• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search box in header navigation bar

Hmm seems I was a bit premature.

My problems are now

1 I want to get a button that says search on it

2 My search box is now next to my text shortcuts

3 My text shortcuts are black and I cant see them, how do I change them to white?

Ive sorted number 2 out by spcing things using margins :-) I dont know wether this is the correct way but it works for me :-)

<div id="header" class="grid_24">

<div id="storeLogo"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'store_logo.png', STORE_NAME) . '</a>'; ?></div>

<div style="margin-top:10px;">

<?php

echo '<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '" alt="" >' .($cart->count_contents() > 0 ? ' (' . $cart->count_contents() . ')' : '') . HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS . '</a>'. ' '.'»'.' '.

'<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '" alt="" >' . HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT . '</a>' .' '.'»'.' '.

'<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '" alt="" >' . HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT . '</a>';

if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

echo ' '.'»'.' '.'<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL') . '" alt="" >' . HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF . '</a>';

}

?>

<div style="margin-top:5px;">

<?php

echo tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get');

echo tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 200px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);

?>  </form>

</div>

That just leaves me with :

1 I want to get a button that says search on it

2 My text shortcuts are black and I cant see them, how do I change them to white?

Can anybody help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i tried this code

<?php

echo tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get');

echo '<strong>Search Site:</strong> ' . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 100px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);

?>  </form>

and it worked but i have another problem..the button doesnt align with the field..any suggestion guys?

-=PINOY AKO=-

• 4 months later...

For installing a search field in the header and be able to easily move it in various positions, I did it as a layer. Some may not like layers but it has worked for me in all browsers for years.

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:256px; height:32px; z-index:1; left: 734px; top: 24px;"><?php echo tep_draw_form('search', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get') . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description','1') . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="75" style="width: ' . (125) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() .'<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Search">' . '</form>';

?></div>

I put this in the header div.

hey missery I think you might like another way better! In the new cart 2.3.1 it doesn't work as well because when you resize the browser the search box does not move with the page causing it to be off!

So let me know if you are interested in having the search box fixed to move with the cart. I have the method and will probably put it in addons.

I just created a quick and easy addon for 2.3 that adds a search box field in your header area. This can also add it to the breadcrumb bar. I am sure it will work the same for 2.2 as well.

This contrib will not change any existing scripts but rather simply adds simple fields in header.php and stylesheet.css.

Search Box In Header 2.3

Hope this helps,

Charles

fan4chevy

hey missery I think you might like another way better! In the new cart 2.3.1 it doesn't work as well because when you resize the browser the search box does not move with the page causing it to be off!

So let me know if you are interested in having the search box fixed to move with the cart. I have the method and will probably put it in addons.

i am using 2.2 rc2a, i have installed it and all seems ok , cheers for this..

Archived