• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

'Try Searching For' Contribution

I've noticed a lot of stores lately with a "Try Searching For" link on the product info pages, followed by the product name broken down into search strings. This should multiple the number of pages your store has by a fairly large amount.

Easy to install, it should only take a few minutes.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4218

Edited by assembler

i don't understand the aim , people are on the product , when they click search , where the result are search for ? could you give me some details , im blind

MS2

i don't understand the aim , people are on the product , when they click search , where the result are search for ? could you give me some details , im blind

I've installed it and like it.

Basically - it takes the significant words from the product name and displays them below the products as hyperlinks to a search individually

This is a simple way of allowing the customer to use one of the words of the product name to search for similar products.

Tom

I've installed it and like it.

Basically - it takes the significant words from the product name and displays them below the products as hyperlinks to a search individually

This is a simple way of allowing the customer to use one of the words of the product name to search for similar products.

Tom

It should also help to send search engines to search result pages (which they normally can't get to). They should see each search results page as a different page, immediately multiplying the number of search engine indexed pages by a large amount.

Hi, I just installed and I use sts so it did not show at first, but I put the code in includes/sts_product_info.php and then it showed.

But I have one problem. The link is showing over my header instead of on the page. Here is a link to my site:

http://www.kjolebutikken.com/oscdemo1/prod...?products_id=30

How do I move it to the page?

Kjolebutikken

Best regards

Kjolebutikken

VERY nice contribution, thanks!

Automate Production Equipment Corp.

TJ,

You may want to change the egrep line of the contribution, if a lot of your product names contain dashes. This line of code makes the word lowercase, and removes anything that is not a letter or number. You may wany to include - as well, so it is not removed. By doing this, you will avoid linking to blank search results pages (like your example page does).

Hi, I just installed and I use sts so it did not show at first, but I put the code in includes/sts_product_info.php and then it showed.

But I have one problem. The link is showing over my header instead of on the page. Here is a link to my site:

http://www.kjolebutikken.com/oscdemo1/prod...?products_id=30

How do I move it to the page?

Kjolebutikken

I'm sorry, but I am not familar with any of the template contributions.

TJ,

You may want to change the egrep line of the contribution, if a lot of your product names contain dashes. This line of code makes the word lowercase, and removes anything that is not a letter or number. You may wany to include - as well, so it is not removed. By doing this, you will avoid linking to blank search results pages (like your example page does).

Perfect, thanks. Worked like a charm. // :0)

My Webpage

<?php 
 $search_string_array = explode(" ",$product_info['products_name']);
 foreach($search_string_array AS $search_entry) {
if(strlen($search_entry) > 3) {
  //   $search_entry = ereg_replace("[^a-z0-9]", "", strtolower($search_entry));
  $search_string .= '<a href="'.tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT,'keywords='.$search_entry).'">'.$search_entry.'</a> →  ';
}
 }
 echo 'Quick Searches: '.$search_string;
?>

I'm sorry, but I am not familar with any of the template contributions.

Hi, I figured it out. It had nothing to do with sts. I deleted the code from my includes/sts-product_info.php file and put it back in the product_info.php file. I just had to move the code to another location than described in the installation instructions. I think this is because I have commented out with // the code which is about the also purchased products as I don't use this, but it seems that if I put any code below this, it will not show.

So now I got it working and I like it very much.

Kjolebutikken

Best regards

Kjolebutikken

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this, a great idea for SEO. I would wait though until your sites already been quite well indexed as google are suspicious of sites that suddenly appear and have millions of pages. (info from an interview with Matt Cutts which is on youtube)

This is a great addition to advanced search results too:

<title><?php echo ucwords($keywords) . ' - '.TITLE;?></title>

Header Tags contribution should include the above. Sweeeeet!

Thanks

Edited by Caios