Sign in to follow this  
GMSJohn

UPS Address Validation Online Tool

I recently encountered what I believe to have been my first fraudulent order :x Luckily I hope to have corrected the situation, but I learned a valuable lesson in the process. The customer had entered an invalid shipping address. Everything must have matched for Authorize.net AVS to check (they only check the first 4 digits of the address, and the 5 zipcode digits), but when UPS attempted delivery, the address was bogus. Further research showed that the customer entered CA for the state, but the Zip was for Alabama! I now waste extra time and effort to manually verify addresses before shipping. Lesson Learned :blush: .

Now to the heart of my question, has anyone written or used the UPS Address Validation tool on their setup? You can find it at http://www.ups.com/e_comm_access/laServ?lo...AddrValidateXML. Here is a snip from their text:

Available for use in 47 origin countries, UPS U.S. Address Validation is a valuable addition to any business when shipping packages to the United States. For example, if your U.S. customer enters an incorrect postal code while placing their online order, this tool allows you to provide suggested alternatives. This XML tool also enables your customer service representatives to correct addresses when they are speaking with a customer, not afterward, when the error is discovered. These are just a couple ways you can use UPS U.S. Address Validation to provide better customer service and cut costs.

It would be nice to see this integrated into the checkout process to catch bad addresses. It should work no matter which shipper you use, the person's address is still the same.

I have some PHP skills, but absolutely no XML, let alone time to write this module. If there is anyone out there that has the skills to write this, I think it would be a tremendously valuable addition for the community! I would be glad to Beta test it for whoever can write it!

John