• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal/osCommerce Newbie Questions

I am pretty new to osCommerce. I am using the PayPal payment module. I have a few questions:

1) Even though the customer has already expressed his or her shipping address within osCommerce, when checking out, PayPal asks for "Shipping Information" again. Is there a way to prevent this, (i.e., have osCommer propogate that information down to PayPal)?.

2) Also, the first PayPal screen gives the user the option to chose wether they have a PayPal account. Is there anyway that I can direct buyers right to the credit card information? My target audience will have no reason for a PayPal account and may get confused.

Hope you can help out! Thanks!

1. The Shipping Address should be passed by osCommerce to Pay Pal. If it's not happening then there's a problem with either your osCommerce install, or else in your Pay Pal account settings.

2. This is the Pay Pal landing page and there's nothing you can do about it.

Vger

I am pretty new to osCommerce. I am using the PayPal payment module. I have a few questions:

1) Even though the customer has already expressed his or her shipping address within osCommerce, when checking out, PayPal asks for "Shipping Information" again. Is there a way to prevent this, (i.e., have osCommer propogate that information down to PayPal)?.

2) Also, the first PayPal screen gives the user the option to chose wether they have a PayPal account. Is there anyway that I can direct buyers right to the credit card information? My target audience will have no reason for a PayPal account and may get confused.

Hope you can help out! Thanks!

Remove the code below from every root level file:

<!-- footer //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>
<!-- footer_eof //-->

Vger

I too have the same questions. Also in addition to that, is there a way how i can get rid of the osCommerce footer?

• 1 month later...
Remove the code below from every root level file:

<!-- footer //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>
<!-- footer_eof //-->

Vger

It would be much easier to edit the string FOOTER_TEXT_BODY in catalog/includes/languages/<language>.php to remove the text, assuming that you are using osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2 Update 051113.

--Glen

Edited by SteveDallas

It would be much easier to edit the string FOOTER_TEXT_BODY in catalog/includes/languages/<language>.php to remove the text, assuming that you are using osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2 Update 051113.

--Glen

Or inlude the new footer in the existing footer.php page

1. The Shipping Address should be passed by osCommerce to Pay Pal. If it's not happening then there's a problem with either your osCommerce install, or else in your Pay Pal account settings.

2. This is the Pay Pal landing page and there's nothing you can do about it.

Vger

Hi I'm having the same problem as well.

I'm using the standard paypal module that was included in the distribution. had a look at the code and cant see where it is passing the address through:

$process_button_string = tep_draw_hidden_field('cmd', '_xclick') .

tep_draw_hidden_field('business', MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ID) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('item_name', STORE_NAME) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('amount', number_format(($order->info['total'] - $order->info['shipping_cost']) * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('shipping', number_format($order->info['shipping_cost'] * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('currency_code', $my_currency) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS, '', 'SSL')) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('cancel_return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, '', 'SSL'));

is there a better paypal module to use - there seems to be a lot of talk about IPN modules and loads of different versions. would you recoment using something like 'osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2'? the only other module I'm looking to use is QTPro.v4.25_Full.zip

any help / advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

Hi I'm having the same problem as well.

I'm using the standard paypal module that was included in the distribution. had a look at the code and cant see where it is passing the address through:

is there a better paypal module to use - there seems to be a lot of talk about IPN modules and loads of different versions. would you recoment using something like 'osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2'? the only other module I'm looking to use is QTPro.v4.25_Full.zip

any help / advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

shipping address not being sent to pay pal either

Edited by artpics

shipping address not being sent to pay pal either

Hi, I too am expeirancing the shipping probs with paypal! Any one got any suggestions??????

J

Hi, I too am expeirancing the shipping probs with paypal! Any one got any suggestions??????

J

There are many PayPal contributions. You need to be specific.

Hi after some playing I think I have tha answer.

in the module that calls paypal ( includes/modules/payment/paypal.php for default paypal)

you will find some code that looks like this:

tep_draw_hidden_field('no_shipping', 1) .
						   tep_draw_hidden_field('no_note', 1) .

I added in some exta lines:

tep_draw_hidden_field('no_shipping', 1) .
						   tep_draw_hidden_field('no_note', 1) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('first_name', $order->billing['firstname']) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('last_name', $order->billing['lastname']) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('address1', $order->billing['street_address']) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('address2', $order->billing['suburb']) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('city', $order->billing['city']) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('state', $order->billing['state']) .
						  tep_draw_hidden_field('zip', $order->billing['postcode']) .

and that seems to have sorted it!

It worked in the default paypal module and looks like it will work with just about any paypal bits

Thanks

I too have the same questions. Also in addition to that, is there a way how i can get rid of the osCommerce footer?

Hi The problem that you two are having is that your orders have exceeded or aren't of a value so that Paypal will process. Paypal usually processes only as member to member. I want to point out an example of this is with the Intuit processing or quickbooks processing. Now if you are a retail store , you have to enter all of this data and information and by that time you lose the attention of your customer. So it is with Pay pal if the transaction isn't by a member to member process then it kicks it out.

Paypal is poor at best , probably the highest rates , slowest deposit times and customer serivce which is quite

caspar like. It's invisible , email us at balh blah blah blah. Guess who owns Ebay ? Paypal or maybe I have that backwards and this is all provided at 2.9% and 40 cts a transaction ? Not even close to the market value of 2.6% and 30 cts . :)

Hi The problem that you two are having is that your orders have exceeded or aren't of a value so that Paypal will process. Paypal usually processes only as member to member. I want to point out an example of this is with the Intuit processing or quickbooks processing. Now if you are a retail store , you have to enter all of this data and information and by that time you lose the attention of your customer. So it is with Pay pal if the transaction isn't by a member to member process then it kicks it out.

Paypal is poor at best , probably the highest rates , slowest deposit times and customer serivce which is quite

caspar like. It's invisible , email us at balh blah blah blah. Guess who owns Ebay ? Paypal or maybe I have that backwards and this is all provided at 2.9% and 40 cts a transaction ? Not even close to the market value of 2.6% and 30 cts . :)

I hate for my first post here to seem argumentative in any way, so please don't take this wrong, but I would just like to add my thoughts to the above comments:

Your assertion that PayPal charges 2.9% plus 40 cents per transaction is incorrect. It is actually 2.9% plus 30 cents for the transaction, making the difference in your example about .3% - not 10 cents plus .3%.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...ay-fees-outside

On top of that, I'm not paying any hidden fees, application fees, or monthly bogus fees with PayPal. These factors alone made my decision to switch from a traditional merchant account an easy one (I had a Visa/Mastercard merch account through a national bank before I switched to PayPal. It cost me a $200 application fee plus $50 a month just to have the merchant account whether I made a sale or not. I'll take the .3% hit per transaction instead, thank you.)

I'd also like to add that I've been using PayPal as my main merchant processor for over 5 years now and my experience with them has been excellent (outside of the downtime that they experienced during a week back in 2004). I process about 200 - 300 transactions per month through PayPal. I've never had an issue with slow deposits when I withdraw funds, which I do at least twice per month and the money is in my account within 3 to 4 days (usually 3). I've also had decent experience with the customer phone support (they're toll-free phone number is available when you log into your account and navigate the help section), which I've called about 15 to 20 times over the past 3 years and only once had a hold time longer than 3 or 4 minutes. Not to mention the fact that they are available by phone 7 days a week to merchants, most days very long convenient hours too.

On the flipside, I've tried / looked into several other similar services over the past year (to offer an alternative payment option to customers who have been scared off from PayPal by someone) and my experience with the most popular 3 were like this:

- One had horrific customer support and dispute handling practices

- One had way too many hoops to jump through to get your funds

- Two of them were very expensive in comparison to PayPal (and one had a big initial fee)

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, dmann, and this post is not intended as an attack on you in any way shape or form. It's just that I've been processing multiple transactions with PayPal *every day* for my web hosting / design business for the past 5 years, and I have to say that they have been an asset to my business as well as a good experience for me. I will not go as far as to say they are perfect - haven't found a processor who is yet - but after over 10 years of doing business online and the past 5 using PayPal, I'm quite pleased with the results.

Now on to the reason I've arrived here to begin with....

1) Even though the customer has already expressed his or her shipping address within osCommerce, when checking out, PayPal asks for "Shipping Information" again.

I am fairly new to OSC as well (meaning I've installed it for several hosting customers, but have never really used it myself or dug deep into the config.

I'm currently setting up an OSC cart for a customer who is having me delve into the actual config and workings of the cart itself, and I'm experiencing the same issue as nicksmarto is quoted above.

I started off with just the "built in" PayPal module, and when that did not carry the customers shipping info over to PayPal I decided to install the IPN 1.1 contribution. Still no luck even on transactions processed through the IPN - the customer still has to re-enter their shipping information over at PayPal during the last step of the order.

I was very careful to follow the instructions for the IPN contribution explicitly, and IPN is definitely enabled within the PayPal account (as evidenced by the fact that the orders "stick" within the OSC admin panel Orders section even when the customer does not complete the transaction, which will be the topic of my third post on this forum).

I thought I saw a ray of hope when iwanttogoas posted his fix above, but since he's using the "built in" PayPal module and not IPN, and the code looks a bit different in the IPN, I'm too cautious to mess with that.

Anyone with more ideas on what may help carry the shipping info over?

Thanks

1) Even though the customer has already expressed his or her shipping address within osCommerce, when checking out, PayPal asks for "Shipping Information" again. Is there a way to prevent this, (i.e., have osCommer propogate that information down to PayPal)?

Just wanted to return and update in regard to that issue that nicksmarto originally posted and that I was having too:

Thanks to Coopco for pointing me in the right direction and suggesting this contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1753/

(the file attached to the "file/folder mistaken" entry)

As it turns out, I had initally installed a different IPN contribution to begin with. So, I downloaded the one Coopco recommended, un-installed the original contribution, then installed the new one (much lengthier process, was slightly intimidating at first, but not so bad) and have had great results so far with my tests! The cart now carriers the customer's shipping info over to the PayPal cart :D

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I saw a ray of hope when iwanttogoas posted his fix above, but since he's using the "built in" PayPal module and not IPN, and the code looks a bit different in the IPN, I'm too cautious to mess with that.

Anyone with more ideas on what may help carry the shipping info over?

Thanks

Hi sorry shop has gone live so I've been busy with that - I'm not using the built in paypal - it tended to loose orders.

if you use the ipn module you can find some code that looks like this:

$parameters['custom'] = $customer_id;
  $parameters['no_shipping'] = '1';

its in the function process_button

in there you will need to change no_shipping to '0'

$parameters['custom'] = $customer_id;
  $parameters['no_shipping'] = '0';

and then you should be able to add in the other bits

$parameters['first_name'] = $order->billing['firstname'];
$parameters['last_name'] = $order->billing['lastname'];
$parameters['zip'] = $order->billing['postcode'];

Hope that helps