• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

config error with new installation

Sharon_U

Hello, I'm having an error during new installation. Its reads as follows:

The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set.

Please perform the following actions:

cd /home/sharonu/public_html/catalog/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

cd /home/sharonu/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

What does this mean? Can I correct this? I'm a newbie and not a techie either so I'm hoping for something that won't go over my head.

Thanks,

Sharon

Hello!

I've got same problem.

The difference is my very first try was successful.

But after I' got .htacces and tried to open the catalog folder I've got some error message.

So (I stupid) tired with a new install. That was an incredible BAD idea.

I deleted and uploaded the whole site.

I can to run the install and I?m getting the error message:

"The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set."

I made lots of try I?ve done everything as at the very first time.

I reseted the site with the administrators.

What happened?

wbrg: Da.

smilie

You're getting these problems because your configure.php file permisisons are not correctly set. For the duration of the install set them to 777 (full permissions) so that the install can write data to them. After the install has completed successfully reset the permissions on those two files to 644, 444, or 400 - depending on your server.

All other files should be 644, and folders need to be 755 or 777.

Vger

You're getting these problems because your configure.php file permisisons are not correctly set. For the duration of the install set them to 777 (full permissions) so that the install can write data to them. After the install has completed successfully reset the permissions on those two files to 644, 444, or 400 - depending on your server.

All other files should be 644, and folders need to be 755 or 777.

Vger

I am getting the same problem and I HAVE changed the permissions as instructed in the html documentation. My experience seems to be a blend of the other posts. My initial attempt failed completely and required the Register Globals fix, the files for which I downloaded, copied into relevant directories, and then re-ran the installation. The installation then progressed to the point where it delivered the "configuration files do not exist or permission levels are not set" message. I have checked all permissions (both before and after the Register Globals fix) using the WS-FTP program and they are set to 777 ie. read, write, execute. I have tried resetting them, just in case, but that doesn't work. The catalog is on a shared Easyspace Linux server. Help please.

Roger

Two things.

1. Check in both includes/local/ folders to see if there is an alternative configure.php file in them. If you find any then either rename or delete them.

2. Don't forget that you have two configure.php files, one in includes/ and one in admin/includes/

Vger

Two things.

1. Check in both includes/local/ folders to see if there is an alternative configure.php file in them. If you find any then either rename or delete them.

2. Don't forget that you have two configure.php files, one in includes/ and one in admin/includes/

Vger

Thanks Vger. I didn't realise there were TWO configure.php files (The html documentation doesn't make this AT ALL clear). I've now found them both, changed the permissions to 777 and the installation has been completed successfully - it's so easy when you know how!! I'll now change the permissions back to more secure levels and keep my fingers crossed that I don't blow it again!! Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Roger

Archived