• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Brand new fitness/bodybuilding osC site

Predd0

Fabulous job there Jay...very well done. The website is content rich and user friendly.

A few minor comments:

- The background from the left hand column...can you set it not to repeat?

- The search & newsletter signup fields might be unintuitive for the non computer savvy..

- 139013 hits since 12/03/2006 - what is meant by "hits"? looks impressive, but is it? - My feeling is that that info crowds your top area and the information about your website traffic would only be important on your advertisers info page etc... it's better to talk in terms of unique visitors and repeat visitors / demographics etc, rather than "hits" as the term is meaningless.

- The date is also a waste of space, because folks sitting at a computer have a clock & calendar available...

- Have you thought of having the food database accessible via browse facility to help users? either by directory categories or a simple A - Z listing structure?

- You could add a small link to the Newsletter Archives under the sign up area, so that folks are more encouraged to join...It's unintuitive to think to look under "News" ;)

- I know that your logo and breadcrumb nav include a link to "home" but I think it is a good idea to add a link above "Products" to "Home" to help folks out. Same on your custom 404 error page, add a text link to invite people to click through

- For SEO - a small improvement could be made by paying more attention to your page title...Branding is good, but if you don't give an indication of what folks will find on the individual page you might be missing out on more search engine traffic... keep it short, sweet and simple, but don't be afraid to use key phrases to reflect the page content.

That's it from me,,, all the best!

:thumbsup:

Fabulous job there Jay...very well done. The website is content rich and user friendly.

A few minor comments:

- The background from the left hand column...can you set it not to repeat?

- The search & newsletter signup fields might be unintuitive for the non computer savvy..

- 139013 hits since 12/03/2006 - what is meant by "hits"? looks impressive, but is it? - My feeling is that that info crowds your top area and the information about your website traffic would only be important on your advertisers info page etc... it's better to talk in terms of unique visitors and repeat visitors / demographics etc, rather than "hits" as the term is meaningless.

- The date is also a waste of space, because folks sitting at a computer have a clock & calendar available...

- Have you thought of having the food database accessible via browse facility to help users? either by directory categories or a simple A - Z listing structure?

- You could add a small link to the Newsletter Archives under the sign up area, so that folks are more encouraged to join...It's unintuitive to think to look under "News" ;)

- I know that your logo and breadcrumb nav include a link to "home" but I think it is a good idea to add a link above "Products" to "Home" to help folks out. Same on your custom 404 error page, add a text link to invite people to click through

- For SEO - a small improvement could be made by paying more attention to your page title...Branding is good, but if you don't give an indication of what folks will find on the individual page you might be missing out on more search engine traffic... keep it short, sweet and simple, but don't be afraid to use key phrases to reflect the page content.

That's it from me,,, all the best!

:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for the much-needed feedback - very helpful!

I have set the background to not repeat (didn't know you could do this) :) I also added a short-cut to the newsletter archive - excellent idea.

Search/signup fields...yes I'll have to work on this. Any ideas on how to improve this??

I once read that the date can be a useful tool of advising visitors that the website is up-to-date, and not a year old. The 'hits' really serves little qualitative purpose...it is simply 'eye-candy' to advise visitors that the website receives significant traffic. It is the number of page requests (just like the default counter in osC). Advertisers receive a much more comprehensive analysis of the website statistics.

Food database categories - in progress :D Pain in the butt to code (as the database uses a different structure to osC)...but this is something I'll get up very soon.

Good idea with the home - that has been added.

With the page titles, can you give me examples as I am unsure as to what you are referring to exactly. They used to be very generic and now they are all customised based on the page being viewed.

Yes, it is good that you can optimize them individually, I would just take it another step and do some work on your main pages to bring out the key phrases you want to be found under.

If you do a site search on google you can quickly see how your titles looked when indexed.

www.google.com.au/search?q=site:www.aminoz.com.au

Cruising around them I don't see a lot of the words I would expect to see...Maybe:

weightloss, bodybuilding, personal trainer, sports nutrition, fatloss etc etc etc

I'm not saying you should stuff key phrases into your page titles, just don't waste the space and make it more descriptive and appealing.

So instead of "Welcome to Amino Z" you would have a title that tells a person what they will find if they click on the link....Amino Z unless known doesn't motivate someone who is searching for a solution...

You have a large site with lots of pages, you can make them work better for you in the search engines...

Maybe insert some text on the page in your content areas - especially for when people have to drill down more than two clicks from a base page...if you do that (describing in text on the page what you are showing the person - then reflect it into the title and Metas the pages will become stronger - become entry points.

Ah okay then I understand what you mean - thanks for the explanation. Very good points raised and ones that I will begin work on immediately.

Meanwhile I just finished the food categories page. I cleaned up the left menu as well by removing the search box and replacing with a link to the "FOOD INFO" section. There the user can search or browse through food categories. As much as I'd like a food search box on the left, there are so many items I really need to keep that menu as simple as possible.

You move fast, don't you!

Good work on the Food Database...now you need to tweak it until you get the good key phrases into the structure...

FOOD CATEGORIES <---meaningless

Food database with nutritional analysis of everyday foods - assisting you to select your daily intake for a balanced and nutritious diet to promote health, vitality and strength.

food, food database, nutritional information, diet

Sometimes when you know your stuff so well it is harder to step outside your square and look with fresh eyes.. the eyes that are on you are your target market and the search engine robots (well - competitors also!)

Optimise it slowly and tweak it to perfection - I know you want to! :thumbsup:

I am new here and I think that some of the areas I am trying to address would be better off in the marketing section and not review.. so, sorry about my lack of knowing how to get around in here.

ooh that is very good for the food database. Something just clicked with me and I see exactly where you're coming from now. That will be todays project :D

Food database is something that really needs to be worked on - it's generating some traffic but no where near it's potential. Considering there is so much data available there.

Website has been up for nearly 6 months now (in addition to the 6 months development before release) - and it's only recently that I've been paying attention to SEO. So a lot of work lies ahead, but luckily it's just tweaking :)

"Food Nutritional Database" (now renamed) has been tweaked along with the calculators section. Key words all over the place - and I will continue to tweak the rest of the site.

Out of interest I just looked at the websites traffic for the month of August. Relative to July, page views has increased by a factor of FOUR!

I guess a lot of this traffic can be attributed to search engines now roaming the website like crazy (yay) but there has also been a significant increase in incoming consumer traffic. Cannot wait to see what happens once the heavy marketing kicks in.

• 3 weeks later...

New module added - a health based recipes section. The main page for this module is at:

http://www.aminoz.com.au/recipes-rc-5.html

This section uses the data from the food database in order to generate the nutritional profile of the recipe. On each recipe page, the number of servings can be altered, thus changing the quantity of ingredients and nutritional panel. Users can vote and submit feedback on each recipe. Users can also submit their own recipe through a form.

This module again is a replication of the 'products' section. The 'products_info' equivalent page has been heavily modified however to obtain data from a separate database storing all the food information.

Very keen on suggestions/comments since I just released it minutes ago. Thanks :D

Archived