• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Another one live

Barido

Hi people,

Well I've completed my third Oscommerce store www.pedalnet.com.

You guys have helped me uncover bugs in the past so I thought I'd throw up another post here.

Please let me know if you spot anything out of the ordinary, or if you have some suggestions/criticism to offer.

I've used countless contributions, so thanks to all the authors out there! Obviously I've made some pretty heavy layout changes from the default build, the store is completely css which was a major task in itself!

Anyway, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Brett

Great site, love the layout and product listing. A lil slow on load for DSL, but not bad. Is thelayout and product listing (tabs) a contrib? Please let me know. Overall your site is really good. The time you put in definitley shows. Good job.

Sam

Great Site Fantastic even

please let us know what contributions you used to acheve the layout of the product listing this is exactly what i am looking for

overall I think your site looks very professional and potential cusomers would not hesitate to buy if it is what they are looking for

another question how long did it take you to make your site

nice job

maltonge

Hi people,

Well I've completed my third Oscommerce store www.pedalnet.com.

You guys have helped me uncover bugs in the past so I thought I'd throw up another post here.

Please let me know if you spot anything out of the ordinary, or if you have some suggestions/criticism to offer.

I've used countless contributions, so thanks to all the authors out there! Obviously I've made some pretty heavy layout changes from the default build, the store is completely css which was a major task in itself!

Anyway, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Brett

The only thing I would do different is try to move the products up on the index so they are above the scroll- with the idea that getting the products in front of your customers when they first arrive is better.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

Thanks for the feedback people, much appreciated.

One more thing I am interested in, is the site showing prices in the currency of your country?

Great site, love the layout and product listing. A lil slow on load for DSL, but not bad. Is thelayout and product listing (tabs) a contrib? Please let me know. Overall your site is really good. The time you put in definitley shows. Good job.

Thanks, Sam. Product listing is my own, I could look at releasing it as a contribution if there is enough demand. Same with the tabs. The good thing about the about both the product listing and page tabs is the markup is very minimal.

The only thing I would do different is try to move the products up on the index so they are above the scroll- with the idea that getting the products in front of your customers when they first arrive is better.

Good suggestion. I actually leaned this way myself. But my client wanted are more community focused site, hence news / articles and eventually forum topics are priority for her.

To my eyes this shop looks amazing.

I have been syrfing around on it for some 20 mins now looking for things that I dont like.

Sofar....nothing. I do find lots of stuff that is really nice. The layout is really sweet.

As said before, the tabs in the prod.listing looks good.

The site looks professional and I have no doubt that it will do very good. At least in your native country.

(Found one small thing with currencies. I got the Swedish currency, wich is correct. But the official "labeling" for Swedish Kroner is SEK. Yours sais only SE. That got me a little confused. It?s an easy change.)

Zipper

Thanks mediumman!

I will release those tabs as a contribution post new years. There's really not alot to it, they're just an unordered list with some clever css styling. I don't mind people viewing source and grabbing the markup in the mean time. But please do not use the same images as I have.

Just an awesome site man...job well done....Please release those tabs and product listings to the contributions...

I found myself clicking on:

Clothing For Cycling, Triathlon & Mountain Bike Enthusiasts. Quality Bike Shorts, Shirts, Jackets & More.

...too similar to the link colour :)

Nice work! B)

Matti

A very nice looking site indeed, well done.

The only points I'd make is that some of the lighter coloured text could be just a little bit darker. I, like a lot of people, wear reading glasses and the lighter text is a little indistinct for my eyesight. Also on the top nav bar when you mouse-over the text it completely disappears for a second until the new and lighter background appears. It should be possible to get over this. This may not happen for a lot of people but I have my browser set to always look for the newest version of pages and not to cache anything (for when I am developing sites).

Vger

I found myself clicking on:

Clothing For Cycling, Triathlon & Mountain Bike Enthusiasts. Quality Bike Shorts, Shirts, Jackets & More.

...too similar to the link colour :)

Thanks Matti, will do something about that.

A very nice looking site indeed, well done.

The only points I'd make is that some of the lighter coloured text could be just a little bit darker. I, like a lot of people, wear reading glasses and the lighter text is a little indistinct for my eyesight. Also on the top nav bar when you mouse-over the text it completely disappears for a second until the new and lighter background appears. It should be possible to get over this. This may not happen for a lot of people but I have my browser set to always look for the newest version of pages and not to cache anything (for when I am developing sites).

Thanks for the feedback. By lighter text do you mean the green text?

