• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

buy one, get one free

Hi, i'm looking to offer some specials for january where if some buys 2 items the get the third one free?

all my items are the same price

many thanks

Did anyone find a solution for this? I'm in need of a similar function myself - any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

well, I have something like that but never thought to make it a contribution.

see for yourself and make that assessment.

If you want I can make it into a contribution.

server: see my profile

page with item discount : /spiritual-art-charles-frizzell-notecards-C-54_102.html

page with money discount : /spiritual-art-gilbert-williams-notecards-C-54_93.html

settings are per category.

Treasurer MFC

I'm sure many others would appreciate the contribution :)

I myself am not using osCommerce, its a custom built system that I need to integrate the 'Buy One Get One Free' offer with - but I would appreciate any help you are able to provide.

see for yourself and make that assessment.

If you want I can make it into a contribution.

server: see my profile

page with item discount : /spiritual-art-charles-frizzell-notecards-C-54_102.html

page with money discount : /spiritual-art-gilbert-williams-notecards-C-54_93.html

settings are per category.

Amanda

I would be very interested and grateful if you would not mind turning this function into a contribution. Would it be possible to pick your brain about the 2gether Specials feature you are using as well? I've looked over the contributions sections for something just like this with not much luck. I'm still doing a forum search for more info about it though or something that works similar to it.

I make purses in two sizes and the 2gether Specials would be wonderful to package an offer to save on buying both the regular size purse and the matching evening bag.

Huge thanks in advance for any info you may be able to offer.. -- Mindy

Amanda

I would be very interested and grateful if you would not mind turning this function into a contribution. Would it be possible to pick your brain about the 2gether Specials feature you are using as well? I've looked over the contributions sections for something just like this with not much luck. I'm still doing a forum search for more info about it though or something that works similar to it.

I make purses in two sizes and the 2gether Specials would be wonderful to package an offer to save on buying both the regular size purse and the matching evening bag.

Huge thanks in advance for any info you may be able to offer.. -- Mindy

ok, I will post that one as a contrib today.

The 2gether specials is basically derived from the buy two module contribution.

However, I altered that because I did not like the fact that that module creates bundle products which you then have to handle specially all over the place.

So now it is just that you link 2 products together with either a money or percentage discount. when adding to the cart, you actually add the 2 different products to the cart. I added here that the cart also identifies 2gether specials and xsell's the other product there also if not in the cart.

At checkout the module checks if the combination exists and how many and then issues the discount.

Treasurer MFC

could this mod work with buy 5 get 2 free ?

basically with any number:

in admin you enter (just like table rates) :

94:5:1:q,100:10:200:m,150:8:2:q

which means:

1)from category 94 buy 5 get 1 for free

2)from category 100 buy 10 get 200 (in money) discount

3)from category 150 buy 8 get 2 for free

but line 1 and 3 assume that all products in that category have the same price as it gives you the discount in money at checkout. So if all products in category 94 are priced at 500 then at checkout you would see a discount of 500 and for category 150 you would see a discount of 2x the product price.

Treasurer MFC

woooooooooooow that's hott! :thumbsup:

how bout if you wanted it for all categories? would you have to enter them seperately or could there be a way to do them all together?

all categories would ofcourse be easier as the main pain is in checkout to determine to which category the individual products belonged which are now in the order.

then again, if you do a discount for all categories then it is basically a global discount for all.

anyway, the contrib is here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3926

Treasurer MFC

ok, I will post that one as a contrib today.

The 2gether specials is basically derived from the buy two module contribution.

However, I altered that because I did not like the fact that that module creates bundle products which you then have to handle specially all over the place.

So now it is just that you link 2 products together with either a money or percentage discount. when adding to the cart, you actually add the 2 different products to the cart. I added here that the cart also identifies 2gether specials and xsell's the other product there also if not in the cart.

At checkout the module checks if the combination exists and how many and then issues the discount.

Amanda

Thanks so much for your time and all the hard work you put into making this a contrib for us. Can't wait to try it out today just downloaded it!!

Can I bother you again to ask further how you modified the Buy_Two_Module to suit these specific needs mentioned above? I've grabbed the contribution but also don't care for the bundled products. Also will I need to install the Xsell contribution to use the BTM? I'm still very much a newbie but doing my best to search out my answers and read read and read some more before posting for help.

Thanks So Much -- Mindy

Amanda

Thanks so much for your time and all the hard work you put into making this a contrib for us. Can't wait to try it out today just downloaded it!!

Can I bother you again to ask further how you modified the Buy_Two_Module to suit these specific needs mentioned above? I've grabbed the contribution but also don't care for the bundled products. Also will I need to install the Xsell contribution to use the BTM? I'm still very much a newbie but doing my best to search out my answers and read read and read some more before posting for help.

Thanks So Much -- Mindy

no, you do not need xsell as that is a different scheme.

I will make it into a contrib today or tomorrow but I did not have an admin side to manage the table (just entered product id's and discounts directly in the table).

I just finished that so now I still have to bundle it.

Treasurer MFC

will it be able to handle prices as well? For example:

buy 1 99? item and get another 99? item for free?

no but that would be a very easy module to make as it only involves counting the number of items in the cart that have a certain price, not what category they come from.

Treasurer MFC

What if I add 5 products from one category with varying prices, and then the 6th product is free.

Which product will be considered the free one? The last one entered?

I sell custom tailored shirts, and they can go from $130 to $240. So if the last one is free and it is added as $240, that is a bit of a loss.

Is there a way to average or add a formula like:

if product average >= free product

else blah blah blah

Great contribution, I may use it anyways (first one I have seen for this need!)

Jesse Rooney

What if I add 5 products from one category with varying prices, and then the 6th product is free.

Which product will be considered the free one? The last one entered?

I sell custom tailored shirts, and they can go from $130 to $240. So if the last one is free and it is added as $240, that is a bit of a loss.

Is there a way to average or add a formula like:

if product average >= free product

else blah blah blah

Great contribution, I may use it anyways (first one I have seen for this need!)

well, you could change this in the module :

$cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"] = $products[$p]['price'];

to this :

if ($cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"] > 0) {

$cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"] = ($cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"]+$products[$p]['price'])/2;

} else {

}

which would make it a rolling average of all prices per category in the cart

Treasurer MFC

well, you could change this in the module :

to this :

if ($cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"] > 0) {

$cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"] = ($cat_qty_discount_array[$i]["price"]+$products[$p]['price'])/2;

} else {

}

which would make it a rolling average of all prices per category in the cart

then again, what will you say?

buy 10 get approx. 1 for free?

when you have different prices, give a money discount iso quantity

Treasurer MFC

I am not a programmer, just offering solutions to friends in need.

Giving an equal price to the lowest price of the product purchased is ideal, but I am not sure on how to do that.

Finding the median is great, so I will take that.

If this contrib went further I think others would use it based on buy 5 get 6th of equal or greater value..

What do you think?

Jesse Rooney

I am not a programmer, just offering solutions to friends in need.

Giving an equal price to the lowest price of the product purchased is ideal, but I am not sure on how to do that.

Finding the median is great, so I will take that.

If this contrib went further I think others would use it based on buy 5 get 6th of equal or greater value..

What do you think?

well, you could make something like that but the question is whether it would be worth the trouble.

In my case people can add 6 products at one time on the product pages, so which is then the 6th product?

I basically made this because I have 3 categories with a lot of cards, all priced at 3 dollars, all of the same kind and as such it would be teasing to offer 1 or 2 or... extra.

Treasurer MFC

Hi! Thanks for this contribution it sounds like what I am looking for. I cannot figure out where to insert the snipet of code within index.php...

The install.txt states in "index.php just before you call product_listing.php to display the products" however being a php noob, I'm not sure where that would be, my index.php does'nt contain the phrase, "product_litsing.php".

Thanks in advance for any instruction you can offer me.

Tim

Hi! Thanks for this contribution it sounds like what I am looking for. I cannot figure out where to insert the snipet of code within index.php...

The install.txt states in "index.php just before you call product_listing.php to display the products" however being a php noob, I'm not sure where that would be, my index.php does'nt contain the phrase, "product_litsing.php".

Thanks in advance for any instruction you can offer me.

Tim

just before this in index.php:

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_PRODUCT_LISTING); ?></td>

</tr>

Treasurer MFC

• 1 month later...

This contrib is exactly what I've been looking for; thanks for making it available to us all!

One problem, though: how do I know what number is associated with my product category?

I've installed everything as indicated, and installed the moduel in the admin section, but I don't see any indication on my actual site that any sort of special is offered, much less applied in the checkout pages...?

Help! :-)

Thanks,

Mike

Archived