• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Dynamenu" for osCommerce

Sean, another thing...

I noticed I do have the "echo" code from the DynaMenu contribution in my application_bottom.php and footer.php files as well.

When I set "Use template for infoboxes" to "true" in my STS admin area, the entire infobox goes away. When I turn it off, the fly-outs work again and the infobox shows up.

-Sean

Hello Everyone,

I've been developing an oscommerce site for a little while and have installed dynamenu. It does exactly what I want it to do although I do have one niggle which I can't seem to resolve.

I have 1 category that has sub categories (there will be many more when it's finished). When the parent category is highlighted the sub categories menu opens but when you cursor over the sub categories the parent category loses it's highlight.

I would love it if when you browse down sub categories, the parent category remains highlighted. If anyone has this working please could they tell me how.

Thanks very much,

James

Can anyone that has vertical fly-outs working post their apache/php versions here for me?

Thx

-Sean

PHP=4.3.11

Apache=1.3.34 (Unix)

MySQL=4.1.21-standard

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

For the life of me I cannot get the vertical fly-out menu to work with STS 4.3.3.

I followed everyone's instructions and have re-installed OSC + STS 4.3.3 10 times now with no luck. I've included the code " echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter']; " into the footer file and the application_bottom file and still nothing. I'll have to move on to another solution but if anyone can tell me how to make this work with 4.3.3 please reply to this thread. Thanks!

-Sean

I would love it if when you browse down sub categories, the parent category remains highlighted. If anyone has this working please could they tell me how.

Hi, that was addressed somewhat earlier in the thread - you can't do it with a purely CSS solution, you'd have to use a little JS/DOM magic, but I don't think a solution was posted... you might check the PHP Layers Menu forums over @ SourceForge.net to see if anyone has a solution...

For the life of me I cannot get the vertical fly-out menu to work with STS 4.3.3.

A link to your working store is always helpful... I do not know anything about STS but for DM, but if the CSS is included in your main OSC template... the menu "body" is output (including JS includes, scripting) and the menu "footer" is output (the hidden DIV, etc...) you should be good to go, provided there are no onLoad conflicts with any other JS on the page....

I'm not sure what the need is for another infobox is, but if you have to make one, it's likely something isn't getting carried over... are you sure submenus aren't working? maybe $show_full_tree DM config option was inadvertently set to false an only shows submenus when clicking on a cat with submenus. Again, without an example, it's hard for people to help you...

** Please do not PM with personal support requests (even if offering "payment"). Thank you.

A link to your working store is always helpful... I do not know anything about STS but for DM, but if the CSS is included in your main OSC template... the menu "body" is output (including JS includes, scripting) and the menu "footer" is output (the hidden DIV, etc...) you should be good to go, provided there are no onLoad conflicts with any other JS on the page....

I'm not sure what the need is for another infobox is, but if you have to make one, it's likely something isn't getting carried over... are you sure submenus aren't working? maybe $show_full_tree DM config option was inadvertently set to false an only shows submenus when clicking on a cat with submenus. Again, without an example, it's hard for people to help you...

Thanks for replying. I've installed a brand new instance of OSC+STS433+DynaMenu and followed all of Bill's instructions per his post here. Here's the details:

URL:

http://www2.pirateswag.com/store/

Server Info:

Server: Trustix Linux 2.2

Apache Ver: 1.3.37

PHP Ver: 4.4.4

Software Installed (in order - fresh install)

osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2 Update 060817

STS Ver: 4.3.3 Core Files, Dec 28 2006, by bkellum

DynaMenu Ver: 1.11, May 27 2006, by nate_02631

STS Config Info:

Use Templates? True

Code for debug output? debug

Files for normal template? sts_user_code.php

Template folder? full

Default template file? index.php.html

Use templates for infoboxes? true

Contents of includes/sts_templates/full:

index.php.html (default)

Contents of includes/sts_templates/full/boxes:

infobox.php.html (default colors)

infobox_categories.php.html (all orange)

I copied *all* the CSS to my stylesheet.css menu

I created a variable called "dmbox" in my includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php file

I called the dmbox# variable in my includes/sts_templates/full/index.php.html file

I added echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter']; to my includes/footer.php file, before the last ?>

I added echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter']; to my includes/application_bottom.php file, before the last ?>

As you can see, it doesn't even pick up the infobox_categories.php.html file in the boxes dir. And when I set use templates for infoboxes to false, the default template gets picked up and the flyouts start working again.

Any comments/help appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean

FYI - If you're looking at the site, please notice the "www2"

The regular site "www" points do a different server (until I get this site done) and a lot of times the first look at www2 will re-direct you to www and you'll have to type in www2 again...

