• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google XML Sitemap w/ Admin support

I tried it again with the new instructions and hit another wall with the above errors. I don't have SEO installed. I don't think it really matters. I turned on and off the Search Engine Safe URL's with no differences noted.

I hadn't noticed any problem at first by turning on the Search-Engine Safe URL's, but a day later I noticed that the product popup images started showing up as the default logo graphic. I thought the problem was with the config files because I had recently moved the catalog directory to the root (it used to be inside of a second directory). After checking out any config possibilities I remembered I'd left the Safe URL's on. Turn it off and all the graphics for the products come back.

There's usually a reason something is labeled "still in development". There must come a time when you have to believe you've modded enough, without starting from scratch. I'm using oscommerce 2.2 with STS, Header Tags Controller, All Products, Order Editor and about 20 lesser contributions, while using a shared SSL. I'm amazed any of this stuff works so well :rolleyes:

Hi All,

I recently installed the "Google XML Sitemap w/ Admin" mod. I (think) I followed all the instructions to the letter, however when I enter the admin->tools->google sitemaps and click on the step one button I get the following message in a popup window.

------ ERROR MESSAGE ------

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/FILENAME_GOOGLE_SITEMAPS): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/sharpe-family.co.uk/subdomains/deliclass/httpdocs/osCommerce/sitemaps.index.php on line 33

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/FILENAME_GOOGLE_SITEMAPS' (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/local/psa/apache_base/2005-04-21/apache_nossl/lib/php') in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/sharpe-family.co.uk/subdomains/deliclass/httpdocs/osCommerce/sitemaps.index.php on line 33

-----------------------------------

Ive probably done something very simple wrong, if anyone could shed some light on this I will be most grateful!

Thanks for this great contribution! I had the same problem as everyone else, basically:

Warning: main(includes/languages/english/FILENAME_GOOGLE_SITEMAPS): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/sharpe-family.co.uk/subdomains/deliclass/httpdocs/osCommerce/sitemaps.index.php on line 33

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/english/FILENAME_GOOGLE_SITEMAPS' (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/local/psa/apache_base/2005-04-21/apache_nossl/lib/php') in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/sharpe-family.co.uk/subdomains/deliclass/httpdocs/osCommerce/sitemaps.index.php on line 33

But after turning on:

Try setting "true" on Admin, Configuration, My Store, Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)

and,

after reuploading, I believe, "filenames.php", it worked.

I just have one question...I know this sounds dumb. But when I submit the map to Google which one do I submit? I have three, I think. I have a sitemap index, sitemap products, and sitemap categories. Do I submit all three?

Please let me know...I really appreciate everyone's help and this contribution.

Jason

Hi

I just installed jonatanvalencia's latest Contribution (22 Mar 2007) Google XML Sitemap - Admin 2.2 + Better README and have run into trouble.

Warning: fopen(c:/............/oscommerce//sitemapproducts.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to create stream: Permission denied in c:\.................................\oscommerce\sitemap.class.php on line 592

ERROR: Google Product Sitemap Generation FAILED!

On checking this line it is obvious that an attempt to write to the site is the problem. My problem is, to what folder (Directory) is the file being written? I cannot change permissions because I cannot figure out where the file is supposed to be written.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff

Thanks for this great contribution! I had the same problem as everyone else, basically:

But after turning on:

and,

after reuploading, I believe, "filenames.php", it worked.

I just have one question...I know this sounds dumb. But when I submit the map to Google which one do I submit? I have three, I think. I have a sitemap index, sitemap products, and sitemap categories. Do I submit all three?

Please let me know...I really appreciate everyone's help and this contribution.

Jason

Jason, submit the sitemap index, its the root.

Regards

Jonatan

Hi

I just installed jonatanvalencia's latest Contribution (22 Mar 2007) Google XML Sitemap - Admin 2.2 + Better README and have run into trouble.

