• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

1st OSCommerce Store, feedback please?

Hello everyone, first of all I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to the OSC forum. I've learned alot in a short time to help with my store. As you'll see I still have work to do, but wanted to get some feedback from other OSC users to help decide in which directions to go.

1st you will see I really need Logo help.. :D I haven't figured out how I need to tweak images to appear correctly in the header, and I need advice on where to learn about making headers and banners.

2nd, I know I need to edit the counter out of the footer and I want to add address, phone and operation hours centered in the footer.

3rd, I need to update the Contact Us page with phone number and address. I believe I saw a contrib. to enhance the Contact page which I will be installing soon.

Contribs I've installed so far:

1. Ultimate SEO URL's. I'd like to get feedback on them to make sure everything is right as it appears to me to be.

2. Imagestretch fix contrib.

3. Privacy_Conditions contrib. Whew, that helped I was dreading those. I did run into formatting problems when editing my Shipping Policy page. Can someone point me to a good tutorial on PHP formatting?

Need to install Header Tags, More Images, RSS Feed and a couple of others.

I'm lost as far as database editing and PHPAdmin and need advice on where to learn more about using PHPAdmin.

Here's the site, advice appreciated.

My Homepage

Thanks for your time,

Jason

Your header image is out of place and your site looks stock - try using a template?

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I have used photoshop and illustrator but if you aren't clued up on it, how about somehting like a logo creator? You may be able download one with a free 30 day trial... try a search engine query.

Also, try using a template because so many people have osCommerce stores and they are too easily identifiable because of the usual column left, column right, footer and header.... most of those have logos in them and all you have to do edit or add your own text on the image.

Good Luck

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I'm lost as far as database editing and PHPAdmin and need advice on where to learn more about using PHPAdmin.

Me too I'm newbie with phpadmin and databases and I use phpadmin to install some contributions and nothing more... Only press SQL button and paste the text in that field. I'm very careful not to touch something else, and till now never had problems. The most important thing is to back up everytime before.

Your site is very nice.

What I don't like is that "secured by geotrust" (better move it to footer) and the buttons (with photoshop or fireworks it's not so hard to build your onw button template).

For contact us I recommend you Super Contact us enhancement, very easy to install.

About your problems editing pages like Shipping Policy, I'm sure that's because you used ' and not \' ("I'll do that", should be "I\'ll do that" in your language file).

Me too I'm newbie with phpadmin and databases and I use phpadmin to install some contributions and nothing more... Only press SQL button and paste the text in that field. I'm very careful not to touch something else, and till now never had problems. The most important thing is to back up everytime before.

Your site is very nice.

What I don't like is that "secured by geotrust" (better move it to footer) and the buttons (with photoshop or fireworks it's not so hard to build your onw button template).

For contact us I recommend you Super Contact us enhancement, very easy to install.

About your problems editing pages like Shipping Policy, I'm sure that's because you used ' and not \' ("I'll do that", should be "I\'ll do that" in your language file).

Thanks Invasion, yes I finally figured out that was what was causing me problems with the php text editing..lol. After many attempts and edits....but hey it was a learning experience.

I wanted to put the SSL cert at the top so that nobody would have any question it was a secure site for ordering, to put their mind at ease. I may go ahead and move it down lower once I have some other editing done however.

My biggest problem I'm currently working on is an RSS feed, I've downloaded the contribution and installed it. Everything works fine except I don't have any options to edit in the Admin area. I've tried it on my production and test site and still no joy...other than that I need to do some template work and custom buttons are a great idea. Thanks :)

Jason

Archived