• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My First On-Line Shop

adrian.pearce

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, looks very professional. Genius' prefer green.

My old man is into all that, I'll give him a shout.

:thumbsup:

1-Ditch the requests since counter in the footer.

2-Get SSl.

3-Your tabs at the top, Home, About Us, etc..... look very out of place. They would look great if you moved them down to touching the top of the breadcrumb bar. That is the area where Top>>Catalog is located.

4-Where is your privacy policy?

5-Your logo text is difficult to read, it is green on a multi shades of green background. I am referring to the part that says "Rutlands of Oakham" and the line underneath that starts with "Stockists of....." I think that part should really stand out, not blend in.

That's about all I noticed, all minor stuff and easily fixed.

1-Ditch the requests since counter in the footer.

2-Get SSl.

3-Your tabs at the top, Home, About Us, etc..... look very out of place. They would look great if you moved them down to touching the top of the breadcrumb bar. That is the area where Top>>Catalog is located.

4-Where is your privacy policy?

5-Your logo text is difficult to read, it is green on a multi shades of green background. I am referring to the part that says "Rutlands of Oakham" and the line underneath that starts with "Stockists of....." I think that part should really stand out, not blend in.

That's about all I noticed, all minor stuff and easily fixed.

Thanks for the reply any more comments ........

Thanks for the reply any more comments ........

I have just added the Printable Catalog with images to the site so that customers are able to print the whole

catalogue. This is configurable in the admin panel to display what you want eg. product name, product code,

price etc.

I highly recommend this contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...intable+catalog

I have just added the Printable Catalog with images to the site so that customers are able to print the whole

catalogue. This is configurable in the admin panel to display what you want eg. product name, product code,

price etc.

I highly recommend this contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...intable+catalog

Any more comments would be appreciated

Any more comments would be appreciated

I'm not sure it's me or not, 10px is the default font size for osCommerce, but I always prefer 12px. If you have LCD screen, which probably is fine, but if you use a 14" crt screen, I'm not sure.

BTW, how do you make the tags on your header, like [Home], [About us], [shows], etc.

Keep up the good work

Nice site. Have a few questions/suggestions.

Name (Stockists of Deerhunter etc.) hard to read green on green.

Contact Us - Do you want to give an option to contact via email? I didn't see one.

Terms & Conditions - #1 doesn't read right. I think maybe "or an offer" should be "as an offer".

Sizing - How does cust pick size of clothes to add to cart. Description shows multiple sizes but how does cust select size when adding to cart.

Tax - If you charge tax, is there a way cust can see how much tax is charged on their order without setting up an account first? Maybe you want to require account setup, but I know a lot of custs won't shop at a place that requires account setup before they can check prices, including tax.

"Top" & "Catalog" appear to take you to same place when you click on them. If so, no need for both; remove one of them.

Remove # of requests at bottom of page. That is useless info.

You might want to increase the font size a little. Seems kind of small to me.

All-in-all, good job. Keep up the hard work and best of luck!

Nice site. Have a few questions/suggestions.

Name (Stockists of Deerhunter etc.) hard to read green on green.

Contact Us - Do you want to give an option to contact via email? I didn't see one.

Terms & Conditions - #1 doesn't read right. I think maybe "or an offer" should be "as an offer".

Sizing - How does cust pick size of clothes to add to cart. Description shows multiple sizes but how does cust select size when adding to cart.

Tax - If you charge tax, is there a way cust can see how much tax is charged on their order without setting up an account first? Maybe you want to require account setup, but I know a lot of custs won't shop at a place that requires account setup before they can check prices, including tax.

"Top" & "Catalog" appear to take you to same place when you click on them. If so, no need for both; remove one of them.

Remove # of requests at bottom of page. That is useless info.

You might want to increase the font size a little. Seems kind of small to me.

All-in-all, good job. Keep up the hard work and best of luck!

Thank You for the comments Insyspider. My customer wanted an on-line shop but you have to phone the

order through at the end. Not my idea of an on-line shop but this is the request. I am trying to convince

them that they need to purchase a computer and go on-line, as the site is very powerful and can basically

run itself. They have no email contact details and that's why it doesn't appear on the site. Thanks again

I'm not sure it's me or not, 10px is the default font size for osCommerce, but I always prefer 12px. If you have LCD screen, which probably is fine, but if you use a 14" crt screen, I'm not sure.

BTW, how do you make the tags on your header, like [Home], [About us], [shows], etc.

Keep up the good work

Hi, i used adobe photoshop cs2 to make the buttons at the top of the page.

I am using a 19" Flat screen monitor and all looks good to me.

Any more comments .......... : :blush:

Hi All,

This is my first on-line shop using oscommerce. It has taken a while to get used to it, but with all the

contributions and the help from the forum, i have enjoyed it.

