• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search box in header navigation bar

This will add a search box to the header navigation bar at the top of the page. If you like it you can disable the standard oscommerce search box by opening includes/column_left.php and adding 2 forward slashes before: require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'search.php'); Thus: //require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'search.php');

This works well on my site, may be different on yours, I have a header bar 22px high, this can be set in catalog/stylesheet.css under this setting: TD.headerNavigation

So Backup and open catalog/includes/header.php

Find:

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
 <tr class="headerNavigation">
<td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' ? '); ?></td>

Change the cellpadding to "0"

Add the following after the above code:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2">
				<!--
					function clearThis(it){
						it.value = "";
					}
				//-->
				</script>
<td class="headerNavigation" align="right" valign="top"><form name="quick_find" method="get" action="/catalog/advanced_search_result.php">
<input type="text" 
name="keywords" size="15" maxlength="50" style="width: 110px" value="Search..." onFocus="clearThis(this);" style="width: 90px">
<input type="image" src="includes/languages/english/images/buttons/button_quick_find.gif" alt="Quick Find" title="Quick Find">
<input type="checkbox" name="search_in_description" alt="Search in descriptions" title="Search in descriptions" value="1">Keywords  
</form>

So BACKUP FIRST and see if it pleases you or not. It includes a "search in description" checkbox.

Have fun!

there is already a contribution about it.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3295

also your code will not work with sessions as you do not use the osc functions to preserve it.

and jscript functions should be included wihin the html head section

There may be a contribution, but it's probably more work than my suggestion. The jscript works fine where it

is, I don't use sessions so that never occurred to me, anyone is welcome to modify the code, I offered it

as a plugnplay solution. But I appreciate your concerns.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Example:

<tr>

<td class="smallText" valign="bottom" colspan="0">

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '">' . TEXT_ENTER_KEYWORDS . '</a>'; php echo TEXT_CHOOSE_CATEGORY; ?>

<?php echo tep_draw_form('advanced_search', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get') . tep_hide_session_id(); ?>

<table background="images/backgrounds/toolbar_haze.gif" align="center" width="98%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td valign="middle"> </td>

<td valign="middle"><?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_draw_hidden_field('inc_subcat', '1', true) . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', ' > Enter Keywords < ', 'onfocus="this.value=\'\'" size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH+50) . 'px"'); ?> 

<?php echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('categories_id', tep_get_categories(array(array('id' => '', 'text' => BOX_ADVSEARCH_ALLCAT)))) . tep_hide_session_id(); ?></td>

</tr>

Hi,

I have just installed it on my site, and it looks fine, but when i click on the search icon it doesn't work and returns an HTTP 404 error (Page not found).

If anyone can help me to resolve this i would appreciate it. My site is:

car-puters.com

Thanks,

Chris

Reason it wont work is because he has it set to work if your root oscommerce install folder is called "catalog"

you have to change it to your root folder name.

the code line is <form name="quick_find" method="get" action="/catalog/advanced_search_result.php">

change "/catalog/ to your oscommerce folder.

• 5 weeks later...

I add this search box to my header, but beside it I want to add the drop down list with the Manufacturers.

But for some reason I can't get it work? anyone give me a hint...

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I am trying to do the same (move the search box to header navigation bar) in oscommerce 2.3.1 but it is not working... could any please advise how to do this in 2.3 version?

Thanks

Bharti

I add this search box to my header, but beside it I want to add the drop down list with the Manufacturers.

But for some reason I can't get it work? anyone give me a hint...

Hi,

I am trying to do the same (move the search box to header navigation bar) in oscommerce 2.3.1 but it is not working... could any please advise how to do this in 2.3 version?

Thanks

Bharti

similar to this ?

www.electricalcity.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with search in the header.php

Well, i says similar...

Basicly, I have altered my header.php so instead of having this code at the start:

<?php

/*

$Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2010 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

if ($messageStack->size('header') > 0) {

echo '<div class="grid_24">' . $messageStack->output('header') . '</div>';

}

?>

<div id="header" class="grid_24">

<div id="storeLogo"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'company_logo.gif', STORE_NAME) . '</a>'; ?></div>

<div id="headerShortcuts">

<?php

echo tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get');

echo '<strong>Search Site:</strong> ' . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 100px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);

}

?>   

<?php

echo tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS . ($cart->count_contents() > 0 ? ' (' . $cart->count_contents() . ')' : ''), 'cart', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART)) .

tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT, 'triangle-1-e', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL')) .

tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT, 'person', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

echo tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF, null, tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'));

}

?>

</div>

I now have the following:

<?php

/*

$Id$

*/

}

?>

<div id="storeLogo"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'company_logo.gif', STORE_NAME) . '</a>'; ?></div>

