• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Supplemental Index on your store?

cgchris99

Google Supplemental Index on your store?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is your store experiencing google supplemental results?

• My site on google is all or mostly supplemental
    • My site is partially listed as supplemental
    • My site is listed perfectly in google

I was wondering how many oscommerce stores are experiencing supplemental indexes in google. The way to test this is going to google and doing

site:putyourstoredomainhere.com

Now look through the listings. Do they say Supplemental Result next to them. You may have to look through multiple pages. My supplementals don't show up until page 7 then everything from there on is supplemental. Considering google returns 4000+ results for my site, that's a lot of supplementals.

If you have a ton supplemental results, your traffic is not near what it should be from google.

Thanks for answering the poll

This problem has been recorded and acknowledged by Google and is in the process of getting fixed. It is the result of their latest "Big Daddy" update. It was mentioned on the google blog.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

OK, my site is mostly 'supplememtal' also, and now? What am I going to do?

Google will either fix it or not and since I'm getting most of my visitors/customers from MSN and Yahoo and Google is the most unreliable search engine anyway I don't give a &^#$*.

Just my HO.

Kristine Running Wolf

my traffic fluctuates rapidly with google, stays steady in every other search engine. (not great for what it used to be though) this has been going on nonstop since fall (isn't this when "big daddy" begun?)

months ago, i've read that google was working on fixing some bugs/problems within big daddy but i can't say i notice. i'm still seeing crappy results regardless of what i search (skyscraper sites ranking well above most content-worthy sites, etc)

"big daddy" seems to have done the complete opposite of googles "no spamming or flooding" policy.

one of my competitors has mirror pages (this has been going on since 2003 now..) with ever so slightly different content (name of the website, etc); but all of the product links direct right back to their mother site... they rank pretty much top in every keyword i'm targeting... isn't this the type of garbage google has been trying to get rid of??? sure doesn't seem that way.

another thiing i LOVE to see when i'm looking for information ( :rolleyes: ) useless TLD's with ADSENSE all over their site and no content (unless you count the paragraphs/product descriptions taken from other websites)

from what i can see, the only supplimental pages i have are ones i have filtered in robots.txt (why the heck is google taking these url's anyway? my robots.txt was setup before my site even went live...). there are 28 pages from my site and i don't have the patience to sift through them all.. though i did notice this:

Results 271 - 276 of about 288

i have over 1300 LIVE products.. but i read on another forum that this number isn't always "on track" so to speak

it almost seems as though somebody messed up majorly at google and they can't figure out how to fix it. i've been getting WAAAAY more relevant results (for anything searched) on msn than google. but i am not too fond on the new "google-style" layout they launced not too long ago.. the copycat stuff irritated me badly enough i went back to google. i mean why not? it only takes 5 hours to find some websites actually relevant to what you're looking for. :rolleyes:

BigDaddy isn't the first major update that Google have made and I'm sure it won't be the last. I remember two or three other major updates which had a similar major effect on search results.

I've seen Google unofficially state they are making some minor changes to address the supplemental pages issue. But I haven't seem them acknowledge there is a problem and if there was they wouldn't of rolled BigDaddy out to all of their data centres.

The reason that pages go supplemental is that Google sees them as not being that relevant, not that important and that there are plenty of other pages that are more suitable to return as search results. Google only returns supplemental pages when it can't find anything that matches the search in its main index.

What can you do if your pages have gone supplemental?

Keep on working on your website, performing all the seo stuff to improve your search engine rankings. Find other ways of generating traffic for your website. Its not an immediate fix but it is the only thing that will work and it will pay off eventually.

I haven't been affected by this issue and I do sympathise with everyone affected by it but sitting around waiting for Google to make changes and moaning about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

Jon.

The reason that pages go supplemental is that Google sees them as not being that relevant, not that important and that there are plenty of other pages that are more suitable to return as search results. Google only returns supplemental pages when it can't find anything that matches the search in its main index.

I love this statement. If this was actually true, then why does site:yourdomainhere.com show supplemental results? I don't think you can find a more specific query than using "site:"

All I know is my March stats for Unique visitors is half of what it was.

All I know is my March stats for Unique visitors is half of what it was.

MY stats show the same numbers but since 'Kathrina' my sales haven't recovered the way I wish they would have. What am I going to do now? Whom am I going to blame?

There are ups & downs happening outside the bedroom and I think it's called 'life'

Kristine Running Wolf

I was wondering how many oscommerce stores are experiencing supplemental indexes in google. The way to test this is going to google and doing

site:putyourstoredomainhere.com

Now look through the listings. Do they say Supplemental Result next to them. You may have to look through multiple pages. My supplementals don't show up until page 7 then everything from there on is supplemental. Considering google returns 4000+ results for my site, that's a lot of supplementals.

