it to correct a Dynamenu install that is not working? Tracy, I don't understand the advice you gave on this contribution.

In any case, I am convinced that the Dynamenu contribution has been installed properly on the newest version of STS and the vertical flyouts still don't work. It does appear that there are compatibility issues with Dynamenu and STS that have not been addressed. When looking through the threads, the standard answer seems to be look at bkellums pdf and it will solve the problem. Since that pdf only really talks to adding a line to footer.php, that answer really does not meet the needs of people who have already done that step and are having problems. As I said, I believe that there are compatiblity issues that have not been addressed.

Well, I did a full code check of the Dynamenu code against what I had installed, no issues or mistakes. Everything had been installed properly.

I did take a look at the Mega Pack install and don't understand the advice to look at it. It seems to build upon a working version of Dynamenu to add additional functionality. So why would I use it to correct a Dynamenu install that is not working? Tracy, I don't understand the advice you gave on this contribution.

In any case, I am convinced that the Dynamenu contribution has been installed properly on the newest version of STS and the vertical flyouts still don't work. It does appear that there are compatibility issues with Dynamenu and STS that have not been addressed. When looking through the threads, the standard answer seems to be look at bkellums pdf and it will solve the problem. Since that pdf only really talks to adding a line to footer.php, that answer really does not meet the needs of people who have already done that step and are having problems. As I said, I believe that there are compatiblity issues that have not been addressed.

I had some troubles as well before, sometimes the flyouts would not work, I switch to the ul_categories_v1 contribution wich is smaller in file size and works well.

Edited by dimi78

To those having issues with the flyouts using STS:

I just installed osCommerce RC2a, added Dynamenu (Nate's May 27, 2006 version) and flyouts work perfectly.

I then added STSv4.5.8. The menu no longer appears because I have to do a few extra additions as follows:

1. Create the new dynamenu infobox tag (I did this in sts_column_left.php, just under the manufactures tag:
    // Get manufacturer box from db or cache  
     if ((USE_CACHE == 'true') && empty($SID)) {
    echo tep_cache_manufacturers_box();
     } else {
    include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'manufacturers.php');
     }
     $sts->restart_capture ('manufacturerbox', 'box');require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'dm_categories.php');
     $sts->restart_capture('dmbox', 'box'); // Get Dynamenu Category box

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'whats_new.php');
     $sts->restart_capture ('whatsnewbox', 'box'); // Get What's new box

2. I then have to add duplicate the footer.php mods in the application_bottom.php file as so (add the following lines at the very end of the file just before the last closing tag - it will look like this):
    	// Output the footer for Dynamenu for osCommerce
    echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter'];
    ?>

3. I then copy all of the stylesheet mods from dynamenu to my stylesheet.css file at the very end of the file.
  4. I then add the $dmbox tag to each of my templates where I want to display the dynamenu category box.
  5. STS is setup by default to look for the stylesheet.css file in the root directory. Change this in your template if you need it to point somewhere else.

Now the flyouts work perfectly using Dynamenu, osC RC2a and STSv4.5.8.

There are no incompatibilities with Dyanmenu and STSv4.5.8. If you do the above, then it shouls work perfectly for you.

Hope this helped clear things up for you,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

To those having issues with the flyouts using STS:

I just installed osCommerce RC2a, added Dynamenu (Nate's May 27, 2006 version) and flyouts work perfectly.

I then added STSv4.5.8. The menu no longer appears because I have to do a few extra additions as follows:

1. Create the new dynamenu infobox tag (I did this in sts_column_left.php, just under the manufactures tag:
    // Get manufacturer box from db or cache  
     if ((USE_CACHE == 'true') && empty($SID)) {
    echo tep_cache_manufacturers_box();
     } else {
    include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'manufacturers.php');
     }
     $sts->restart_capture ('manufacturerbox', 'box');require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'dm_categories.php');

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'whats_new.php');
     $sts->restart_capture ('whatsnewbox', 'box'); // Get What's new box

2. I then have to add duplicate the footer.php mods in the application_bottom.php file as so (add the following lines at the very end of the file just before the last closing tag - it will look like this):
    	// Output the footer for Dynamenu for osCommerce
    echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter'];
    ?>

3. I then copy all of the stylesheet mods from dynamenu to my stylesheet.css file at the very end of the file.
  4. I then add the $dmbox tag to each of my templates where I want to display the dynamenu category box.
  5. STS is setup by default to look for the stylesheet.css file in the root directory. Change this in your template if you need it to point somewhere else.

