• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

General question about selecting and installing contribs

wooly

Hi there I'm new here and this is my first post...

Oscommerce looks exciting and I have a working install but I have a question... please forgive me if its an obvious one.. or maybe in the wrong place...

like it says in the description...

is there a place where contrib can be seen working before going through an install procedure?

It seems a little odd having to go through an install and then find that the contrib innst what i hoped or was looking for.

For example in mambo cms dev forums there are links to existing working modules and components (contribs) that make selection a much more useful activity

thanks in advance

W

Hi there I'm new here and this is my first post...

Oscommerce looks exciting and I have a working install but I have a question... please forgive me if its an obvious one.. or maybe in the wrong place...

like it says in the description...

is there a place where contrib can be seen working before going through an install procedure?

It seems a little odd having to go through an install and then find that the contrib innst what i hoped or was looking for.

For example in mambo cms dev forums there are links to existing working modules and components (contribs) that make selection a much more useful activity

thanks in advance

W

If you poke around you can often find sites with the contributions you are interested in installed. Usually a contribution has a thread devoted to the support of that contribution often within these threads there are many links to stores with that particular contribution installed. This is one way to see what you are looking for.

I don't know of a similar forum like the one you describe in mambo. Oscommerce tends to be more hands on and involves more of actually editing code than mambo.

Don't let this dissuade you osc is very versatile and customizable and can be fun getting to work the way you want it.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

If you poke around you can often find sites with the contributions you are interested in installed. Usually a contribution has a thread devoted to the support of that contribution often within these threads there are many links to stores with that particular contribution installed. This is one way to see what you are looking for.

I don't know of a similar forum like the one you describe in mambo. Oscommerce tends to be more hands on and involves more of actually editing code than mambo.

Don't let this dissuade you osc is very versatile and customizable and can be fun getting to work the way you want it.

I think what he's referring to is some kind of contribution moderation. For example, it seems anyone can upload a "fix" or updated contribution in OSC, but the dev mods for Mambo and Joomla CMS test out the contributions before they get uploaded. With the way the system is now, it is a general mess, with no sure way to know if the thing is going to work before you install it. There's also no guarantee that one contribution in OSC is going to work with another contribution.

Mambo also comes with an installer, that way you aren't editing core files, and possibly screwing up your site. If a contribution doesn't work, you hit a button to uninstall. With OSC, you have to re-edit each individual file to uninstall.

Overall, I've become so familiar with the OSC files only because they seem to be user-intensive, and if you're not familiar with programming, you can forget modifying your OSC store.

Unfortunately, I just don't have time anymore to fool with the OSC files, as it seems to take me an entire week just to diagnose a problem. It's frustrating.

FYI, Mambo's SEF URLs is NOT compatible with the new version of OSC, because the latest version of OSC incorporates SEO URLs, employing the mod_rewrite in apache, which is already being used by Mambo, so you end up redirecting the redirects to a 404 site.

Good Luck!