• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Discount

boxtel

Hi,

In the instructions for Easy Discount you say that

You can now add a discount with its description anywhere.

(if used inside functions : do not forget to add $easy_discount to your global variable definitions)

where would I do this?

I tried to add to application_top.php

include(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'easy_discount.php');

$easy_discount = new easy_discount;

if (!tep_session_is_registered('easy_discount')) {

tep_session_register('easy_discount');

}

and I got a lot of fatal errors so I was wondering if I needed to add $easy_discount to global variable definitions. If so I don't know where.

Thanks

Neil

application_top.php code should be :

// include easy discount products class

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'easy_discount.php');

$easy_discount = new easy_discount();

}

ps. this makes it a session variable

Treasurer MFC

application_top.php code should be :

}

ps. this makes it a session variable

I put this in application top and I get the following errors

Warning: main(DIR_WS_CLASSESeasy_discount.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/application_top.php on line 15

Warning: main(DIR_WS_CLASSESeasy_discount.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/application_top.php on line 15

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'DIR_WS_CLASSESeasy_discount.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/application_top.php on line 15

I have installed easy discounts module in admin.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Neil

I put this in application top and I get the following errors

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'DIR_WS_CLASSESeasy_discount.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/application_top.php on line 15

I have installed easy discounts module in admin.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Neil

well, make sure you include the code in application_top.php at least AFTER :

// include server parameters

require('includes/configure.php');

Treasurer MFC

well, make sure you include the code in application_top.php at least AFTER :

// include server parameters

require('includes/configure.php');

Thanks again-getting closer now I get this

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_session_is_registered() in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/application_top.php on line 127

Regards

Neil

Thanks again-getting closer now I get this

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_session_is_registered() in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/application_top.php on line 127

Regards

Neil

to play it safe, put it after this code:

// include currencies class and create an instance

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'currencies.php');

$currencies = new currencies();

Treasurer MFC

to play it safe, put it after this code:

Great that worked!! Thanks.

So now I'm trying to add the shopping cart and box and I get the following error on the shopping cart

Fatal error: Unknown(): The script tried to execute a method or access a property of an incomplete object. Please ensure that the class definition easy_discount of the object you are trying to operate on was loaded _before_ the session was started in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/boxes/shopping_cart.php on line 67

Does this relate to having to have, as per the install instructions

"(if used inside functions : do not forget to add $easy_discount to your global variable definitions)"

or has it come about because I have not added any discounts in application_top.php?

Regards

Neil

Great that worked!! Thanks.

So now I'm trying to add the shopping cart and box and I get the following error on the shopping cart

Fatal error: Unknown(): The script tried to execute a method or access a property of an incomplete object. Please ensure that the class definition easy_discount of the object you are trying to operate on was loaded _before_ the session was started in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/boxes/shopping_cart.php on line 67

Does this relate to having to have, as per the install instructions

"(if used inside functions : do not forget to add $easy_discount to your global variable definitions)"

or has it come about because I have not added any discounts in application_top.php?

Regards

Neil

ah,

in application_top.php:

move only this code :

to just under this code :

// include shopping cart class

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'shopping_cart.php');

so that only the class definition is loaded before session start.

Treasurer MFC

Hi,

I have read this thread and although it's extremely helpful, I am confused. I simply want to add a box at checkout which reads something like "coupon code" and if they enter "secret" it gives them a 10% discount. Is there any easy way to do this? I have very little programming skills, so please give step-by-step instructions.

Thanks so much for the help!

Hello!

Hopefully someone can suggest an example of how I could make this work.

My client wants to have it set so that the first ITEM bought by any customer is FREE. So this would be based on them needing to be logged in to determine if that account had any previous orders.

If a customer shows up new and puts 4 things in their cart, then the first item should be free. (all items are the same price, so technically it's "one of the items" is free).

Is there a way to use Easy Discount to do this?? If not, anyone have a suggestion??

Thanks all!!!

Hi,

I have read this thread and although it's extremely helpful, I am confused. I simply want to add a box at checkout which reads something like "coupon code" and if they enter "secret" it gives them a 10% discount. Is there any easy way to do this? I have very little programming skills, so please give step-by-step instructions.

Thanks so much for the help!

Zalik,

This is where I am trying to get to. Amanda is being very patient and I think the tips I am getting are very good from a setting up easy discount perspective. Once I have it running well I will attempt what you need and I'm sure others will help.

A little patience and I think we will get there.

Regards

Neil

ah,

in application_top.php:

move only this code :

to just under this code :

so that only the class definition is loaded before session start.