Thanks,

-Sean

Edited by SeanLee

Thanks for replying. I've installed a brand new instance of OSC+STS433+DynaMenu and followed all of Bill's instructions per his post here. Here's the details:

URL:

http://www2.pirateswag.com/store/

Server Info:

Server: Trustix Linux 2.2

Apache Ver: 1.3.37

PHP Ver: 4.4.4

Software Installed (in order - fresh install)

osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2 Update 060817

STS Ver: 4.3.3 Core Files, Dec 28 2006, by bkellum

DynaMenu Ver: 1.11, May 27 2006, by nate_02631

STS Config Info:

Use Templates? True

Code for debug output? debug

Files for normal template? sts_user_code.php

Template folder? full

Default template file? index.php.html

Use templates for infoboxes? true

Contents of includes/sts_templates/full:

index.php.html (default)

Contents of includes/sts_templates/full/boxes:

infobox.php.html (default colors)

infobox_categories.php.html (all orange)

I copied *all* the CSS to my stylesheet.css menu

I created a variable called "dmbox" in my includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php file

I called the dmbox# variable in my includes/sts_templates/full/index.php.html file

I added echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter']; to my includes/footer.php file, before the last ?>

I added echo $GLOBALS['dmfooter']; to my includes/application_bottom.php file, before the last ?>

As you can see, it doesn't even pick up the infobox_categories.php.html file in the boxes dir. And when I set use templates for infoboxes to false, the default template gets picked up and the flyouts start working again.

Any comments/help appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Something just dawned on me here. Why are you using infobox_categories.php.html instead of using dm_categories.php ? The look of the DynaMenu is controlled through the CSS - you don't have to try to incorporate it into any other "infobox customization" type contribution. While that part of the new STS will be very helpful for your other infoboxes - you don't need it for the DynaMenu. Try just using the dm_categories.php that comes with the contrib. and then use your stylesheet to determine the look/feel of your menu. (remember to delete the styles for the menu styles you are not using so as not to cause confusion as one or two items at the end of each menu style are named the same thing) ;)

I didn't use the infobox customizer in STS or the one listed in my signature to control the look of my Dynamenu - maybe this is why you are having problems?

~Tracy

Hi Sean,

Something just dawned on me here. Why are you using infobox_categories.php.html instead of using dm_categories.php ? The look of the DynaMenu is controlled through the CSS - you don't have to try to incorporate it into any other "infobox customization" type contribution. While that part of the new STS will be very helpful for your other infoboxes - you don't need it for the DynaMenu. Try just using the dm_categories.php that comes with the contrib. and then use your stylesheet to determine the look/feel of your menu. (remember to delete the styles for the menu styles you are not using so as not to cause confusion as one or two items at the end of each menu style are named the same thing) ;)

I didn't use the infobox customizer in STS or the one listed in my signature to control the look of my Dynamenu - maybe this is why you are having problems?

I'm using the infobox_categories.php.html file because the categories infobox needs to have a different look/feel than the rest of the infoboxes.

I don't think I understand what you are saying about the dm_categories.php file... that file is located in the includes/boxes dir. How do I use it for *just* the categories infobox so I can have a different bgimage with categories?

In other words, how can I customize it?

Thanks,

-Sean

Edited by SeanLee

I'm using the infobox_categories.php.html file because the categories infobox needs to have a different look/feel than the rest of the infoboxes.

I don't think I understand what you are saying about the dm_categories.php file... that file is located in the includes/boxes dir. How do I use it for *just* the categories infobox so I can have a different bgimage with categories?

In other words, how can I customize it?

Thanks,

-Sean

You customize the dynamenu by using the CSS that you copied and pasted into your stylesheet. If you are using, for example, the vertical menu - then you would remove the other menu types (like horizontal - etc...) from that bit of CSS in your stylesheet. Then you edit that CSS code to your hearts content for the vertical menu. You can add background images - change mouseover colors - etc... all through that CSS code in your stylesheet :thumbsup:

I am not running the latest version of STS so I'm not sure how to set it up so that you don't use the infobox_categories.php.html file - ask Bill if you're not sure on that one.

~Tracy

You customize the dynamenu by using the CSS that you copied and pasted into your stylesheet. If you are using, for example, the vertical menu - then you would remove the other menu types (like horizontal - etc...) from that bit of CSS in your stylesheet. Then you edit that CSS code to your hearts content for the vertical menu. You can add background images - change mouseover colors - etc... all through that CSS code in your stylesheet :thumbsup:

I am not running the latest version of STS so I'm not sure how to set it up so that you don't use the infobox_categories.php.html file - ask Bill if you're not sure on that one.

I know I can customize the dynamenu by changing things in the css and dm_categories.php file, but the actual categories box that the dynamenu appears in needs to have special margins/colors/bgimage, and I don't want that to display in every other infobox I have (information, search, new_items etc). Know what I mean? Normally in STS 433, you can just create a infobox_whatever_php.html file where "whatever=categories" or "whatever=information" and it will automagically pick up that file and use it as the template for that specific infobox only.