As for the image rollovers, as far as I know I can't do anything about that as my host has a certain php module disabled. I have implemented some changes in .htaccess to cater for the majority. But as you say, it doesn't work for those who don't cache. As far as I'm aware it's a bug in internet explorers method of handling css/images. I'm not really prepared to move to a javascript solution just for this. Maybe you know a way round it that I havn't heard of?

• 2 weeks later...

Great site! Lovely design and informative too. I thought it had exactly the sort of balance that I have been aiming for but never quite achieving. All the best with it.

I did manage after a great deal of searching to come up with a couple of typos on your shopping cart page (which again was informative):

'What are the shipping rates?

Shipping is free New Zealand wide. We ship worldwide for free if you spend over , otherswise we charge per order. '

Over what?

otherwise

As an international buyer I would probably be looking for a little more reassurance as to how you would handle returns in terms of shipping costs. I know from experience that if an overseas customer needs to exchange an item because it it the wrong size , it can be a nightmare. Then the credit card company is going to leg them over if they want a refund. Ho hum.

Very professional. Love it.

Hi there, Not much more I can add. It's a really pleasant experience. The colour scheme looks great.

One small point regarding currencies - I am from the UK but NZ Dollars was the default currency. When I tried to change it on the currency tab I selected GB Pounds ? but it still switched back to New Zealand Dollars. Sure it's just a small glitch but well done on a great site.

You will never learn if you don't try. And boy am I trying....!

It appears to be an informational resource instead of a shop, not saying that the two can't go together.

I was expecting the shop to feature info about the products and services you render only.

other links titled bike riding? can redirect a customer if you'd like.

organization really makes the sales you deserve.

Just my opinion.

The site looks amazing. You absolutely cannot tell that it is an OSC site. All of the graphics are very professional looking as well.

I am with the previous poster in hoping that you will release the layout as a contribution!

-John

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The site is progressing well. I hope to release some contributions from the site sometime soon, it's just a matter of finding the time.

'What are the shipping rates?

Shipping is free New Zealand wide. We ship worldwide for free if you spend over , otherswise we charge per order. '

Over what?

otherwise

As an international buyer I would probably be looking for a little more reassurance as to how you would handle returns in terms of shipping costs. I know from experience that if an overseas customer needs to exchange an item because it it the wrong size , it can be a nightmare. Then the credit card company is going to leg them over if they want a refund. Ho hum.

Thanks for the feedback. You make a good point about reassuring international buyers. I'll make sure to add this. The problem you had with a missing price should be a one-off, the currrency conversion javascript may not have loaded. We are looking into a non javascript solution for this very reason though.

Hi there, Not much more I can add. It's a really pleasant experience. The colour scheme looks great.

One small point regarding currencies - I am from the UK but NZ Dollars was the default currency. When I tried to change it on the currency tab I selected GB Pounds ? but it still switched back to New Zealand Dollars. Sure it's just a small glitch but well done on a great site.

That seems strange, it may be a cookie or proxy issue, havn't had any other reports. Thanks for your feedback though.

great look! seems like you spend quite a lot of time on modifying oscommerce.

One question though, it seems like you throw away tables and replace everything with css?

Thankyou, yes the store is completely in css, it's much cleaner and alot less markup.

Thankyou, yes the store is completely in css, it's much cleaner and alot less markup.

how to throw all tables? because almost every files are with tables matching up together? any tips? i would love to do same without tables. i m kind of a newbie

great look! seems like you spend quite a lot of time on modifying oscommerce.

One question though, it seems like you throw away tables and replace everything with css?

This is by far one of my favorite layouts that I've seen displayed here, in relation to an Online Store. Very clean, very functional, very elegant. I'm also curious as to how you replaced everything with CSS... Did you really go in and modify all the PHP files?

Also, how did you have the categories listed on the left without category expansion and with descriptions?

This is by far one of my favorite layouts that I've seen displayed here, in relation to an Online Store. Very clean, very functional, very elegant. I'm also curious as to how you replaced everything with CSS... Did you really go in and modify all the PHP files?

Also, how did you have the categories listed on the left without category expansion and with descriptions?

Thankyou! Yes I went through and modified all the files. I hadn't built a full css site before so it was nice learning experience, having said that I wouldn't like to do the conversion again.

I added a category description filed to the categories database. Left menu just graps title and description.

how to throw all tables? because almost every files are with tables matching up together? any tips? i would love to do same without tables. i m kind of a newbie

I would be cautious of taking on the conversion task if you're a newbie. It does invlove a lot of work, not only modifying the oscommerce core code, but also any contributions you want to add.

Archived