• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN - Order Status NOT updating all of a sudden

OSTastic

Hi,

I've been using PayPal IPN v1.1.2.10 successfully for just over a year now, when during the afternoon of Friday 17th February 2006 my orders that were successfully paid for using PayPal, their status wasn't changing from "Pending Payment" to "Processing". Since this day my order status has failed to update after successfull PayPal payment.

I have now since been manually checking my orders in oscommerce to PayPal, matching them up and changing the order status myself. As you know this has become time consuming.

Now I have got round to tackling this problem, I have removed PayPal IPN and installed a later version PayPal IPN v1.1.2.11. This unfortunately during paypal sandbox testing this version behaves exactly the same.

Have you any idea why this might have started happening on 17/02/2006, did PayPal change anything? What might cause this not to happen?

I had not been changing any code or interferring with the administration functions prior to this fault.

Thank you,

James

Hi,

I've been using PayPal IPN v1.1.2.10 successfully for just over a year now, when during the afternoon of Friday 17th February 2006 my orders that were successfully paid for using PayPal, their status wasn't changing from "Pending Payment" to "Processing". Since this day my order status has failed to update after successfull PayPal payment.

I have now since been manually checking my orders in oscommerce to PayPal, matching them up and changing the order status myself. As you know this has become time consuming.

Now I have got round to tackling this problem, I have removed PayPal IPN and installed a later version PayPal IPN v1.1.2.11. This unfortunately during paypal sandbox testing this version behaves exactly the same.

Have you any idea why this might have started happening on 17/02/2006, did PayPal change anything? What might cause this not to happen?

I had not been changing any code or interferring with the administration functions prior to this fault.

Thank you,

James

Appears that IPN that you receive is not able to move into the code that will execute the update query.

Please check how the IPN is behaving and what all is getting posted ( If any thing ) on the IPN file where the paypal is supposed to post the payment notification.

Satish Mantri

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Thank you,

James

Any luck??? I have the same problem!!!

Any luck??? I have the same problem!!!

Dear James,

Check what version of php is running on your server, as I had problems getting the Paypal IPN to work with php v4.4.2, but no problems with v4.3.11, this could be your problem.

George

Funny. My IPN stopped working too. I know it's not my system, or my modules, or my ISP (I own my own ISP, I am the ISP), nothing has changed on my system in 6 months, and up until this last week, everything was fine. Methinks Paypal did something. (Again. This has happened before.)

I have addresses not being passed over now ? , was all fine untill recently.

The payment goes through , but the address field in the paypal notification e-mail and the transaction details at paypal are blank ?

I have the address in the customers sign up details in the database.

??

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this - i use the paypal ipn module and orders are not getting updated to processing. (i'm making my own test orders). I get the paypal payment email, and money does change hands - but i dont get the oscommerce order confirmation email and admin isnt updated.

This is worrying :'(

• 3 weeks later...

explanation on how IPN works:

when a payment is made at paypal.

Paypal sends aback end IPN (instant paymeny Notification).

This notification is posted to a page(ipn.php) uou can check the return value in associated class file to confirm.

If the page does not exist then this might happen.

else there are some checks in the code to avoid hacks.You need to trap what was posted to that file and make out

1)Are IPNs getting posted o\to your site.

If yes then in which condition are they failing.

generally a change in paypal profile setting might result in such thing s happening.

Satish Mantri

Just bumping this - i use the paypal ipn module and orders are not getting updated to processing. (i'm making my own test orders). I get the paypal payment email, and money does change hands - but i dont get the oscommerce order confirmation email and admin isnt updated.

This is worrying :'(

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

• 3 weeks later...
explanation on how IPN works:

when a payment is made at paypal.

Paypal sends aback end IPN (instant paymeny Notification).

This notification is posted to a page(ipn.php) uou can check the return value in associated class file to confirm.

If the page does not exist then this might happen.

else there are some checks in the code to avoid hacks.You need to trap what was posted to that file and make out

1)Are IPNs getting posted o\to your site.

If yes then in which condition are they failing.

generally a change in paypal profile setting might result in such thing s happening.

Satish Mantri

So is this resolved or should PayPal IPN be not used for now?

• 1 year later...

Same thing started happening to us too ... does anybody have a reason as to why this would happen? Was working perfect at the start ... now nothing :|

We get the payment notification from paypal and the status in oscommerce orders is preparing [paypal ipn] ... but paypal doesnt update the order to processing like it used to... using 2.3.3 - will try an updated version and see if that fixes it :|

Edited by sLaV-

• 1 month later...
Same thing started happening to us too ... does anybody have a reason as to why this would happen? Was working perfect at the start ... now nothing :|

We get the payment notification from paypal and the status in oscommerce orders is preparing [paypal ipn] ... but paypal doesnt update the order to processing like it used to... using 2.3.3 - will try an updated version and see if that fixes it :|

Hi,

I started having the same problem when my web host made changes to the server. When I checked I noticed that my file named http://www.mysite/catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php was gone.

In fact, the whole "modules" directory had disappeared so I uploaded the file from an old backup, did a test order and it worked.

So you might want to check with your web hosting company.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Florence

• 7 months later...

Having the same problem! Paypal -> osCommerce was erratic with changing the order status for months, now does not change it at all.

osC - 2.2ms2-060817

paypal ipn - v2.1

php - 5.2.6

mysql - 5.0.67-community

anyone know if these version numbers are good together? where to start looking for the error?

I just processed my first order through my website using paypal. My order shows 'Preparing [PayPal IPN]' but no transactions to my account. What do I do next?

Thanks

M

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had the same problem, the status of PayPal IPN didn't update after the web has been moved to other web hosting.

I have tested to order something via the web. And it works, the payment successful deposited via PayPal. However, the status didn't change from "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" to "Pending".

I checked that the Global variables is ON.

I am using PayPal IPN v2.3.2 .

Could anyone tell me how to trace and fix the problem step by step. Thanks

Otto

step by step

Check the path of ipn.php; at PayPal - make sure Instant Payment Notification is turned on and has the correct URL, check server logs for call back errors, status should change when orders are verified at PP...

Check the path of ipn.php; at PayPal - make sure Instant Payment Notification is turned on and has the correct URL, check server logs for call back errors, status should change when orders are verified at PP...

Thank you so much

the follow up question I would like to ask:

1) how can I check the server log, as the web is stored in web hosting company

2) what should I need to set in PayPal?

3)Is it necessary using openssl or cURL to communicate with paypal? It seems that I can't receive IPN from Paypal only, the process of purchasing is fine and the payment is deposited successful.

Otto

Hi

I have checked the status in PayPal.

Under IPN history, I found that all status is retrying.

However, one month ago, everything is fine, I can find "sent" status in the list of history.

I haven't change anything, before I found the problem mentioned before.

What's wrong with the PayPal?

How can I sovle it?

Please help

Otto

Hi

I have turned on the IPN in PayPal and put the absolute path in the setting.

However, PayPal claimed that the URL is not correct (http://www.hosting.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php ).

Also, I checked the access log, there is no Post record sent form PayPal.

Is it the problem from web hosting? Coz everything is alright on June.

It is very strange that, when I first time log into the setting of IPN there is no URL, but status is updated before until July.

Is it the link is already set in ipn.php? so that the lnk is override in the setting of IPN?

Many thanks.

Otto