Warning: fopen(c:/............/oscommerce//sitemapproducts.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to create stream: Permission denied in c:\.................................\oscommerce\sitemap.class.php on line 592

On checking this line it is obvious that an attempt to write to the site is the problem. My problem is, to what folder (Directory) is the file being written? I cannot change permissions because I cannot figure out where the file is supposed to be written.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff

Cliff, you have a written permission problem, the file will be generated to /catalog/, you need a w+ (write-user) in that folder, change the permission and try again, if it doesnt work, reset the permissions back

PS: If you can not solve the problem trying several times you could consider uninstall the contribution, its not difficult, but its up to you.

Good luck

Jon

Hi Jonatan,

I tried your solution. ( to activate OSC SEF URLs)

And the result is that I get the standard OSC SEF URLs:

http://mydomain.com/product_info.php/products_id/23

on the site and in the sitemap. ( I don't want this result)

So it over rides my NIMIT SEF URLs.

I would really like a contribution (or a combination of contribs) that gives me these types of URLs:

http://mydomain.com/product/Courage_Under_Fire.html

Both in sitemap & site visible to customers & search engines.

Please help.

OK, I assume that you follow all the installation instruction OK..

First: TRY setting TRUE the Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development) in Admin -> Configuration -> My Store

Its probably that you have set TRUE because of your SEF URL contribution

Idea.....

Lets do this..... if it doesnt work you could remove it quickly

1) In catalog/sitemaps.index.php, look the line 99,

its

if ( (SEARCH_ENGINE_FRIENDLY_URLS == 'true') ) {

change to

// if ( (SEARCH_ENGINE_FRIENDLY_URLS == 'true') ) {

if ( (SEO_SITEMAPS == 'true') ) {

2) In your Database add this SQL (phpMyadmin)

insert into configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, last_modified, date_added, use_function, set_function) values ('Display SEO + Sitemaps', 'SEO_SITEMAPS', 'false', 'Display SEO + Sitemaps.', '1', '999', now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),');

3)In admin -> MyStore ->Display SEO + Sitemaps , set to "true"

4)Try again the sitemaps creation (good luck)

If it doesnt work, you could easily remove the register from the CONFIGURATION table from your database (its only ONE), configuration_key = SEO_SITEMAPS

Regards

Jonatan

Cliff, you have a written permission problem, the file will be generated to /catalog/, you need a w+ (write-user) in that folder, change the permission and try again, if it doesnt work, reset the permissions back

PS: If you can not solve the problem trying several times you could consider uninstall the contribution, its not difficult, but its up to you.

Good luck

Jon

Thanks Jon

You were absolutely right. Problem solved. Great work.

Hi Jonatan,

I tried your solution. ( to activate OSC SEF URLs)

And the result is that I get the standard OSC SEF URLs:

http://mydomain.com/product_info.php/products_id/23

on the site and in the sitemap. ( I don't want this result)

So it over rides my NIMIT SEF URLs.

I would really like a contribution (or a combination of contribs) that gives me these types of URLs:

http://mydomain.com/product/Courage_Under_Fire.html

Both in sitemap & site visible to customers & search engines.

Please help.

mombutu, I was looking again the code from this contribution (SEF URL, the yours), please try this also, especially if the last did not work

look the line 133-135 in catalog/sitemaps.index.php (its the responsible class for the SEO)

its

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php') ){

require_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php');

$seo_urls = new SEO_URL($languages_id);

change to:

/* if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php') ){

require_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php');

$seo_urls = new SEO_URL($languages_id); */

include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'http_client.php');

$u = new httpClient();

$url = $u->url['path']];

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'url_write.php') ){

require_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'url_write.php');

$seo_urls = new transform_url($url);

Let me know your results, in fact I dont think my prior post works, but I think that this one it could

Good luck

Regards

Jonatan

Edited by jonatanvalencia

Hi everybody,

I just installed this contrib (Google XML Sitemap - Admin 2.2 + Better README) and most everything works good, but I do have a couple questions.

1. What is the purpose of the sitemapindex.xml? When I visit this from Admin, it does not list my sitemaps. Should it?

2. Right now this contrib is creating sitemapproducts.xml and sitemapcategories.xml for my site. Can I add more sitemaps easily? I noticed this contrib is built upon one with no Admin. The original one has several sitemap additions like for reviews, articles, etc. Can I simply add those and they will work with this?

Thanks for any advice anyone has regarding these questions.

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

• 2 weeks later...
include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'http_client.php');

$u = new httpClient();

$url = $u->url['path']];

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'url_write.php') ){

require_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'url_write.php');

$seo_urls = new transform_url($url);

in what contribution i can find the file 'url_write.php' ???

looked in seo urls with admin and could not find it, thank you...

greetz john

I want to save my sitemaps to a category (not root)

I created a category called sitemaps and set the chmod to 777

In file sitemap.class.php I changed line 526 from

this

$this->savepath = DIR_FS_CATALOG;

to this

$this->savepath = DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'sitemaps';

Now it make the xml file inside the sitemaps category

My question is "Do I need to change other files (gss.xsl, sitemaps.index.php) too?"

thanks for help and this fantastic contribution

?,???`???,?? God must love stupid people, he made so many ??,???`???,?

Hi everybody,

I just installed this contrib (Google XML Sitemap - Admin 2.2 + Better README) and most everything works good, but I do have a couple questions.

1. What is the purpose of the sitemapindex.xml? When I visit this from Admin, it does not list my sitemaps. Should it?

2. Right now this contrib is creating sitemapproducts.xml and sitemapcategories.xml for my site. Can I add more sitemaps easily? I noticed this contrib is built upon one with no Admin. The original one has several sitemap additions like for reviews, articles, etc. Can I simply add those and they will work with this?

Thanks for any advice anyone has regarding these questions.

Well

1) The purpose is to improve your PR (Page Rank) on google and to improve the ranking search position on google with an enquiry term(s)

2) I guess you cant with this contribution. Probably hacking in it. But you can try

I hope this help

Regards

Jonatan

in what contribution i can find the file 'url_write.php' ???

looked in seo urls with admin and could not find it, thank you...

greetz john

Dear John

In the contribution "SEF URL" http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2796

But the above lines from my past answer was to that specific contribution (SEF URL) + Google XML

Regards

Jonatan

Edited by jonatanvalencia

WOW! I can't believe it! It actually worked. :D

Not that I doubted you, Jon, it's just that I have tried to set my Search-Engine Safe URLs to on several times through out the last two months as I have been building our site and every time that I have tried I would always get the errors that most talk about associated with having it on. I'm scratching my head here. I wonder which of the last three or four contribs I added fixed the problem? This is great! It is showing the links just as I want them now.

Thank you very much!

Gary

Well, the solution wasn't a complete success I am sorry to say. I am having a problem with getting an error "Unable to determine the page link!" Which is associated with having "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" set to true on a few pages. They are generally not the main pages or product pages so I haven't found the correlation.

The only reason I need this set to true is for this contrib.

So I was wondering, why can't we set the "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" to true on the fly in the file sitemaps.index.php and then back to false when it has finished it's magic?

I would try this but I am not exactly familiar with PHP syntax. Can anyone give me a little code to help me on my way and I'll try it out? If someone could give me the proper code I think I can figure out where to put it. This would fix all of my problems with this mucking up the rest of my store.

Thanks for a great contrib!

Gary

Hi there,

I have a small problem with this and I wondered if you might be able to help.

When I create the sitemap my sitemapcategories.xml and sitemapproducts.xml are created ok, I can open them and see the list of items in each of them, but my sitemapindex.xml says

Google Sitemap http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/sitemapindex.xml

Number of sitemaps in this Google sitemap index: 0

Any ideas why this would be?

Thanks

Dave

Well, the solution wasn't a complete success I am sorry to say. I am having a problem with getting an error "Unable to determine the page link!" Which is associated with having "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" set to true on a few pages. They are generally not the main pages or product pages so I haven't found the correlation.

So I was wondering, why can't we set the "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" to true on the fly in the file sitemaps.index.php and then back to false when it has finished it's magic?

I would try this but I am not exactly familiar with PHP syntax. Can anyone give me a little code to help me on my way and I'll try it out? If someone could give me the proper code I think I can figure out where to put it. This would fix all of my problems with this mucking up the rest of my store.

Gary

OK, I tried setting the value to true in the sitemaps.index.php during run time but it seems that it is going to have to be done in the application_top.php instead.

I remember that PHPNuke has a similar argument in it's code for verifying whether the page is being called from the index or not (it's a safety protocol). This is what I have now:

/*  ___________________________________________________________________________
_______  */
//Start  -  Set SEF's if this page was called from googlesitemap.php gmltw April 21-07
 if (!eregi("googlesitemap.php", $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'])) {
tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . tep_db_input('true') . "', last_modified = now() where configuration_id = 11 ");
 } elseif (!eregi("sitemaps.index.php", $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'])) {
tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . tep_db_input('true') . "', last_modified = now() where configuration_id = 11 ");
}else{
// Do nothing
}
//End  -  Set SEF's if this page was called from googlesitemap.php gmltw April 21-07
_______  */

I placed this directly after the

// make a connection to the database... now
 tep_db_connect() or die('Unable to connect to database server!');

in application_top.php and again at the end before the closing ?> except the one before the closing ?> was set to false instead of true.

It works when I am clicking on it from within the Admin Panel under Tools\google site maps but I don't know if it will work when called from CRON. I was hoping that when it is called from CRON that the sending file would be sitemaps.index.php but I have no idea.

Can anyone help me with the CRON issue. That is the main one because I need to leave the SEF's set to false all of the time except when the google site maps are generated. Since most of us have CRON setup to do this on regular intervals we need this to indentify calls from CRON as well. I am thinking that the elseif statement will not accomplish this task because of where it is checking to see where it came from.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I am sure that someone that knows the proper syntax might be able to clean my code up a bit. I know that you should be able to have this be one if statement with or in the first conditional statement. instead of splitting it up into if and elseif. If anyone knows how to do this it would more streamline this code.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary

OK, I tried setting the value to true in the sitemaps.index.php during run time but it seems that it is going to have to be done in the application_top.php instead.

I remember that PHPNuke has a similar argument in it's code for verifying whether the page is being called from the index or not (it's a safety protocol). This is what I have now:

_______  */
//Start  -  Set SEF's if this page was called from googlesitemap.php gmltw April 21-07
}else{
// Do nothing
}
//End  -  Set SEF's if this page was called from googlesitemap.php gmltw April 21-07
_______  */

in application_top.php and again at the end before the closing ?> except the one before the closing ?> was set to false instead of true.

It works when I am clicking on it from within the Admin Panel under Tools\google site maps but I don't know if it will work when called from CRON. I was hoping that when it is called from CRON that the sending file would be sitemaps.index.php but I have no idea.

Can anyone help me with the CRON issue. That is the main one because I need to leave the SEF's set to false all of the time except when the google site maps are generated. Since most of us have CRON setup to do this on regular intervals we need this to indentify calls from CRON as well. I am thinking that the elseif statement will not accomplish this task because of where it is checking to see where it came from.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I am sure that someone that knows the proper syntax might be able to clean my code up a bit. I know that you should be able to have this be one if statement with or in the first conditional statement. instead of splitting it up into if and elseif. If anyone knows how to do this it would more streamline this code.

Thanks,

Gary

_______  */
}else{
// Do nothing
}
_______  */

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

I don't know why this got posted twice. Something was going on with the OSC Site?????

Anyway, the above code does not work. It seems to return true no matter what the calling page is. I assume that it has something to do with the code that I took from PHPNuke. I could use a little help if anyone knows what to do.

Thanks,

Gary

I don't know why this got posted twice. Something was going on with the OSC Site?????

Anyway, the above code does not work. It seems to return true no matter what the calling page is. I assume that it has something to do with the code that I took from PHPNuke. I could use a little help if anyone knows what to do.

Thanks,

Gary

OK, after three days and too many hours that I care to admit, I have a (maybe partial) solution. If after you have installed google xml sitemap and you run it and get back your xml generated link page you have links that look something like -

http://gourmetsoiree.com/admin/configuration.php?gID=1&cID=11

but you have Ultimate SEO URLS or some other SEO contrib that makes your URLs look more friendly for the search engines more like -

http://gourmetsoiree.com/classic-hand-rolled-milk-chocolate-truffles-p-191.html

. If you are able to turn on the OSCs

Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)
and get the results you want in the XML generated pages for google but can't leave
Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)
on all the time because you keep getting the
Error! Unable to determine page link!
on some of your pages. This should fix your problem until someone can come out with something better.

In application_top.php find

Directly after place this code:

//Start  -  Set SEF's if this page was called from googlesitemap.php or sitemaps.index.php to true - gmltw April 21-07
if(strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], 'googlesitemap.php') || strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], 'sitemaps.index.php')) {
}
//End  -  Set SEF's

Then at the very end before the last ?> place this code:

//Start  -  Set SEF's if this page was called from googlesitemap.php or sitemaps.index.php back to false - gmltw April 21-07
if(strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], 'googlesitemap.php') || strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], 'sitemaps.index.php')) {
tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . tep_db_input('false') . "', last_modified = now() where configuration_id = 11 ");
}
//End  -  Set SEF's

That's it.

What this will do is - check to see if google xml sitemap is running. If it is it will set the Search Engine friendly URLs to true just long enough to run the script and then it will set it back to false so that it doesn't fuddle with your other pages.

As you may know, application_top.php is called every time a page is loaded so we can't very well let it turn the SEFs to true every time, that is why we check for the referring or rather in this case the page that begin the request for application_top.php. This way we can have it change only if the google xml sitemap was requester.

The only thing I am not sure on is whether this will cover the case of CRON doing the calling. If you do not have CRON setup to automatically run your google xml sitemap then you shouldn't have anything at all to worry about. I will be trying to determine the CRON issue so if I figure it out, I'll post it here.

Hope this helps someone.

Gary

I just noticed something about google xml sitemaps that seems little sneaky to me. At the bottom of the sitemapindex.xml page you will notice that there are links.

These links are to other sites that have to do with site maps and not necessarily this contrib ( as far as I could see). It seems to me that this would drive these web sites rank way up because every time google looks through our site map it finds these links which is one of the main things (relevant links to your site from other sites) google looks at.

I would not have a problem with this if it were made clear in the installation notes AND if the sites that are linked would reciprocate the links. Otherwise, I feel like I have been a little taken advantage of.

I just wanted to point that out in case others might feel the same way and wanted to do something about it.

Gary

hi all...

I know it's can be very simple solution but I can't find it, please help

this is error when i run "update your site map" from admin (step 1)

ERROR: Google Category Sitemap Generation FAILED!

ERROR: Google Sitemap Index Generation FAILED!

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 3

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/vhosts/myurl.com/subdomains/shop/httpdocs//sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/vhosts/myurl.com/subdomains/shop/httpdocs//sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/vhosts/myurl.com/subdomains/shop/httpdocs//sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

)

)

THX

hi all...

I know it's can be very simple solution but I can't find it, please help

this is error when i run "update your site map" from admin (step 1)

ERROR: Google Category Sitemap Generation FAILED!

ERROR: Google Sitemap Index Generation FAILED!

Array

(

[QUERY] => Array

(

[PRODUCTS] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 4

)

[CATEOGRY] => Array

(

[sTATUS] => success

[NUM_ROWS] => 3

)

)

[sAVE_FILE_XML] => Array

(

[0] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/vhosts/myurl.com/subdomains/shop/httpdocs//sitemapproducts.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[1] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/vhosts/myurl.com/subdomains/shop/httpdocs//sitemapcategories.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

[2] => Array

(

[file] => /var/www/vhosts/myurl.com/subdomains/shop/httpdocs//sitemapindex.xml

[status] => failure

[file_exists] => true

)

)

)

THX

check that you have writing permissions for the 3 sitemaps :)

Everything installed fine but,

When clicking on step one following error message pops up,

"Not Found

The requested URL /home/wihirt/public_html/catalog/sitemaps.index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Please advise

Thxs

Edited by pederb