• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can a customer "save" credit card info in "their account"

Maybe I am too new at this so forgive me, but is there a way for a customer to "save" or "edit" their credit card information in their "account" on our website? IS that maybe too unsafe? The reason I ask; sometimes a customer types their number incorrectly, and then we have to email them or call and we always wonder if (like on amazon.com) there was a way for them to just go in and change it on our website in their "account info". I searched and maybe I am just searching on the wrong terms because I cannot find anything about this. I cant find any contribution but maybe its too unsafe? we do have ssl and everything working on our site...

thanks!!

Actually I guess what i mean is, i know the card number shouldn't "sit there" in their account but is there a way for them to maybe pick "This card ending in XXXX" or "enter new card" and enter a new one if they typed it wrong. thanks

For one of my clients I wrote a modfication that, after a successful checkout, will encrypt and store the customer's card number for future checkouts. On the next checkout, the customer has a choice of entering a new card number or selecting "Use this card: XXXXXXXXXXXX1234" where it will then checkout using the customer's stored number. It was fairly simple, requiring a new payment module for submitting the stored numbers through the store's default CC module and a modification to checkout_process.php

But, remember that you are assuming huge liabilities by doing this. If your server gets hacked and they get those numbers, you're screwed. Only if you're going to invest in the security measures necessary to keep that server safe, don't bother with it.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Thank you so much for your response! Ok but , is there anyway that I can make a page where a customer can RE ENTER the card if they typed it wrong? For example, Can i say "please resubmit your card number here" and give a link or something that lets them retype their card number. (Like an "edit payment" or "update payment" screen), where the number doesnt actually SIT on the site, but they can type it as if they are going through the checkout process again. What happened was, chain reaction moved us to a new server on friday, i was told we would not lose any orders while they moved us to the faster server; yet on monday we came in and no cc middle digits came through for any orders, theni realized when they moved us, the config file paths were wrong for the "email invoice" folder, so we did not get the middle parts for any card numbers. And you know what a pain it is to call all the customers, either they are not home, don't get the message, its just a pain lol.

• 1 month later...
For one of my clients I wrote a modfication that, after a successful checkout, will encrypt and store the customer's card number for future checkouts. On the next checkout, the customer has a choice of entering a new card number or selecting "Use this card: XXXXXXXXXXXX1234" where it will then checkout using the customer's stored number. It was fairly simple, requiring a new payment module for submitting the stored numbers through the store's default CC module and a modification to checkout_process.php

But, remember that you are assuming huge liabilities by doing this. If your server gets hacked and they get those numbers, you're screwed. Only if you're going to invest in the security measures necessary to keep that server safe, don't bother with it.

do you think you could share that mod you did?

I'd be quite interested in that mod as well -

My Contributions

Henry Smith