• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK Delivery Regions - Seperate Prices

thewrath1

What does this contrib do?

==========================

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4154

The mod in this package allows you to define shipping costs for any UK Region, and any other region also.

This package contains sql files that will configure a store with a mixture of Counties, Areas and Cities of the UK, compiled by myself to attempt to create the most definitive list of UK Regions available, to deliver goods to.

It also contains some extra information I compiled to help with additions or alterations and interest.

I use Parcelforce for my shipping, and therefore, I need to define areas of the UK.

I have ceated this for British osCommerce store creators, due to the lack of a complete list provided by

all of the contributions I have tested (which accounts for a vast ammount).

The standard un-altered install will create the following;

=====================================================================

173 Zones for the UK (222) in ZONES.

20 pre-filled Region Areas containing 173 Counties.

(The counties can be moved or removed via osC Admin)

A different price for any of the 20 regions!!!

Pre-set prices for each region, which can be changed to suit!

About The 173 Counties

======================

The Counties consist of United Kingdom,Scotland,Scottish Highlands & Islands,Channel Isles,Northern Ireland,Wales, and many other surrounding islands. All of these are defined as just United Kingdom (222).

The list of counties is as close to complete I can get without suffering 'zone syndrome'.

I have spent many weeks preparing this list, trawling many contribs and material to make it as concise as possible for the majority of us.

Resources that I gained this from include, PayPal as a base list, osc contribs, Wikipedia for 'shire' and zone info and comparisons to Royal Mail and the post office. Many comparisons have been also made to online stores.

Prices can be set for any combination of Counties, Countries or Both. Or even 1 price for the whole lot!

How it works...

===================================================================

When a customer types their County, it gets recognised from the list, which has a set cost defined by you in Admin.

As an example: If they live in Bedfordshire, and spell it correctly, it will be recognised, if they type Beds, it will also get recognised, since I have defined the ISO codes as 4 characters for some of the county name abbreviators out there!

If it doesnt get recognised, then a prompt will ask them to select from a drop down menu that appears, and then of course it will recognise.

Personally I have a drop down already on my own store, so there is no need for recognition, yet this contrib still works nevertheless very well.

(If someone can contribute with a drop down as standard for the Counties, it will create a more friendly experience for the shopper.)

Please post any questions here rather than PM me, thanks!

And be kind - this is my first contrib :thumbsup:

Q/ How many therapist's does it take to change a lightbulb?

A/ Two. But the lightbulb has to really 'want' to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have installed everything and changed setting in the admin side.

When I create an account and then purchase an item and then go to checkout, I get the following:

This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.

UK Standard Delivery

No delivery available to the selected location

I have tried several names and addresses including upper and lower case but to no avail...any ideas :)

Kind Regards.

KB

Thanks for the counties, although there are some missing and some without the shire bit on according to this site

http://www.abcounties.co.uk/counties/list.htm

I'm not using the shipping part of your contrib just needed the counties, thanks :thumbsup:

No problem, glad you are happy.

I did state in the mod, how the counties can to be, and how i chose, starting with all those that as standard Paypal use.

I know there are shire's missing, it was intentional, because shire's are actually very dead, and some not needed.

The site you quoted, has a stamp at the bottom: Last Updated Feb 2004. (VERY OLD) :-)

The post office sorting office don't even use County names anymore either.

Hi,

I have installed everything and changed setting in the admin side.

When I create an account and then purchase an item and then go to checkout, I get the following:

UK Standard Delivery

I have tried several names and addresses including upper and lower case but to no avail...any ideas :)

Kind Regards.

KB

I have 2 live shops using this without any problem, so I can guarantee it works.

Where is the delivery location you typed?? and have you only got one country? and is your Admin Config for osc set to your county and country?

I have 2 live shops using this without any problem, so I can guarantee it works.

Where is the delivery location you typed?? and have you only got one country? and is your Admin Config for osc set to your county and country?

Hi thewrath,

I'm going for a reinstall, maybe it was something I did or missed out - I'll drop you a line later in the week to let you know how I've got on.

Kind Regards

KB.

ps thanks for replying to my query.

• 3 weeks later...

These steps will make thing a little easier

plus help fix Zero Price Problems / 0 price showing instead of eg: ?50.00

Plus the error: No delivery available to the selected location

1/. Make sure includes/languages/english.php

is set to GBP

define('LANGUAGE_CURRENCY', 'GBP');

and spanish and german are set to EUR

2/. Re-upload the regions.php file from my UK Mod.

includes/modules/shipping/regions.php

3/. Make sure you have:

United Kingdom in your countries, GB GBR

United Kingdom in your tax zones, All Zones

Tax Rates set to United Kingdom, 17.5000, VAT

4/. Currencies has UK Pounds (default), GBP, 1.0000, Symbol Left: ?

Decimal Point: .

Thousands Point: ,

Decimal Places: 2

Value: 1.00000000

CLICK UPDATE CURRENCIES!

