• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

RSS Reader 2.0 and RSS News 1.2 contributions

albert

Hello,

I've installed the RSS Reader 2.0 contribution but the German Umlauts are not displayed correctly. Is there one who has a solution for this? Or does anyone use RSS News 1.2 and gets the Umlauts displayed correctly? Or is there a contribution which displays them correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Albert

I found out that RSS Reader 2.0 uses the function html_entity_decode to get the text of the rss feeds. This function does NOT support the character set UTF-8 when you use PHP < 5. So in my case I get my rss feed from a site which uses UTF-8 and I have PHP 4.3.10.

So do you agree with me that this is the reason that this rss feed does not display German Umlauts correctly? I ask therefore because I'm only a beginner with all this PHP stuff. And if I'm right what would you suggest I should do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Albert

• 5 months later...

i think you are showing your page using an ISO-8859 Character set in your browser. if you change to UTF8 everything should work fine for the feed, cause the feed is encoded with UTF8. but now the rest of your page like ?,? or ? will be displayed wrong.

so actually the rss feed must be converted from UTF8 to ISO-8859 character set...

perhaps these parsers work:

http://lastrss.webdot.cz/

a comparisom between lastrss and magpie

http://frenchfragfactory.net/ozh/archives/...hp-rss-parsers/