• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Unusual shipping requirements

matbennett

A customer of mine has a pretty complicated shipping requirement, that I cannot see a easy way to implement. I wondered whether anyone had any ideas as to what the best approach would be to doing this:

Here are the requirements:

1. Several regions, each with their own weight based shipping (as per table rates).

2. Low order charges for any orders under a prescribed value.

The above is straight forward enough, and is how it is currently set up. However, they require the following additional rules to apply only to customers in the UK:

3. Have 2 subsets of products that are instead charged on a per item basis (say, 1.99 per item for subset A, and 9.99 per item for subset B.

4. Low order fees will not apply to items in these subsets.

Have been playing with a couple of approaches to this, but can't really see the best way forward. Anyone got any ideas?

• 12 years later...

You need to change the modules to look through the product and do something different based on what's found.  What you do depends on what is needed for mixed carts. But the simplest would be to change the existing amount. For example, lets say you have a product from the main group and the charge is $1. Then the customer adds a product from subset A so that now the total charge is $2.99. If you do nothing, the total would be $2 (basic $1 each).

So in the execute section of the module, you would cycle through the products in the order, or cart, and see if any products are in subset A. If any are found, increase the total of the quote by $0.99 for each product found.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No harm done with responding to a 13 year old post, if the problem and solution given might still be relevant to someone. Since the thread would have been so deeply buried, I would assume that Jack would be aware of its age. Likely the OP is long gone, but in case there are others in this boat...

As long as we're having a pleasant chat about unusual shipping requirements, is there anything built-in to restrict certain products to certain geographic zones (such as countries)? For example, physically shipping goods only within the USA, but digital downloads anywhere not embargoed? I'm sure I could code up something, but if someone has already done the work... the key is to alert the customer well in advance before they load up their cart with a mixture of physical and virtual goods and then try to check out.

1 hour ago, MrPhil said:

No harm done with responding to a 13 year old post, if the problem and solution given might still be relevant to someone.

I agree. I believe this is the add-on which should do big part of what was requested or be at least a good starting point for further modifications:

Separate Shipping Per Product v2.5[SSPP]

And it seems to be up to date.

Edited by raiwa

3 hours ago, raiwa said:

the post is from 2006!

Strange. I only use the unread menu item so I only see new posts.  I must have somehow clicked something else in order to see this but I don't know what that might have been. But thanks for letting me know.  :)

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons