• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Specials_Module

surfalot

I keep trying to tell you what to look for, but it's just not happening.

I must not be explaining myself clearly.

I am using design pack contrib. It takes the variety of info boxes and defines styles, text color, etc. via css. There is also a default css for info boxes.

Here is my problem. I do not want the specials box in the main section to be the defaulted style. And because it is a contrib, design pack does not have a style for it.

So, I want to create my own style and then assign that class to the box. Per comments on a previous post, I obviously am defining the box incorrectly. Can you please tell me where/how I would insert the styleclass for the specials box?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to modify the styles of the box this contrib uses, you must modify the box classes in /catalog/includes/classes/boxes.php. if you look at the one and only file in this contrib you will see it uses the infoBoxHeading and contentBox classes.

there is no way to specify a style for this contrib only, since it uses the above mensioned classes to generate the boxes it displays.

that is why I am trying to get you to look at your web page's source, determine what style is being used and modify that one. else, I have no other suggestions for you.

there is no way to specify a style for this contrib only, since it uses the above mensioned classes to generate the boxes it displays.

Why can't I make this contrib use a different class to generate a box by editing the code. So, instead of it using infoBoxHeading it uses SpecialsBox (a class I have defined in my boxes.php and sytlesheet.css).

Where/how would I edit the code in the Specials Module script?

that is why I am trying to get you to look at your web page's source, determine what style is being used and modify that one. else, I have no other suggestions for you.

Again, I don't want to modify my infoBoxHeading class definitions because it is applicable to several other boxes.

It makes more sense to edit what class Specials Module is using.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is pretty weak but I thought I'd give it a shot:

On my specials module I have this showing in the store pages "TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS" instead of "New Products/Specials".

Where do I change it? I have it right in the english.php, so anywhere else to look?

// BOF: Product Specials Module v1.0

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS', 'New Products/Specials');

// EOF: Product Specials Module v1.0

TBS

Love this contrib. But I must have done something wrong and cant find the error.

Seems to work fine except for:

1- There is no Specials Box on home page

2- There are 2 specials box on the category page

Any ideas what may have gone wrong?

I have a couple of mods installed, "sort order", "center store"

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Jeff

Love this contrib. But I must have done something wrong and cant find the error.

Seems to work fine except for:

1- There is no Specials Box on home page

2- There are 2 specials box on the category page

Any ideas what may have gone wrong?

I have a couple of mods installed, "sort order", "center store"

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Jeff

I did find that if I turn Show Specials on Categories Page to False I get just 1 special box on the Categories page and the other pages seem to work well.

But there is still no specials box on the home/main page. Ideas?

Thanks again,

Jeff

I did find that if I turn Show Specials on Categories Page to False I get just 1 special box on the Categories page and the other pages seem to work well.

But there is still no specials box in the center of the home/main page. Ideas? I dont know if this makes a differance, the small special box in the colum is still there.

Thanks again,

Jeff

This is pretty weak but I thought I'd give it a shot:

On my specials module I have this showing in the store pages "TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS" instead of "New Products/Specials".

Where do I change it? I have it right in the english.php, so anywhere else to look?

// BOF: Product Specials Module v1.0

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCT_SPECIALS', 'New Products/Specials');

// EOF: Product Specials Module v1.0

TBS

don't know what to tell you. the instructions say to put that definition in catalog/includes/languages/english.php.

should allow it to display correctly.

But there is still no specials box on the home/main page. Ideas?

Thanks again,

Jeff

that should tell you that you have one of them inserted in the wrong spot. recheck your inserted code. something that helps me find the right locations is to add some text, say XYXYX into the index.php page where you think it should be, the load the page and look for it. if it not in the right place, move it up or down until you find the right location. remember when navigating through the osC table structure that you always inset the test text within the TD tags and not just randomly anywhere. otherwise the test text will be shown incorrectly when viewing the page. hope that helps

that should tell you that you have one of them inserted in the wrong spot. recheck your inserted code. something that helps me find the right locations is to add some text, say XYXYX into the index.php page where you think it should be, the load the page and look for it. if it not in the right place, move it up or down until you find the right location. remember when navigating through the osC table structure that you always inset the test text within the TD tags and not just randomly anywhere. otherwise the test text will be shown incorrectly when viewing the page. hope that helps

:thumbsup: Thank you, surfalot. Your help with adding text, brought to lite my error immeaditly. I misplaced the second insert. I can tell you, I looked, cried, shouted with no success, but like always, it seems a second set of eyes prove to be a invalueable tool. Thanks again for taking the time to assist me..Jeff :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Help !!!! have been searching now for over 5 hours

how do i add product description to the product_specials page?

i have tried cutting from other contribs and am going mad! have managed to split into 2 rows but thats it

ideally i'd like them to look like the boxes here - http://www.oscommerce-demo.com/demo01/ (between the star product and last news.) i have thestd v.10e specials contrib but it has no descriptions.

i just need to know how to either add the decription only or edit/upgrade specials v1.0e to allow for description and individual boxes.

many thanks in advance

LOVING YOUR WORK!

YT_Boy

there are 10 types of people who understand binary

those that do, and those that don't

Help !!!! have been searching now for over 5 hours

how do i add product description to the product_specials page?

i have tried cutting from other contribs and am going mad! have managed to split into 2 rows but thats it

ideally i'd like them to look like the boxes here - http://www.oscommerce-demo.com/demo01/ (between the star product and last news.) i have thestd v.10e specials contrib but it has no descriptions.

i just need to know how to either add the decription only or edit/upgrade specials v1.0e to allow for description and individual boxes.

many thanks in advance

LOVING YOUR WORK!