OK now a different error when I go into the shopping cart I get

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare easy_discount_display() (previously declared in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/functions/easy_discount.php:3) in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/functions/easy_discount.php on line 2

(I see now where the global definition is of $easy_discount)

OK now a different error when I go into the shopping cart I get

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare easy_discount_display() (previously declared in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/functions/easy_discount.php:3) in /home/caterpillar/www/www/includes/functions/easy_discount.php on line 2

(I see now where the global definition is of $easy_discount)

are you also displaying the small shopping_cart box on the shopping cart page ?

(I wouldn't as that is double information)

if so, change the code in the page shopping_cart.php and the infobox shopping_cart.php

include (DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS.'easy_discount.php');

to:

include_once (DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS.'easy_discount.php');

Treasurer MFC

With easy discount you only need 1 discount module while you determine the conditions on the fly like :

2) if (1st time customer ) $easy_discount->add('1STCUST', 'Welcom Discount', 500);

and they are all processed via the single checkout easy discount module.

Hi Boxtel,

Thanks for making such a great contribution!! I am in need of some specific help though. I think what you describe would solve my problem. We want to give a $5 discount to ever customer's FIRST order only. So if they place an order and return another time and login to their account again, they would NOT get the $5 discount again, 1st order only.

Where exactly should I put the code and what do I test for? I see you have "if (1st time customer) .." I'm just not sure how or where to test for that.

Help please!!

Thanks!!!

Hello!

Hopefully someone can suggest an example of how I could make this work.

My client wants to have it set so that the first ITEM bought by any customer is FREE. So this would be based on them needing to be logged in to determine if that account had any previous orders.

If a customer shows up new and puts 4 things in their cart, then the first item should be free. (all items are the same price, so technically it's "one of the items" is free).

Is there a way to use Easy Discount to do this?? If not, anyone have a suggestion??

Thanks all!!!

what I would do is in login.php check with a simple query if previous orders exist.

if not, set the variable $first_time_customer to true and register that variable in the session.

then with that variable you can display a specific message to that customers stating that his very first puchased item will be free.

then in shopping_cart after $products = $cart->get_products(); you simply use :

if ($first_time_customer) {

if ($cart->count_contents() > 0) {

$easy_discount->add('FTC','First Time Customer Discount',$products[0]['price']);

} else {

$easy_discount->remove('FTC');

}

}

Treasurer MFC

what I would do is in login.php check with a simple query if previous orders exist.

if not, set the variable $first_time_customer to true and register that variable in the session.

Thanks for that..sorry about asking twice...in a slightly different way. :D

Question: can you let me know what format the query should be to check for previous orders? I really don't know my way around the code or database layout very well.

thanks!!

// Check if previous order
$check_prevord_query = tep_db_query("SELECT COUNT(orders_id) from " . TABLE_ORDERS . " where customers_id = '" . (int)$check_customer['customers_id'] . "'");
$check_prevord = tep_db_fetch_result($check_prevord_query);
if ($check_prevord < 1) {
	   $first_time_customer = 'True';
   tep_session_register('first_time_customer');
}

Thought I'd put my code here that I'm about to try, this is going in my login.php, right after the "check_country" bit.

Fingers crossed!

$check_prevord_query = tep_db_query("SELECT COUNT(orders_id) from " . TABLE_ORDERS . " where customers_id = '" . (int)$check_customer['customers_id'] . "'");
$check_prevord = tep_db_fetch_result($check_prevord_query);
}

Thought I'd put my code here that I'm about to try, this is going in my login.php, right after the "check_country" bit.

Fingers crossed!

I would set the variable as a boolean like

$first_time_customer = true;

} else {

$first_time_customer = false;

}

that way you can use :

if ($first_time_customer)

instead of :

if ($first_time_customer == 'True')

Treasurer MFC

OK I am getting close I think. I am getting mutiple entries in the shopping cart showing the discount, but always with a price of zero...and everytime I go to the cart it adds a new one so it looks like this now:

Sub-Total: $5.00

FREE: - $0.00FREE: - $0.00FREE: - $0.00FREE: - $0.00FREE: - $0.00FREE: - $0.00

Total: $5.00

Here is the code I have in various places....

application_top.php

Just after:

I put:

Futher down just after:

I put:

// Easy Discount Code

}

In login.php, just after:

$check_country_query = tep_db_query("select entry_country_id, entry_zone_id from " . TABLE_ADDRESS_BOOK . " where customers_id = '" .

(int)$check_customer['customers_id'] . "' and address_book_id = '" . (int)$check_customer['customers_default_address_id'] . "'");

$check_country = tep_db_fetch_array($check_country_query);

I added:

$check_prevord_query = tep_db_query("SELECT COUNT(orders_id) from " . TABLE_ORDERS . " where customers_id = '" .

