• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How can I change user permission of catalog/includes/configure.php on windows xp to chmod 644

desertrose61

catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

This error message seems to on browser .Host is on windows Xp .How can I change user permission of catalog/includes/configure.php on windows xp to chmod 644

catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

This error message seems to on browser .Host is on windows Xp .How can I change user permission of catalog/includes/configure.php on windows xp to chmod 644

You are probably trying to make this read only. Simply navigate to the file in windows, right click on it, and check the read-only check box.

You are probably trying to make this read only. Simply navigate to the file in windows, right click on it, and check the read-only check box.

When oscommerce is being installed. Documentation.Pdf refers that

Reset the permissions on /catalog/includes/configure.php to 644 (if you are still getting

the warning message at the top set configure.php to 444 which is read only - this happens

on some servers that have been updated for security reasons).

Set the permissions on /catalog/images directory to 777.

Reset the permissions on /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php to 644.

Create the dir /catalog/admin/backups and set the permissions to 777.

Set the permissions on /catalog/admin/images/graphs directory to 777.

As I couldnt do these on my own localhost. I get this error message "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file."

So I want to adjust that error

Reset the permissions on /catalog/includes/configure.php to 644 (if you are still getting

the warning message at the top set configure.php to 444 which is read only - this happens

As I couldnt do these on my own localhost. I get this error message "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file."

You need to chmod it from a FTP client. If you don't want to do that, maybe your hosting company will do it for you?

Windows operating systems (all of them) do not support chmod. You must use windows user permissions to accomplish the same thing, ie. read-only...

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

This is really nuts because now it appears to be set to 444 however it is still displaying that message...

try

Chmod

What is chmod

Chmod is essentially what rights a specific file or folder have. These rights decide whether a file can be read and

executed and where. You can for example assign rights to a file, which means that it cannot be viewed in a browser,

but can still be viewed, when accessing your web space via FTP. You should not change chmod for files or folders,

except if you are told to do so or if you are aware of the consequences changing chmod can have.

How to change chmod?

To change chmod on a file or folder, you should log on to your web space, using an FTP-program like FileZilla.

Right-click the file you wish to change chmod for and choose chmod/attributes/rights. From here you should be able

to set the rights.

Standard chmod rights

For files the standard chmod is 644 and for folders it is 755.

Changing chmod to 444

Some scripts (mainly OsCommerce) have files that needs to have chmod 444. This is not possible to do via FTP,

but should in stead be done via PHP. Please copy/paste the following code to a blank text document:

<?php

$filename = "file.php";

chmod("/customers/mydomain.dk/mydomain.dk/httpd.www/$filename", 0444);

echo "chmod for $filename was changed";

?>

file.php should be changed to the file that you wish to change chmod for. If the file is located in a subfolder, you

should enter this here as well, i.e. subfolder/file.php.

Save the file and upload it to your web space and access the file via a browser. The file's chmod will now be

changed.

Many servers will silently ignore requests to change permissions from FTP clients. You need to use the "control panel" tools provided by your host. There's no harm in trying to set permissions on a Windows host to 444 via an FTP client (or via a PHP script), but just because there's no error reported is no proof that the action took place.

Most of the documentation is Linux-oriented (permissions such as 644 and 444). In the Windows world, you add "Read Only" attributes for various classes of users. "644" would be "Read-Write for the owner, and Read-Only for everyone else". 444 would be "Read-Only for everyone". As an additional note, what's of concern here is not whether the "owner" can actually write to a file, but whether PHP is able to. The idea is to make it so PHP can't overwrite the configuration files, in case a hacker somehow persuades osC to actually try to do that.

Archived