YT_Boy

what you're seeing on that site is something like my Open Featured Sets contribution. Much more latitude with that contirbution, but a bit harder to modify.

if all you want is to add some of the description, you need to pull-in the data first by modifying the sql.

after pd.products_name (on 3 lines), you want to add pd.products_description.

then you can add $product_specials['products_description'] to the output where you need it.

hope that helps.

what you're seeing on that site is something like my Open Featured Sets contribution. Much more latitude with that contirbution, but a bit harder to modify.

if all you want is to add some of the description, you need to pull-in the data first by modifying the sql.

after pd.products_name (on 3 lines), you want to add pd.products_description.

then you can add $product_specials['products_description'] to the output where you need it.

hope that helps.

Like a charm, thank you

headache now gone!

regards

YT

there are 10 types of people who understand binary

those that do, and those that don't

• 6 months later...
Well .. I don't know how, but my problem solved itself by executing the request again and again and again :)

Now everything works fine. Surfalot, I've got only two words to say : YOU ROCK !

hi, i got the same SQl error message, and like you I tried to execute the request again and again (more than 5 times) but I still get the same error message.

Here's the error message again:

INSERT INTO `configuration_group`

VALUES ( 6123, 'Specials Module', 'Product Specials Module Options', 50, 1 ) ;

MySQL said:

#1062 - Duplicate entry '6123' for key 1

Another thing is that on my admin-configuration-Specials Module, the Table is totally blank.

What can I do now? Please advise...

Thanks.

hi, i got the same SQl error message, and like you I tried to execute the request again and again (more than 5 times) but I still get the same error message.

Here's the error message again:

INSERT INTO `configuration_group`

VALUES ( 6123, 'Specials Module', 'Product Specials Module Options', 50, 1 ) ;

MySQL said:

#1062 - Duplicate entry '6123' for key 1

Another thing is that on my admin-configuration-Specials Module, the Table is totally blank.

What can I do now? Please advise...

Thanks.

try removing the first line in the script, run the rest in phpMyAdmin.

try removing the first line in the script, run the rest in phpMyAdmin.

Hi,

after omitting the first line and further amending the rest of the code (as shown below), i finally managed to get it executed with success.

thanks everyone! :) :)

QUOTE(Jan Zonjee @ Mar 17 2008, 10:04 PM)

Try changing the "" for the id to NULL:

CODE

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Limit the Scope of Specials Shown', 'LIMIT_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_SCOPE', 'true', 'Show only Product Specials that are under the current category level.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Show Specials on Catalog Page', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_CATALOG', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Main Catalog Page', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Show Specials on Categories Page', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_CATEGORIES', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Categories Page. Shown only on pages without a products list also.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Show Specials on Products Info Page', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_PRODUCTS', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Products Info pages.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Show Specials on Products List Pages', 'SHOW_PRODUCT_SPECIALS_ON_PRODUCTS_LIST', 'true', 'Show Product Specials at the bottom of the Products List pages. This is best suited for column/row product list pages.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(''true'', ''false''),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Product Specials Columns', 'PRODUCT_SPECIALS_DISPLAY_COLUMNS', '3', 'Number of columns to display product specials.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES (NULL, 'Max Product Specials', 'MAX_DISPLAY_PRODUCT_SPECIALS', '3', 'Maximum number of product specials to display in a category.', 6123, NULL, now(), now(), NULL, NULL);

• 4 weeks later...

Removal of Specials Module.

run this in your SQL tool supplied by your host (such as phpMyAdmin):

DELETE FROM `configuration` WHERE `configuration_group_id` = 6123;
DELETE FROM `configuration_group` WHERE `configuration_group_id` = 6123 LIMIT 1;

Then search for these tags in your product_info.php and index.php files in the root of the shop. Delete then and all code in between:

Begin: Product Specials

End: Product Specials

see the install.txt file for the exact code added.

Delete the file /catalog/includes/modules/product_specials.php

• 11 months later...

Great module, thank you!

Here's my story for a bit of a chuckle/light comedy relief...

I had a little bit of trouble with it at first, trying to work out what "run sql" meant (duh - the extra file "product_specials.txt" that was in the download - that's a hint for other dummies like me). I finally worked that out, but for some reason I had two databases in myphpAdmin (perhaps one is a backup or something of the sort that my host provider has done) and so I ran it first on one, no result whatsoever, then on the other, and I got a duplicate result lol. That is, the specials box showed up on EVERY page TWICE ?!? well, every page EXCEPT the front page, which had nothing. Anyway, after scratching my head for a bit, I ran the code in Post #15 on both databases, then I re-uploaded my backed up "catalog/index.php" file and did that step a second time and voila, all perfect.

Thank you so much Surfalot for a great mod!!!

Edited by wuiske

Ooh, just one thing I noticed and can't remember how to fix up...

How do I get the rounded corner for the new specials box?

i.e. using image corner_left.gif instead of the current corner_right_left.gif ?

Thanks.

this line in the module is what you are looking for.

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents,false,false, tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS));

The false,false part is what tells the infobox class whether to display the rounded corners.

a true,true will show the rounded corners. hope that helps. :)