-Sean

Well, I can at least tell you "what" you're missing... as to the why, I'm not sure....

While you're outputting the menu items in the block, for some reason you're not outputting the Javascript includes nor the included Javascript which includes the menu/submenu id sets.... (should appear just above the output of the "root" menu items)

I don't know if the original dm_categories works for you, but if it does you should be able to do everything you need to do with that... You can opt to not show the menu in a "box" and then use the DM config vars to insert the HTML that you want to "wrap" the menu in...

** Please do not PM with personal support requests (even if offering "payment"). Thank you.

Well, I can at least tell you "what" you're missing... as to the why, I'm not sure....

While you're outputting the menu items in the block, for some reason you're not outputting the Javascript includes nor the included Javascript which includes the menu/submenu id sets.... (should appear just above the output of the "root" menu items)

I don't know if the original dm_categories works for you, but if it does you should be able to do everything you need to do with that... You can opt to not show the menu in a "box" and then use the DM config vars to insert the HTML that you want to "wrap" the menu in...

OK I can try that I think... is there an example of this anywhere?

-Sean

I know I can customize the dynamenu by changing things in the css and dm_categories.php file, but the actual categories box that the dynamenu appears in needs to have special margins/colors/bgimage, and I don't want that to display in every other infobox I have (information, search, new_items etc). Know what I mean? Normally in STS 433, you can just create a infobox_whatever_php.html file where "whatever=categories" or "whatever=information" and it will automagically pick up that file and use it as the template for that specific infobox only.

-Sean

You can set margins, colors and bgimage through the stylesheet. For example - this bit of CSS controls the main Div that everything is inside of:

.verbar	{   /* Color of main vertical menubar and border */
color: #410000;
background-color: #BDBCFB;
border: 1px outset #0501B5;
}

So you could add a margin or padding or background image - etc... in there using:

background-image: url(images/bgimage.gif);
padding: 5px; /* use this format if top, right, bottom and left are all the same */
margin-top: 5px; /* use this format if top, right, bottom and left are different */
margin-right: 2px;
margin-bottom: 10px;
margin-left: 1px;

Padding affects inside of the layer and Margin affects outside the layer (how far away from a neighboring item).

The font colors are set with the color: tag and the background colors are set with the background-color: tag. You will find your mouse-over colors in .vertitem a:hover and .vertsubitem a:hover (remember the vertsubitem tags all control the look of the flyout menus).

You can even choose whether or not you want to repeat the background image and alignment of the image using:

background-repeat: no-repeat; /* this means the background image will not repeat itself even if the layer is larger than the image */
background-position: center top; /* this means the image will be aligned horizontally to center and vertically to top */

Let me know if this information isn't what you were looking for :blush:

~Tracy

I guess I don't understand the concept of not using an infobox for this... I mean, when I call the dmbox variable, it's going to paste the box in there that it finds an html template for, right?

It will call the html for the categories infobox table from the includes/classes/boxes.php file - yes. But I found that, unless you are really good with PHP and JavaScript, trying to get the dynamenu to cooperate with changing where it gets its information from can be tricky. I'm not sure why it doesn't want to work with the infobox_categories.php.html, but if you can do everything you need to through the stylesheet then I would just go that route for this particular box. Just thought it might be easier and less time consuming than trying to get it to work with infobox_categories.php.html ;)

~Tracy

OK I can try that I think... is there an example of this anywhere?

No "example" needed - that's pretty much it...

I guess I don't understand the concept of not using an infobox for this... I mean, when I call the dmbox variable, it's going to paste the box in there that it finds an html template for, right?

I don't know how STS works, but DM has an option to *not* show in a box.. (read DM config options for more info) dunno if STS honors that or not... If so, then you can use the other config vars to wrap your menu as desired...

No "example" needed - that's pretty much it...

I don't know how STS works, but DM has an option to *not* show in a box.. (read DM config options for more info) dunno if STS honors that or not... If so, then you can use the other config vars to wrap your menu as desired...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will try this out, and report back here later with my results.

Thanks again,

-Sean

Random question:

For vertical fly-outs, does anyone know how to change the width of the hover link, and possibly move the sub menus over to the left a little more?

Did you get the flyouts working now? If so, what did you do?

as for the width of the hover link - you can set a width - for example:

width: 9em;

Remember that if you have a padding set for the left, then the hover color may not start until after the padding ends since the padding is inside of the box ;)

As for moving the submenu a little more to the left, double check to see if you have a margin set for the right side of the main menu as this would cause the submenu to popup wherever that margin ends since margins affect the space outside of the box.

Hope that helps :blush:

~Tracy