5/. Languages is English (default), en, drectory=english

6/. A payment module is available

7/. Switch To Default Language Currency = false

or true if you have more than one language.

8/. In Configuration/My Store make sure;

the county and zone are selected where your shop is.

9/. REFRESH THE BROWSER by emptying your cache/cookies/paths, to check for changes to the front end each time. This is very important especially for the 0 price problems.

Hope this helps a few of you out there :D

Thanks thewrath1

for the help and information with fixing the problems with my site and the further informative advice 10/10 TOP BLOKE!

Kroggy. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

UK Standard Delivery

Did all the above , still getting this erorr.

no option appears for a "choose from pull down box" ..only after going into change address option

UK Standard Delivery

Did all the above , still getting this erorr.

no option appears for a "choose from pull down box" ..only after going into change address option

Are you sure you are using the correct weight for your item? Give me an example

Are you sure you are using the correct weight for your item? Give me an example

:blush: :blush: Sorry Daz , my mistake , it's all working perfectly now on my test site. I shall install it on my main site tonight.

:thumbsup:

Wish I had the same...tried again to fix the installation on a test site after the help from the 'thewrath' - still no joy <_<

Just don't get it, there isn't much that should go wrong with uploading two files plus the sql data files, change a few settings surely.....

I have even got to the point of copying exactly the settings that thewrath did for me on another test site (I need to know that I can install it myself) - just need to get it installed for a UK site that I am working on.

Anyone got ANY clues to where I am going wrong on all this :'(

Carefull with the comments eh...(LOL)!

Wish I had the same...tried again to fix the installation on a test site after the help from the 'thewrath' - still no joy <_<

Just don't get it, there isn't much that should go wrong with uploading two files plus the sql data files, change a few settings surely.....

When you enable the module which method are you using to calculate the shipping ....is it weight?

and just a quick question from me ......

is it possible to display the full county name in the customers address during the checkout process, rather than the abbreviation ?

it shows on orders with the full county name in admin.

and just a quick question from me ......

is it possible to display the full county name in the customers address during the checkout process, rather than the abbreviation ?

it shows on orders with the full county name in admin.

I just changed the abbreviated name in zone to be the full name, i think that's what you mean

I just changed the abbreviated name in zone to be the full name, i think that's what you mean

Cheers daz.... is this what you mean ? , change this ......

INSERT INTO zones
 (zone_id, zone_country_id, zone_code, zone_name)
VALUES
 (22, 222, "CAER", "Caerphilly");

to this.......

INSERT INTO zones
VALUES
 (22, 222, "Caerphilly", "Caerphilly");

I have this nicely configured but as most carriers (including mine) in UK seem to define their delivery zones by postcode rather than county I wonder if anyone has tweaked this excellent contribution to use the data in the postcode entry (the first 3 or 4 characters of it that is) to determine rates? I cannot find another contribution that does this - there is a US one called zipship (as in zip code) but that looks fiddlier to configure correctly.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to use this contrib but have it modified slightly, i'm working on a skiphire website where the client only delivers to a 40 mile radius, but the delivery cost varies wildly according to their postcode area.

E.g:

RG1 costs ?5 over standard delivery

RG2 costs ?8.30 over standard delivery

etc...

So instead of it checking the county i'd like to check the postcode or, even better i'd like a dropdown with the first half of the postcode (from RG1 to RG50).

Anyone any ideas, i haven't installed this contrib yet in case i can't manipulate it enough to be useful

Cheers daz.... is this what you mean ? , change this ......

INSERT INTO zones
VALUES
 (22, 222, "CAER", "Caerphilly");

to this.......

INSERT INTO zones
VALUES
 (22, 222, "Caerphilly", "Caerphilly");

Yes mate, that's what i did :thumbsup:

Nice mod, works well with: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2028

can be seen here: http://www.almatcomputers.co.uk/create_account.php

ignore layout images as this is a test store.

Hi,

can you tell me how you got the 'create account' to include the mod straight away?

The the site I am working on ( http://www.freshisbest.co.uk/index.php - site IS LIVE ) only kicks into the mod once the new client enters the details into the create_account and is then sent to the other create_account page where the mod is, part of their information is stored but they have to re enter their password and then select a region from the dropdown box for it to complete the process.

As always with the forum, any help is always appreciated :thumbsup:

Kroggy

Not a 100% sure exactly what you mean or are trying to do, please explain a bit better and I will see what I can do.

Stuart

Hi Stu,

when a new client registers onto the site they have to go through the sign up process, except on my clients site they sign up on one page which is then refreshed with some of their information but then the regions box (drop down menu) is included - they have to then select this as it forms part of the pricing for delivery.

On the site that I viewed the clients went straight into the correct page that already had the drop down menu - hence to say they did not have to do the process twice.

Hope that was a bit more clear, I can see in my head but it does not always conveys into type.

Kind Regards.

Kroggy