<?php

echo tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get');

echo '<strong>Search Site:</strong> ' . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 100px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);

?>  

<?php

echo tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS . ($cart->count_contents() > 0 ? ' (' . $cart->count_contents() . ')' : ''), 'cart', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART)) .

tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT, 'triangle-1-e', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL')) .

tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT, 'person', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));

echo tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF, null, tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'));

}

?>

</div>

And the search box itself works fine,

BUT (and this is a bit of a problem) If i got to view a product in the catalog, i can add it from the catalog category view page, but when i select the individual product view page, the "Add to Cart" button tries to do Advanced search instead.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Your <form...> </form> tags are screwed.

You have to close one form before opening another.

When the results from one form are passed to another this is always the case.

Look at the HTML source and search for the <form...> </form> tags.

If you have two <form...> tags in succession without an intervening </form> tag - there's the problem.

I think there is some mechanism in osC that's supposed to supply the closing form tag, but sometimes you have to "brute force" them in.

:blush:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

If you have two <form...> tags in succession without an intervening </form> tag - there's the problem.

I think there is some mechanism in osC that's supposed to supply the closing form tag, but sometimes you have to "brute force" them in.

Thank you so much for your help, you were absolutely spot-on with your advice.

Many thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

Im completely new to all of this and loving it already !!!!!

Ive just updated my header.php with the code below that Allan supplied to get a search box in my header:

<?php

/*

$Id$

*/

}

?>

<?php

?>  <?php

}

?>

</div>

I am now obviously getting the same problem as Allen did.

I can see by your response that the form tags are screwed but what exactly does that mean? rembember Im completely new to this, I do pick things up pretty quickly though so please be gentle for a little while :thumbsup: Do I need to alter the code above or make another change elsewhere?

Thanks in advance Wayne

Most HTML tags have to match. That is, for every <form> there must be a closing </form>. In the code you posted, tep_draw_form() draws the opening <form> tag. You don't have any closing </form> tag, so you need to add that at the end of the part you posted in bold above.

You can see the tags by viewing the page in your browser and selecting "View Page Source." The Firebug addon in Firefox is also very good at showing things like this, and lets you try fixes without changing the source code.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

<?php

?>  </form>

Simples,

Thanks a million Jim

I love this stuff! gotta go to bed, work in the morning and its now 01:30am tee hee, thanks again for the advice

You can see the tags by viewing the page in your browser and selecting "View Page Source." The Firebug addon in Firefox is also very good at showing things like this, and lets you try fixes without changing the source code.

Regards

Jim

No way! thats sounds too easy. So if I download the Firebug addon I can look at the code on any website?

Yes, Firebug will let you look at and change the code on any website. Only in your own browser, of course, but it's handy to check out bits of code to see what they do.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Ive added the search bar but its below my logo, I want it on the right of my logo. How can I move it around?

<div id="storeLogo"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'store_logo.png', STORE_NAME) . '</a>'; ?></div>

<?php

echo tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 200px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);

?>  </form>

No worries peeps, managed to sort this one out myself :thumbsup:

<div id="storeLogo"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'store_logo.png', STORE_NAME) . '</a>'; ?></div>

<div style="margin-top:28px;">

<?php

echo tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 200px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH);

?>  </form>

<?php

echo tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: 200px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_draw_hidden_field('search_in_description', '1') . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH); ?>  </form>

I have another question for you, the search function button has a magnifying class on it. I would like to change this to a button with search written on it.

I guess its gonna be easy but as Im a newby could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance Wayne

I have another question for you, the search function button has a magnifying class on it. I would like to change this to a button with search written on it.

I guess its gonna be easy but as Im a newby could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance Wayne

Hmm seems I was a bit premature.

My problems are now

1 I want to get a button that says search on it

2 My search box is now next to my text shortcuts

3 My text shortcuts are black and I cant see them, how do I change them to white?

Please see code it may make sense :-)

I need to get my search box underneath the text links

<?php

echo '<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '" alt="" >' .($cart->count_contents() > 0 ? ' (' . $cart->count_contents() . ')' : '') . HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS . '</a>'. ' '.'»'.' '.

'<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '" alt="" >' . HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT . '</a>' .' '.'»'.' '.

'<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '" alt="" >' . HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT . '</a>';

echo ' '.'»'.' '.'<a class="headerShortcutLink" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL') . '" alt="" >' . HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF . '</a>';

}

?>

<?php

?>  </form>

<div class="grid_24 ui-widget infoBoxContainer">

<div class="ui-widget-header infoBoxHeading"><?php echo '  ' . $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></div>

</div>

Archived