Please have a look at my site and give me some feedback please.

Here is the link:

http://www.rutlandsofoakham.co.uk

I could not find a privacy statement link on your main page.

I would loose the hit counter in the bottom bar.

I am not crazy about the numbers beside the categories either.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Hi All,

This is my first on-line shop using oscommerce. It has taken a while to get used to it, but with all the

contributions and the help from the forum, i have enjoyed it.

Please have a look at my site and give me some feedback please.

Here is the link:

http://www.rutlandsofoakham.co.uk

I think the site looks very proffessional. One thing I noticed is that you have the category counts turned on. I don't think anyone will think you are proffessional if you have it plastered on the front when you don't have that many products. I really like the product descriptions, becuase you have the material, size, color, etc. I am using high speed cable internet and I noticed the small pictures were a little slow to load. They aren't too slow, but for someone with dialup it might be irritating. I would download this contribution. Next, If you are not wanting to sell the products online, I would remove the add to cart button. (Maybe even replace it with a tell a friend button and remove the tell a friend box less clutter)

I also like your buttons. Did you make them yourself or download them? Overall, pretty good. I can tell that you put a lot of time into it.

I think the site looks very proffessional. One thing I noticed is that you have the category counts turned on. I don't think anyone will think you are proffessional if you have it plastered on the front when you don't have that many products. I really like the product descriptions, becuase you have the material, size, color, etc. I am using high speed cable internet and I noticed the small pictures were a little slow to load. They aren't too slow, but for someone with dialup it might be irritating. I would download this contribution. Next, If you are not wanting to sell the products online, I would remove the add to cart button. (Maybe even replace it with a tell a friend button and remove the tell a friend box less clutter)

I also like your buttons. Did you make them yourself or download them? Overall, pretty good. I can tell that you put a lot of time into it.

Thank You for the comments, i have now removed the category counts which does look much better.

I will have a look at the contribution to help with my photo's. I have high speed broadband and i don't notice

how slow the pictures take to load.

The buttons at the top of the page i made myself in Adobe Photoshop CS2, excellent software for editing

photo's.

:P

Thank You for the comments, i have now removed the category counts which does look much better.

I will have a look at the contribution to help with my photo's. I have high speed broadband and i don't notice

how slow the pictures take to load.

The buttons at the top of the page i made myself in Adobe Photoshop CS2, excellent software for editing

photo's.

:P

The buttons i have inserted in the catalog/includes/header.php

The buttons i have inserted in the catalog/includes/header.php

To try and optimise my first on line shop for the search engine listings i have had to add a .htm page.

I was finding that google was showing the website name and no content, so searching for the site would

have been difficult.

If anyone has any comments about this or could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I find that trying to get a good listing with any site is difficult, maybe someone might be able to help me on

this.

To try and optimise my first on line shop for the search engine listings i have had to add a .htm page.

I was finding that google was showing the website name and no content, so searching for the site would

have been difficult.

If anyone has any comments about this or could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I find that trying to get a good listing with any site is difficult, maybe someone might be able to help me on

this.

Can anyone take a look at my site and see if you can give me some suggestions to optimisation.

I have installed a meta tag contribution but it doesn't seem to work very well. How about doing it manually.

Can anyone take a look at my site and see if you can give me some suggestions to optimisation.

I have installed a meta tag contribution but it doesn't seem to work very well. How about doing it manually.

I am trying to clear in reports the products viewed and products purchased because this was for testing out

the site. Does anyone know how to please !!!!!

Shop Here

I like your layout and I have to ask this because I would like to do the same as you but cant find anything I like

I want to get rid of almost all info boxes and use tabs in the header I have seen a few contribs but are more difficult to mod than the instructions say

Basically I want an image like you have with on off color and able to use with the breadcrumbs I really want to get rid of the top bar as well.

Thanks for any help

I like your layout and I have to ask this because I would like to do the same as you but cant find anything I like

I want to get rid of almost all info boxes and use tabs in the header I have seen a few contribs but are more difficult to mod than the instructions say

Basically I want an image like you have with on off color and able to use with the breadcrumbs I really want to get rid of the top bar as well.

Thanks for any help

I altered the layout myself. I looked for the boxes that needed removing and then found

them in the code which i commented out. It was a bit of trial and error but achieved it in the

end. I have made my own buttons in Adobe Photoshop CS2 and inserting them in the header of the page.

I altered the layout myself. I looked for the boxes that needed removing and then found

them in the code which i commented out. It was a bit of trial and error but achieved it in the

end. I have made my own buttons in Adobe Photoshop CS2 and inserting them in the header of the page.

Can anyone help me with resetting the products viewed......

Archived