If you have a ton supplemental results, your traffic is not near what it should be from google.

Thanks for answering the poll

I have three oscommerce sites - two were all supplemental because the url's all had session id's attached - they were spidered once 9 months ago and never again. One has now been fixed after Google offered an email address for people with all-supplemental sites to email them (now closed). The other is still all supplemental.

The third which was put up after the Jagger update did index all pages nicely, but now only has 10% of the pages listed.

I love this statement. If this was actually true, then why does site:yourdomainhere.com show supplemental results? I don't think you can find a more specific query than using "site:"

It shows supplemental results because Google couldn't get any or enough matches from its main index, so it gives you pages that are in the supplemental index.

I've been hit by a major Google change before, can't remember which one it was. I was ranked in the top 10 for a major keyword and now I don't even get in the top 200.

Relying on traffic from any search engine is dangerous, especially Google. There is no obligation on any search engine to return your pages in its search results, a lot of people seem to think there is.

Jon.

Hi all,

I have had a problem since Feb. My html pages of my site are doing fine, all the osc portion is gone or supplemental !! Only 2 of my products show up as products. I'm at a loss and since Feb my visitors are down quite a bit from google.

Just sitting here waiting for a fix from them someday. Nothing changed in the store as far as setting, we were doing great, then we were gone.

Thanks for this post for venting purposes LOL,

Linda

Google search result quality is nowhere near what it was a year or so ago. One obvious problem is all the price comparison websites which are showing up high in the results, at least they do on keywords I'm interested in. Though I notice this a lot when doing general searches, as well as other rubbish creeping in.

The only reason I use Google is out of habit and because its in my toolbar, I'm sure a lot of people are the same. I think its time I tried some other search engines.

How do you market a search engine? I mean, its not like they can perform seo to get better rankings in search engines is it. Its a problem when everyone views Google as the number one search engine, how do you change those views?

Jon.

:angry:

Only th ebase page is listing in google and I cannot figure out why.... I have done the google sitemaps, installed SEO URLs and added content to my pages. The description is not even showing up in google. Maybe someone can help!!!!

Thanks

Lee

www.apollowear.com

site of men's underwear.

I have seen numerous posts on numerous websites showing the same problem you are having. We are all having similar problems. The worst part is not knowing what to do. Do we wait for google to fix the issue and do nothing or do we start working on changes only to find out google fixes the problem and we have created more issues by creating changes.

I have made some modifications but nothing drastic. I have added 301 redirects and added robots.txt entries for pages I don't want indexed. Google still has pages listed that are in my robots.txt file and also old cache from 2005.

I have seen numerous posts on numerous websites showing the same problem you are having. We are all having similar problems. The worst part is not knowing what to do. Do we wait for google to fix the issue and do nothing or do we start working on changes only to find out google fixes the problem and we have created more issues by creating changes.

I have made some modifications but nothing drastic. I have added 301 redirects and added robots.txt entries for pages I don't want indexed. Google still has pages listed that are in my robots.txt file and also old cache from 2005.

Hi all.

Adding a perminent redirect 301 and adding to the robots.txt is fine but does google really still index these urls from your database??

I havent hosted oscommerce for 12 months and upgraded server from window to linux and now running only html pages and still google shows good listing to non existant oscomerce URLS.

What I have noticed though it only shows mydomain/catalog/ as when I first installed the website.

under the default catalog directory name (catalog) this directory was named as it was only temperary but the search result have still show (catalog) old.

Could there be something in the default set up that of oscomerce that is essessivley google friendly.??

Big Problem? :devil:

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

Hi all.

Adding a perminent redirect 301 and adding to the robots.txt is fine but does google really still index these urls from your database??

I havent hosted oscommerce for 12 months and upgraded server from window to linux and now running only html pages and still google shows good listing to non existant oscomerce URLS.

What I have noticed though it only shows mydomain/catalog/ as when I first installed the website.

under the default catalog directory name (catalog) this directory was named as it was only temperary but the search result have still show (catalog) old.

Could there be something in the default set up that of oscomerce that is essessivley google friendly.??

Big Problem? :devil:

well, basically every dynamic website is a little odd that way, normally if a page is not found static your server sends a 404 and that ends it. Dynamics show a nice product not found page and send a 200 ok and google keeps on coming back as it assumes that is still a valid page.

Treasurer MFC

well, basically every dynamic website is a little odd that way, normally if a page is not found static your server sends a 404 and that ends it. Dynamics show a nice product not found page and send a 200 ok and google keeps on coming back as it assumes that is still a valid page.

Thanks for the reminder, that had not occurred to me before. My product pages now return a proper 404 Not Found if the product is gone. Just one more thing we have to do to appease the search engine gods....

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived