• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attempting to integrate PHPBB and STS

ripthesystem

I have OSC 2.2MS2 up and running fine using STS. So far everything is running fine and dandy. I would like to add a forum (PHPBB2) to my site and use the same username/pass/login that OSC does. I am not concerned about having PHPBB fully integrated as far as style and the store infoboxes goes. I would be satisfied with it being a separate entity and then I could just match the style through the PHPBB stylesheets and templates, but either way it works would be fine.

I have successfully installed this contribution:

PHPBB 2.0.8a implementation

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2116/

it was giving me multiple $template errors nonstop along the lines of:

Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in .....

I did a little research and learned that was because both STS and PHPBB use $template as a variable.

I changed all the PHPBB contribution files from "$template" to "$template_" and BINGO! all the errors went away and the Admin side of the forums works like a charm.

However when I try to view the forums:

http://www.sitename.com/modules.php?op=mod...&file=index.php

All I see is the header and footer. No side menus. No forum. No other content.

So I came up with the brilliant idea of creating an infobox for the forum, then adding the infobox to the sts_template.html

I added the following to the sts_display_output.php:

$sts_block_name = 'forum';
  require(STS_START_CAPTURE);
  require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'forum.php');
  require(STS_STOP_CAPTURE);
  $template['forum'] = strip_unwanted_tags($sts_block['forum'], 'forum');

Then added $forum after $content in the sts_template.html

This just gives me:

Warning: main(includes/boxes/forum.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pissthem/public_html/includes/sts_user_code.php on line 33
because there needs to be a "forum.php" in the /includes/boxes/ directory

Does anyone have any idea what should go in this file to get the forums to display in STS?

I'm guessing that this is where the problem lies. It could also be that it's because of the way that PHPBB is called with "modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=index.php" and I've never seen another OSC contribution called in this manner before. Is there a better way to call this? Am I totally off in my guessing?

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
it was giving me multiple $template errors nonstop along the lines of:

Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in .....

I did a little research and learned that was because both STS and PHPBB use $template as a variable.

I changed all the PHPBB contribution files from "$template" to "$template_" and BINGO! all the errors went away and the Admin side of the forums works like a charm.

However when I try to view the forums:

http://www.sitename.com/modules.php?op=mod...&file=index.php

All I see is the header and footer. No side menus. No forum. No other content.

Did you ever resolve this? Anyone? Have the same problem and tried the same solution ... same blank page

Kitty

Open Sky Web Design

Did you ever resolve this? Anyone? Have the same problem and tried the same solution ... same blank page

Kitty

Open Sky Web Design

Sorry to say I didn't resolve this.

In the end I couldn't figure out a way to get these 2 contributions to work together properly. On top of that the PHPBB version (2.08?) that this contrib uses is VERY out of date and definately not secure. Due to issues I was having with STS causing my site to be slow I removed STS and then installed the PHPBB contrib into my site. It was fairly easy and worked straightaway.

However since this contrib didn't use a pure release of PHPBB when I went to try to update it manually through the PHPBB releases to make it secure and uptodate I ran into error after error even without STS. I called that quits, uninstalled this contrib and just went with the latest PHPBB release and dual logins. It might be a little more effort for site visitors due to having 2 logins but lots of sites do this and in the end it's safer and easier than the alternative of being easily hacked out of the box which is what you're asking for if you use this contrib without bringing the forum up to date..

That's my advice anyways.

Sorry to say I didn't resolve this.

In the end I couldn't figure out a way to get these 2 contributions to work together properly. On top of that the PHPBB version (2.08?) that this contrib uses is VERY out of date and definately not secure. Due to issues I was having with STS causing my site to be slow I removed STS and then installed the PHPBB contrib into my site. It was fairly easy and worked straightaway.

However since this contrib didn't use a pure release of PHPBB when I went to try to update it manually through the PHPBB releases to make it secure and uptodate I ran into error after error even without STS. I called that quits, uninstalled this contrib and just went with the latest PHPBB release and dual logins. It might be a little more effort for site visitors due to having 2 logins but lots of sites do this and in the end it's safer and easier than the alternative of being easily hacked out of the box which is what you're asking for if you use this contrib without bringing the forum up to date..

That's my advice anyways.

Thanks, since this is a private dealer only area, I don't mind the old release. Your research enabled me to get it working.

Besides changing every $template to $templeBB in the contrib code, what I did was made a copy of includes/application_top.php called application_top_BB.php with the call to STS at the end removed and a copy of includes/header.php with its calls to STS removed. Then I used those files in place of the originals in modules.php. So far this seems to work ...

Kitty

http://OpenSkyWebDesign.com