• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which Gateway is best to use?

Hello I was thinking of adding another gateway like 2Checkout or Godaddy's merchant gateway and I noticed that most of these charge you more than paypal like 5.5% per transaction plus $0.45 per sale. I guess I don't understand which gateway would be best for use and for the money.

I would apprciate any input here

Thanks

All cc processors I've dealt with will negotiate rates based on your processing volume. If you do a lot more business in 3 months, go back to them and they'll renegotiate.

Personally, I really like the TrustCommerce payment module.

-jared

Hello I was thinking of adding another gateway like 2Checkout or Godaddy's merchant gateway and I noticed that most of these charge you more than paypal like 5.5% per transaction plus $0.45 per sale. I guess I don't understand which gateway would be best for use and for the money.

Thanks

The best gateway to use is A) one that will accept you as a client, B) is convenient for your customers and one they are willing to use, C) Is reliable, and D) costs you the least in terms of discount fees. Since you are likely using osC its also important that a payment module is readily available or you are able to write one.

Be well,

Tina

If you're not having fun you're not doing it right

Teach a person to fish rather than give them a loaf of bread or however that saying goes.

The best gateway to use is A) one that will accept you as a client, B) is convenient for your customers and one they are willing to use, C) Is reliable, and D) costs you the least in terms of discount fees. Since you are likely using osC its also important that a payment module is readily available or you are able to write one.

Be well,

Tina

WOW that was quick response. I guess I am not clear on all the charges really. I seen some have huge fees to just set it up? Unless I am over looking something here why would I want to pay out more for this service?

WOW that was quick response. I guess I am not clear on all the charges really. I seen some have huge fees to just set it up? Unless I am over looking something here why would I want to pay out more for this service?

If it happens not to be broken, no good reason to go trying to fix it.

Be well,

Tina

If you're not having fun you're not doing it right

Teach a person to fish rather than give them a loaf of bread or however that saying goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Whatever you do - DO NOT try MechantBoss unless you do not want your money !!!

Are you sure that 5.5% doesn't include merchant account fees? The service I set my clients up with charges 1.5% + .15 or a flat .45 per transaction. The merchant account typically charges around 2.35%. That must be an all inclusive price you looked at. Even then, it's still high.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Depends where you are, in the US Paypal especially with Pro version is considered ok as a payment option, in Europe and especially the UK its still consdiered ebay crap, which no real retailer would use.

If most people have a choice of a company who appears to process their own cards onsite or somebody running paypal then they go with a "real" retailer using a real account. Various companies charge various rates, and may depend how much you pay upfront, the company I use charge ?120, but that includes 6 months fees, then I get an all in rate, if you pay them less up front you pay a higher transaction fee.

I got the prices from 2check out website here

2CheckOut

2checkout is not a merchant account , not even really a 3party payment processor like paypal, worldpay and ccavenue, but a reseller of your goods/services...But along with the 3 other mentioned its a well respected alternative for cc processing.

3 party payment processors are usually a good starting point since they generally have low set-up and no montly costs.

When the business goes up a dedicated merchant account and payment gateway is usually the way to go....The general consesus abuot this point is that its a must for shops doing over 1000 USD a month.

Tina is right, The most important factor I think the merchant usually look for a payment processing company to respond promptly to inquiries and to be customer friendly, reliable and stable too with affordable and reasonable set-up costs and cost charged per transaction. You can find thousand of companies through search but the end user experience and real review is most important to be taken into consideration.

If you are located in European countries chronopay.com provides reduction in its transaction processing fees as an enticement to Web Host, Web Design and Web Tools Providers, they seems stable and reliable offering good service and support, you should also check with them. They can offer you a 3rd party solution as well as an own merchant account. Also, they offer a virtual terminal at no extra costs. With their 3rd party solution there are no monthly fees and no set up fees.

Well I just received a quote from trustcommerce for $95 setup fee plus $20 bucks a month and $0.25 per transaction. That is alot for me I think. This month Paypal changed some of there policies and I really don't like them deciding what I can have on my site so I am out looking around now.

All cc processors I've dealt with will negotiate rates based on your processing volume. If you do a lot more business in 3 months, go back to them and they'll renegotiate.

Personally, I really like the TrustCommerce payment module.

-jared

Well could you point in a direction of these merchant accoutns you speak of? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Are you sure that 5.5% doesn't include merchant account fees? The service I set my clients up with charges 1.5% + .15 or a flat .45 per transaction. The merchant account typically charges around 2.35%. That must be an all inclusive price you looked at. Even then, it's still high.

• 4 weeks later...