• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help to test the USPS Shipping module

According to the e-mail I got from the USPS after I signed up for my account:

Your Web Tools User ID to integrate USPS Web Tools is provided above. The User ID is used for testing your implementation of the API(s). With this ID, you may begin sending calls to the test server. The address to the test server is: testing.shippingapis.com and the path is /ShippingAPITest.dll. Use this information in combination with your User ID and your XML string to send a request to the USPS servers. For more details, refer to the programming guides (located at

www.usps.com/webtools) for the specific API you are integrating.

A sample test request would look like: "http://testing.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPITest.dll?API=[API_Name]&XML=

[xml_String_containing_User_ID]"

Now how do I get this to test so I can call the USPS and fet switched form test to production servers with them?

Thanks,

BrideFan

According to the e-mail I got from the USPS after I signed up for my account:

Now how do I get this to test so I can call the USPS and fet switched form test to production servers with them?

Thanks,

BrideFan

Just tell them that you are going through a third party and need to be switched over to the Production servers to test. That worked for me, they switched it within 24 hours.

Just tell them that you are going through a third party and need to be switched over to the Production servers to test. That worked for me, they switched it within 24 hours.

Thanks that helped. Now to figure out why the costs are off. I know what Priority should be since I've been selling a lot of stuff on EBay that way - for a single CD it should be $4.05 but OSCommerce is coming up with $5.60

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks that helped. Now to figure out why the costs are off. I know what Priority should be since I've been selling a lot of stuff on EBay that way - for a single CD it should be $4.05 but OSCommerce is coming up with $5.60

I'd check for a handling fee entered in the shipping module. Also the Taxable Goods listed in these (I beleive) applies to the shipping). Depending on your location the shipping may or may not be taxable - In Pennsylvania shipping is NOT taxed. Also the Shipping module for USPS expect pounds. I'm justy setting this up myself and I'm not sure if that simply means no oz.. so is 1.5 for 1 pound 8 oz the correct format, or must the weights be rounded?

My Contributions

Henry Smith

I'd check for a handling fee entered in the shipping module. Also the Taxable Goods listed in these (I beleive) applies to the shipping). Depending on your location the shipping may or may not be taxable - In Pennsylvania shipping is NOT taxed. Also the Shipping module for USPS expect pounds. I'm justy setting this up myself and I'm not sure if that simply means no oz.. so is 1.5 for 1 pound 8 oz the correct format, or must the weights be rounded?

Actually I started that question in another thread and then found the answer on my own in the Bug reports. The pesky little Tare Weight was set at 3 so it was adding 3 punds to my actual weight of product causing teh price jump.

OK...

Switched over to the production server

And tested somethings. You may also want to go to the Admin and under Configure >> Shipping/Packaging look to see if a Package Tare Weight is entered.

Also found that the oz work though are '.' ie 1 lb 11oz would be around 1.7 lbs.

Works like a charm.

This feature alone was one of my top 3 reasons to switch to OC.

My Contributions

Henry Smith

After installing this contribution the shipping module outputs the following during checkout:

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.
If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

The module asks for a USPS Password but the USPS specifically said that they are not using passwords anymore. I received this email from USPS Web Tools (minus the userID) when I applied for a new USPS Web Tools account:

Thank you for registering for the U. S. Postal Service?s Web Tools Application Program Interfaces (APIs). We are providing you with a User ID that serves multiple purposes, as explained below.

Your Web Tools User ID is: ************

The latest versions of the technical documentation, including the Administrative Guide, are available from USPS.com at: www.usps.com/webtools. They provide documentation and sample code for implementing our APIs. This documentation is in PDF and HTML format. In order to open and view this document in PDF you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your system. You may download this software, at no cost, from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The current documentation refers to a password. Please ignore all references to password in the documentation. Password is no longer used or required.

What should I put in the password field?

Do I have to move my account to the production server with USPS before this shipping module will work correctly? This post suggests that may be the case:

http://creloaded.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=23820.html

Thanks for your help!

Edited by gsbe

According to USPS, I have access to the production server, but I am still getting this error:

United States Postal Service

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

I have tried putting it in test mode as well and I still get this error...

I don't have a web tools password, as they do not assign one, so I am completely in the dark about how to fix this.

BTW: The info on OSC Bug Reports does not help this issue! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jpwebdesign

I got this contribution to work and it had everything to do with the USPS Webtools people, nothing to do with the code. After calling USPS Webtools twice I was able to get them to really move my account to the production server. As soon as this happened, the shipping module started to work. No changes were necessary on my end.

The reason that I posted a link to the bug reports page was that it provided more info about this issue. Specifically, I recall that the posts there are about having to move your account to the production server, not needing a password anymore (USPS doesn't issue one and you don't need one) and I think that there may have been an 800 number in there that I had not found elsewhere. This phone number that I used to reach the USPS folks and successfully have my account changed is 800-344-7779. Best of luck.

I had the same thing happen just recently. The usps module was always working fine -- never a problem. Sometime recently (not sure when, just discovered it today), it stopped working and I get the same error message (An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations. If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.).

Not sure what has happened. Any suggestions?

Call USPS Webtools folks and verify that you account is still on their production server.

Just checked. We are active on the production server and they show the requests on their log. owever, we get the error. We've changed nothing on our store (other than adding items, etc.). Always has worked. Now it doesn't. The UPS and FEDEX modules work fine. Just the USPS doesn't.