(int)$check_customer['customers_id'] . "'");

$check_prevord = tep_db_fetch_fields($check_prevord_query);

if ($check_prevord[0] < 1) {

}

in shopping_cart.php just after:

require("includes/application_top.php");

I added:

include (DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS.'easy_discount.php');

Then further down just after:

$products = $cart->get_products();

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($products); $i<$n; $i++) {

// Push all attributes information in an array

//CHOPPED OUT ALL the stuff in this loop to shorten it in these notes.

}

}

}

After the end of that loop I added:

if ($first_time_customer) {

if ($cart->count_contents() > 0) {

$easy_discount->add('FREE','First Time Customer Discount',5);

} else {

$easy_discount->remove('FREE');

}

}

I also followed the instructions for the shopping cart add-on so there is also this in there:

after :

<tr>

<td>

<table width="100%">

<tr>

<td align="right" class="smallText"><?php echo SUB_TITLE_SUB_TOTAL; ?>

<?php

echo $currencies->format($cart->show_total());

?>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

add:

<?php

if ($easy_discount->count() > 0) {

echo easy_discount_display();

echo '<tr><td align="right">'.SUB_TITLE_TOTAL.' '.$currencies->format(($cart->show_total() - easy_discount_total())).'</td></tr>';

}

?>

I believe that is the code which is causing multiple "FREE" discounts to show (but as I said, they all have a zero value).

Lastly, when I get to checkout_confirmation, there is no evidence anywhere of the discounts, they don't show up there at all (even zero values).

What am I missing??

THANKS for your help, it is really appreciated!!

We cross paths again. :D

I made the change as you suggested while I was writing everything out and so that part of login.php now goes:

if ($check_prevord[0] < 1) {

$first_time_customer = true;

} else {

$first_time_customer = false;

}

Everything else is same, no difference. I'm sure I'm just missing something small somewhere ???

Simple promotion code working in shopping cart

Thanks, boxtel for this great contribution. I was fearing installing "Credit Class & Gift Voucher" on my modified site, and it also had many more features than I needed. I needed a simple promotion code system for my site like that described by varnco, Caterpillar, and others. The customer enters some text, like "SPECIAL", in an input box and then clicks the update cart button and the discount appears. I got it working on my site and wanted to share what I did if people are still working on this.

1) Install all three contributions from boxtel ("Easy Discount", "add on shopping cart display", and"addon shopping cart infobox display"). Note that step 2) of the "Easy Discount" install.txt instructions have been changed (from posts in this forum) to:

Make the following changes to includes/application_top.php:

Around line 125, just after:

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'shopping_cart.php')

Add:

Then, at the bottom of the file (but inside the ?> php section) around line 490, add:

}

2) Make few more changes to includes/application_top.php for the promotion code:

Around line 357, just before the following code:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link($goto, tep_get_all_get_params($parameters)));

break;

// customer adds a product from the products page

case 'add_product' : if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']) && is_numeric($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])) {

Add the following lines (this stores the promo code entered by the customer in a session variable):

if(tep_session_is_registered('promo_code'))

$promo_code = $HTTP_POST_VARS['promo_code'];

At the bottom of the file, just after the similar thing you just added for easy discount, add:

if (!tep_session_is_registered('promo_code')) {

tep_session_register('promo_code');

$promo_code = '';

}

3) Now, add the input box and promotion code check to shopping_cart.php:

Around line 34, just after:

<!-- body //-->

Add:

<?php

include_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS.'easy_discount.php');

$easy_discount->reset();

if($promo_code == 'SPECIAL')

{

$easy_discount->add('Early Customer Discount',10);

}

?>

Note, the promotion code that customers type in the box in this example is "SPECIAL", but you can change it to anything you want in the code above. You could also add multiple codes. Also, I've set it up to provide a discount of 10, but you can change this to anything from the examples that boxtel has provided.

Around line 244, just before:

</table></form></td>

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

Add:

<tr><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '5'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<?php

echo '<td class="main">' . tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '20', '1') . tep_draw_input_field('promo_code', '', 'size="10"') . tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '5', '1') . 'Promotion Code (optional). Update cart to see discount.</td>';

?>

</tr>

</table>

</tr>

This last step creates the text box for customers to enter the promotion code. This is working on my site, but please test it and let me know if it works for you. I'm new to php, so any coding suggestions are appreciated. The next improvement I'd like to add is an error message that comes up if the customer enters an incorrect promotion code. Right not, they get no feedback.

Edited by elementdirect

Simple promotion code working in shopping cart

Thanks, boxtel for this great contribution. I was fearing installing "Credit Class & Gift Voucher" on my modified site, and it also had many more features than I needed. I needed a simple promotion code system for my site like that described by varnco, Caterpillar, and others. The customer enters some text, like "SPECIAL", in an input box and then clicks the update cart button and the discount appears. I got it working on my site and wanted to share what I did if people are still working on this.

1) Install all three contributions from boxtel ("Easy Discount", "add on shopping cart display", and"addon shopping cart infobox display"). Note that step 2) of the "Easy Discount" install.txt instructions have been changed (from posts in this forum) to:

Make the following changes to includes/application_top.php:

Around line 125, just after:

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'shopping_cart.php')

Add:

Then, at the bottom of the file (but inside the ?> php section) around line 490, add:

}

2) Make few more changes to includes/application_top.php for the promotion code:

Around line 357, just before the following code:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link($goto, tep_get_all_get_params($parameters)));

break;

// customer adds a product from the products page

case 'add_product' : if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id']) && is_numeric($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'])) {

Add the following lines (this stores the promo code entered by the customer in a session variable):

if(tep_session_is_registered('promo_code'))

$promo_code = $HTTP_POST_VARS['promo_code'];

At the bottom of the file, just after the similar thing you just added for easy discount, add:

if (!tep_session_is_registered('promo_code')) {

tep_session_register('promo_code');

$promo_code = '';

}

3) Now, add the input box and promotion code check to shopping_cart.php:

Around line 34, just after:

<!-- body //-->

Add:

<?php

include_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS.'easy_discount.php');

$easy_discount->reset();

if($promo_code == 'SPECIAL')

{

}

?>

Note, the promotion code that customers type in the box in this example is "SPECIAL", but you can change it to anything you want in the code above. You could also add multiple codes. Also, I've set it up to provide a discount of 10, but you can change this to anything from the examples that boxtel has provided.

Around line 244, just before:

</table></form></td>

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

Add:

<tr><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '5'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<?php

echo '<td class="main">' . tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '20', '1') . tep_draw_input_field('promo_code', '', 'size="10"') . tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '5', '1') . 'Promotion Code (optional). Update cart to see discount.</td>';

?>

</tr>

</table>

</tr>

This last step creates the text box for customers to enter the promotion code. This is working on my site, but please test it and let me know if it works for you. I'm new to php, so any coding suggestions are appreciated. The next improvement I'd like to add is an error message that comes up if the customer enters an incorrect promotion code. Right not, they get no feedback.

that is good news, just make sure you change this :

to this:

$easy_discount->add('ECD','Early Customer Discount',10);

in other words, you give this discount a name 'ECD' so you can add multiple discounts with different names and remove a specific one by using $easy_discount->remove_type('ECD');.

$easy_discount->reset() will remove them all.

Treasurer MFC

that is good news, just make sure you change this :

to this:

$easy_discount->add('ECD','Early Customer Discount',10);

in other words, you give this discount a name 'ECD' so you can add multiple discounts with different names and remove a specific one by using $easy_discount->remove_type('ECD');.

$easy_discount->reset() will remove them all.

this ofcourse if you use the modified class definition from the 3rd post in this thread.

Treasurer MFC

this ofcourse if you use the modified class definition from the 3rd post in this thread.

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for this great contribution. Its simplicity is what's needed! I've already installed the contrib, but want to apply discounts to individual items. Taking your code from a previous thread:

// 200 (local currency) discount if item 1062 in cart

if ($cart->in_cart(1062)) {

$easy_discount->add('PID','1062 Discount',200);

} else {

$easy_discount->remove('PID');

}

and following the procedures from webexceed's post, where would I put the code above?

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for this great contribution. Its simplicity is what's needed! I've already installed the contrib, but want to apply discounts to individual items. Taking your code from a previous thread:

// 200 (local currency) discount if item 1062 in cart

if ($cart->in_cart(1062)) {

$easy_discount->add('PID','1062 Discount',200);

} else {

$easy_discount->remove('PID');

}

and following the procedures from webexceed's post, where would I put the code above?

well, the most natural place would be the shopping_cart.php but some people add items to the cart without actually going to the shopping cart page. In that case, use application_top.php so that the code is guaranteed executed.

and this :$easy_discount->remove('PID');

should be:$easy_discount->remove_type('PID');

Treasurer MFC

Ok.. I'm having some issue's where it's not deducting from the order_totals db table.

Also it looks like it's making two entries of the same thing.

This is what I put in my application_top.php file

// Discount stuff

$easy_discount = new easy_discount;

if (!tep_session_is_registered('easy_discount'))

{

}

if(@$_SESSION["gcdiscount"]!="" || @$_SESSION["gcdiscount"]!=0)

{

$easy_discount->add('Gift Card', $_SESSION["gcdiscount"]);

}

The session gets populated with the right values.