Now the flyouts work perfectly using Dynamenu, osC RC2a and STSv4.5.8.

There are no incompatibilities with Dyanmenu and STSv4.5.8. If you do the above, then it shouls work perfectly for you.

Hope this helped clear things up for you,

Just one addition to the above, I have a working demo of a default flyout menu using osC RC2a, Dynamenu and STSv4.5.8 at http://www.soundsgoodpro.com/dynamenu2

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I've got the menu working all fine as a vertical menu, however, how can I hide the empty categories??.

It's easy with categories.php but I don't have any idea about with dm_categories.php.

Thanks.

Jose,

I have been playing around with that and so far have done the following in dm_categories.php:

$result = tep_db_query('select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, c.parent_id from ' . TABLE_CATEGORIES . ' c, ' . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION

. ' cd where c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id="' . (int)$languages_id .'" '.$parent_query.'order by sort_order,

cd.categories_name');

while ($row = tep_db_fetch_array($result)) {

// if (tep_count_products_in_category($row['categories_id']) > 0) {

$table[$row['parent_id']][$row['categories_id']] = $row['categories_name'];

// }

}

$output .= tep_make_cat_dmbranch($rootcatid, $table, 0, $maxlevel);

return $output;

}

The 2 lines that I have bolded ( currently commented out) prevent the display of categories with 0 products. But, my page queries have went from 17 to over 650 with the commented code executing. So, I am continuing to experiment with the function which pulls the sub categories to see if there is anything there. I can't use something that increases the # of queries so dramatically.

Edited by cactustactical

The reason behind comparing the Mega Pack files against yours was to see if you missed one of the necessary steps to getting Dynamenu working with STS. Dynamenu is working with STS in the Mega Pack contribution, and was not working with STS in your store - therefore, comparing the two might allow you to more easily find what installation step you may have missed or mis-typed. I don't have a simple osC, STS and Dynamenu only store for you to compare with - so I found the next best thing. Typically, if flyouts aren't working, it has to do with application_bottom.php not having the code to output the menu footer.

~Tracy

I was able to get the vertical flyouts working using the additional code ( $sts->restart_capture('dmbox', 'box'); // Get Dynamenu Category box) added to sts_column_left.php provided by Bill. Never did work without that bit of code. Bill, thanks for the effort to find the needed code.

One other little oddity: in dm_catagories.php, the flyouts would not work if this parameter is set to false:

// Set to false to display the menu output only. Set to true to display in

// a regular box. The former is useful for better integrating the menu with your layout.

$show_dmcats_as_box = true;

The flyouts only work when set to true, that could drive somebody nuts, I stumbled across this solution by accident.

Edited by cactustactical

One other little oddity: in dm_catagories.php, the flyouts would not work if this parameter is set to false:

// Set to false to display the menu output only. Set to true to display in

// a regular box. The former is useful for better integrating the menu with your layout.

$show_dmcats_as_box = true;

The flyouts only work when set to true, that could drive somebody nuts, I stumbled across this solution by accident.

I forgot to ask about the above. Is this a "feature" or is there an issue with this? Since fylouts only work with the box code, there are borders to contend with when placing the menu on a page.

I forgot to ask about the above. Is this a "feature" or is there an issue with this? Since fylouts only work with the box code, there are borders to contend with when placing the menu on a page.

Bob, just a shot in the dark...

Try removing the "box" variable from the STS tag code that you entered in the sts_column_left.php file:

Change this:

To this:

$sts->restart_capture('dmbox'); // Get Dynamenu Category box

Now change the settings for your dynamenu menu and see if the flyouts work without the box setting to "true".

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions