• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I block the search engines from picking up my postings on this forum?

Sharon_U

Hi, I'm wondering if I can put together some code (sorry i'm new at this) that blocks the search engine spiders from picking up the info from this forum regarding mywebsite.com. For example when I type my company name and/or website name into Google, I get my postings or other's postings who have commented about me. I especially don't like the ones where members have critiqued my site (calling out mywebsite.com) in the feedback forum being available to everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Sharon

There is definitely nothing you can do about posts that already exist. You also can't do anything about somebody else posting your store's URL. For the future, you can remove your site address from your member profile and within your own posts you can avoid posting links to it or mentioning it by name. However that will often limit other's ability to help you.

Unfortuntely that is the downside of seeking public help and feedback. It is public to all. But, if a potential customer is researching your site before buying, they are gong to be more interested in finding things regarding the quality of your products and service than problems you had developing your site. As long as your site is easy to use and functioning well now, most shoppers don't care what it took to get it working. Within that line of thought, you can work to get positive press about your products and service on review sites and forum that are specific to your product niche.

The only exception regarding posts here about your site that I can think of would be if the posts discussed problems with your site's security. If there any posts out there are posts discussing security issues on your site, you may want to post back something that identifies that the issue has been fixed (assuming it has been).

hth

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm wondering if I can put together some code (sorry i'm new at this) that blocks the search engine spiders from picking up the info from this forum regarding mywebsite.com. For example when I type my company name and/or website name into Google, I get my postings or other's postings who have commented about me. I especially don't like the ones where members have critiqued my site (calling out mywebsite.com) in the feedback forum being available to everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Sharon

hi,

you can't restrict the search engine from crawling this forum. one thing you can do, not to give your company name. as crawler is geting your company name it is placing the forum in your site. so if possible dont give your company name .

cheers

rudradatta

Archived