• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who responsible for lost package?

kenle

Hi all,

I have a customer that I sent to him the package via USPS Priority mail. I have the delivery confirmation. That delivery confirmation show that the package is delivered. The USPS said they drop in front of his door. He's away at that time so when he comes home, he couldn't receive the package for some reason.

So in this case, as a vendor, should I be responsible for that? I dont' think I do, but just want to check you guys opinions.

Thanks

Hi

I work for fedex and we have two ways of doing it, 1 if the customers has an arrangement for packages to be left outside then its down to the customer, 2 if no one has permission to leave the package anywhere then its down to fedex for leaving outside.

I know USPS and fedex could have different rules but my guess would be they would be the same for this one.

Kind regards

It depends on what you and the customer agreed to, if anything. Did you offer insurance? Did they reject insurance. Did you insure? If not, I would say the owness is on you. I would call the local post office and see if they know where the package is or what became of it.

Always insure and charge the extra money to customer.

Good luck, Barbara

Hi all,

I have a customer that I sent to him the package via USPS Priority mail. I have the delivery confirmation. That delivery confirmation show that the package is delivered. The USPS said they drop in front of his door. He's away at that time so when he comes home, he couldn't receive the package for some reason.

So in this case, as a vendor, should I be responsible for that? I dont' think I do, but just want to check you guys opinions.

Thanks

I concur with Barabara on insuring packages. Whether you pay for their insurance or just set aside the insurance fees to create a self insurance fund is up to you.

As for what to do with this customer, I faced this exact situation a couple years ago. I took care of the customer. Since then they have placed several more orders and referred a couple of their friends. Good customer service that goes above and beyond what is required almost always pays off several times over.

From another angle, if the customer paid using a credit card and from their point of view never received the order, they will probably file for a chargeback with their card bank. A USPS Delivery Confirmation is not a signature proof of delivery. The charge back will likely stand and you will be out the order total plus the chargeback fee.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Isn't a package sent via USPS automatically insured for $100.00 ??? I have had some lost packages and USPS and CP have always paid for them. Additonally, if the USPS or CP forget to scan the package, you can always tell them the package got lost and they pay for it :D This is how we react to the often lousy services USPS and CP offer.

HIM - Dark Light - Out on 26/09/05

Isn't a package sent via USPS automatically insured for $100.00 ??? I have had some lost packages and USPS and CP have always paid for them. Additonally, if the USPS or CP forget to scan the package, you can always tell them the package got lost and they pay for it :D This is how we react to the often lousy services USPS and CP offer.

I'm not so sure how it works in conjuction with Canada Post, but for USPS domestic shipments, only Express Mail carries automatic insurance coverage. For any other service levels, you have to buy the insurance add on.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Hi all,

Thanks

Delivery confirmation is not really worth anything, always go with the signature confirmation so you have something proving delivery. I have seen quite a few times where the PO says something was delivered and the person on the receiving end did not get the package. For this reason you will lose out on a chargeback if the customer files one. Always get a signature and if what you are sending is worth more than a few bucks insure it, just make sure you are charging enough on your shipping to cover this.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

kitchenniche, how do you get canada post to pay for lost packages??? they always give me this "you must wait 60 business days from the date of dispatch before filing a claim"

by then, the customer has already done a chargeback or i sent a replacement!!

AND canada post sends a letter to the customer asking them if they ever got the shipment. if they already have a new item or their money back, they never bother filling this form out and thus i'm out the money, shipping cost and a customer.

Additonally, if the USPS or CP forget to scan the package, you can always tell them the package got lost and they pay for it biggrin.gif This is how we react to the often lousy services USPS and CP offer.

Defrauding the USPS is probably the worst advice I have ever read on this board- the Post Office is a federal agency complete with their own investigation team of real federal cops. Man that's dumb.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• 2 months later...
Delivery confirmation is not really worth anything, always go with the signature confirmation so you have something proving delivery. I have seen quite a few times where the PO says something was delivered and the person on the receiving end did not get the package. For this reason you will lose out on a chargeback if the customer files one. Always get a signature and if what you are sending is worth more than a few bucks insure it, just make sure you are charging enough on your shipping to cover this.

In my industry, we deal with a lot of chargeback investigations.

USPS Delivery Confirmation is acceptable evidence for proof of delivery by Paypal, GlobalPay, NPC, and many other credit card processors if shipped to the credit card holder's billing address. However, if the customer initiates a chargeback because he claims an item was missing from the package, no amount of tracking or signature confirmation is going to help resolve that.

If your customer claims he did not recieve the package and your USPS tracking number confirms delivery, you will usually win the chargeback case.

That being said, offering and insisting on signature confirmation and insurence might be a good business practice and increase customer satisfaction.

David

Las Vegas, USA

• 2 weeks later...
kitchenniche, how do you get canada post to pay for lost packages??? they always give me this "you must wait 60 business days from the date of dispatch before filing a claim"

AND canada post sends a letter to the customer asking them if they ever got the shipment. if they already have a new item or their money back, they never bother filling this form out and thus i'm out the money, shipping cost and a customer.

I sent a package Canada Post to USPS in December (destination Missouri) and the package was lost by USPS. I eventually received a cheque. There was a waiting period, and they remimbursed for the postage and the lost items. There were no hassles. Once THEY agreed that the package was lost, I had a cheque within a week or so. I would guess that the process was about 2 months from when I sent the package.

how do you guys have such luck with postal reimbursements??? i've had an expedited package sent to the usa in FEBRUARY, still undelivered and canada post won't respond to my complaints!

Hi all,

Thanks

I was under the impression that USPS had to place mail in the mail receptacle or in the persons hand. Large packages stay at the post office and you get a ticket telling you to come in and pick it up. If they left it on the porch, they must have had permission from the homeowner. Then that is customers fault.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be fashionably late on this thread, but ya'll forgot the simplest measure of self-protection: a disclaimer. Particularly when shipping international orders you should put a disclaimer saying that they agree to take responsibility for teriffs, legal issues such as border seizure &c. You should add a checkbox within an inch of the credit-card number part of your payment form stating the standard "I have read all the terms of shipping <link> and I accept whatever risks and agree to release CompanyX of all liability if I ask them to ship something" - I say within an inch because that's what one of our Portals told us on our other site (it's also easily enough done).

That being said, once you cover yourself there's no harm in being generous. Customers that feel you aren't accountable to them or are trying to weasel your way out are less apt to trust you or have a friendly relationship with you. In regards to chargebacks I'd make sure that your company already has a pre-made template of the standard form your portal uses as they tend to come in handy. I'm divided on the subject, but a company may also elect to invoke its right to refuse service upon people having filed a chargeback.

:: GPG Available on request ::

"Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." - Kahlil Gibran

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

Thanks

We had the same (and various other!) problems with USPS recently. They were great for 3 years, then BOOM several missing packages in the same month. Including a packet of paperwork that took 15 days to travel about 25 miles.

Our company chose to take care of the client, and replace 2 packages that were stolen. USPS SHOULD HAVE left a notice to pick up the packages at the local PO; instead the carrier randomly decided to leave them on the door step.

We got reamed for the cost of replacement, even though we were not legally required to send new stuff (delivery confirmation showed the date and time of delivery) but the clients were happy.

Is it worth it? It depends on how much you want repeat business. You will get taken advantage of occassionally, but you have to make a very conscious decision to always put the client's satisfaction first. For the most part a happy, repeat clientele will outweigh the cost of the odd jerk.

Be SURE to file a complaint with your local PO, and the local PO of the delivery zip code. If there has been a pattern of this kind of thing you help build a case. You can usually file a complaint at usps.com if you have the label and/or tracking number, and ask to be contacted by phone.

Hope this helps a little.

• 1 month later...

If the usps delivery guy sees that there is no one at home, they take the package back and leave a note at the door so the customer can claim his package from the usps store or it will be sent back to the shipper within a limited time.

this is what happens here with me in california.

I've had somebody with a UPS tracking number / delivery confirmation try to claim they never received the package (the tracking # states it was left at the customer's rear door). They repeatidly threatened a chargeback for nearly 2 months after the fact, which they never put through. (Going on nearly a year later and I've never been stiffed with it yet. It was quite a large purchase, so I have to believe if them not receiving the goods was true, they'd of pursued other avenues after getting nowhere with me)

A lot of the "I didn't get it" is BS on the buyer part, trying to bully the vendor into giving them freebies, discounts and overall bum massages that are entirely unnecessary.

In the end, it comes down to the customer attitude. I find more understanding they are, the less likely they are to be lying or looking for handouts. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule too.

• 1 month later...

Hi I am writing to ask if anyone else has some problems with kitchenniche not being delivered....I am very frustrated as I ordered this as a gift for a friend...the order was placed on August 04, 2007 and said it was delivered on August 16th which it never was...i have emailed the company 3 times..and phoned the 1888 number 5 times but still no response from the company...would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has to offer and was wondering if anyone else is experienceing the same problem....thank you ...

Kelly1122

I've had somebody with a UPS tracking number / delivery confirmation try to claim they never received the package (the tracking # states it was left at the customer's rear door). They repeatidly threatened a chargeback for nearly 2 months after the fact, which they never put through. (Going on nearly a year later and I've never been stiffed with it yet. It was quite a large purchase, so I have to believe if them not receiving the goods was true, they'd of pursued other avenues after getting nowhere with me)

A lot of the "I didn't get it" is BS on the buyer part, trying to bully the vendor into giving them freebies, discounts and overall bum massages that are entirely unnecessary.

In the end, it comes down to the customer attitude. I find more understanding they are, the less likely they are to be lying or looking for handouts. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule too.

If you have the tracking number for that package and UPS states that they have delivered it, then the only thing left is to file a claim with UPS. You can call the 1800 PICKUPS and file a claim. Make sure that when you track this package that it has the delivered date from the tracking page. Usually the UPS driver will leave the package if it is small enough and hide it from being viewable from the street. If it is to big, then they will take it back unless specified by the person shipping or the customer to leave at the door. The package will only be reimbursed with the insurance value that was claimed. Automatically insured for $100. Come to think about it, the package was delivered and not lost, stolen or damaged. So, I don't know if there really it a claim. You as a vendor have done what you promised, I would think that you would not be held liable.

Do or Do Not, there is no try.

Defrauding the USPS is probably the worst advice I have ever read on this board- the Post Office is a federal agency complete with their own investigation team of real federal cops. Man that's dumb.

What I actually meant is that if a package didn't get scanned at the time of the delivery, you can file for late delivery so they pay you the postage you paid. This is not fraud, I'm paying for a service I don't receive so I should be getting my money back, don't you think?

If you send stuff with Small Packet Surface or Air, you must always wait 60-90 days until they agree that the package is lost. It doesn't really matter whether you have sent a replacement already because the customer knows that the first shipment got lost (hopefully). I never had any problems when something got lost.

• 2 months later...

The way you would determine who is responsible for a lost package would be determined between you and the customer. The United States Postal Service offers Insurance for lost, stolen, or damaged items. If you don't Insure the package then they United States Postal Service is not responsible.

Delivery Confirmation, confirms the delivery. Signature Confirmation confirms the delivery with a signature.

The only service that is guaranteed is Express Mail. Priority, First Class, and Parcel Post all have estimated delivery times.

I hope this helps, and I hope you can work it out with your customers.

• 4 months later...
Sorry to be fashionably late on this thread, but ya'll forgot the simplest measure of self-protection: a disclaimer. Particularly when shipping international orders you should put a disclaimer saying that they agree to take responsibility for teriffs, legal issues such as border seizure &c.

Any disclaimer about lost or stolen shipments runs contrary to your contract with most processors like Paypal and 2Checkout. As the merchant, you claim responsibility to ensure the order arrives at your customer's address, and a signature is a required proff. Delivery confirmation without it doesn't mean a thing.

The way you would determine who is responsible for a lost package would be determined between you and the customer. The United States Postal Service offers Insurance for lost, stolen, or damaged items. If you don't Insure the package then they United States Postal Service is not responsible.

Delivery Confirmation, confirms the delivery. Signature Confirmation confirms the delivery with a signature.

The only service that is guaranteed is Express Mail. Priority, First Class, and Parcel Post all have estimated delivery times.

I hope this helps, and I hope you can work it out with your customers.

This is a interesting question I bet a lot of us don't think about. I think unless you have stated in your shipping "The only service that is guaranteed is Express Mail " or a option for Insurance , you really can't hold USPS liable .Unless you have it stated somewhere you really should offer the customer complete customer satisfaction. Read more

Archived