• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal not returning order - GUIDE

tyrant

I'm reposting this reply from wilfy as it answers the following half dozen or so posts after it. As you can see from wilfy's post PayPal has changed the way their Auto Return feature works. Bummer!!

This is from the paypal website:

About Auto Return

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auto Return shortens the checkout flow and immediately brings your buyers back to your website upon payment completion. To set up Auto Return, you need to turn it on and enter the Return URL that will be used to redirect your buyers back to your site.

Note: If you have enabled Auto Return and have chosen to turn on PayPal Account Optional for new users, a new user will not be automatically directed back to your website, but will be given the option to return.

So the only full proof way of getting an auto return is to turn off paypal account optional! joy! not

I'm reposting this reply from wilfy as it answers the following half dozen or so posts after it. As you can see from wilfy's post PayPal has changed the way their Auto Return feature works. Bummer!!

Many thanks. I had changed this setting in response to Wilfy's post but wasn't 100% sure that this was the cause of the problem. Thanks for clearing that up.

A

ps Had absolutely no reply from Paypal customer support!

I just saw this on the contributions page. I have not tested it yet, but apparently this fix may address the issue many of us are seeing with customer orders not being returned to the site after completeing the payment process with PayPal.

Please post the results of whether or not this works.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3819

osCommerce contribution by Troy Harris, code-jockey for www.CalligraphyByCarla.com (which is not yet live as of this posting).

This solution has been tested with osC's basic PayPal module, but it MAY be applicable also to PayPalIPN, in which case the path and/or file-name and/or line location may differ.

(Credit for finding this on the PayPal developer forum and then sharing it with the rest of us belongs to osC forum user TFO.)

_ _ _ _ _

Go to catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php.

(Backup this file before editing.)

At appx line 87 you'll find most of the following:

$process_button_string = tep_draw_hidden_field('cmd', '_xclick') .

tep_draw_hidden_field('business', MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_ID) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('item_name', $_SESSION['FixOrder']) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('amount', number_format(($order->info['total'] - $order->info['shipping_cost']) * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('shipping', number_format($order->info['shipping_cost'] * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency))) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('currency_code', $my_currency) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS, '', 'SSL')) .

/* and insert this line */ tep_draw_hidden_field('rm', 2) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('cancel_return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, '', 'SSL'));

Save, upload, test. That's it!

I just saw this on the contributions page. I have not tested it yet, but apparently this fix may address the issue many of us are seeing with customer orders not being returned to the site after completeing the payment process with PayPal.

Please post the results of whether or not this works.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3819

I amended my paypal.php file according to this contribution, now when I do a live test and get to the Paypal checkout, there is a blank box showing for items. (Prior to making amendment it was just showing my store name!)

How do I get a list of the items which the customer has purchased to show in the items section of the Paypal checkout?

Thanks

How do I get a list of the items which the customer has purchased to show in the items section of the Paypal checkout?

Further research I found "Better PayPal Description" contribution in payment modules. Now have a description of items purchased just have to test live.

Its on the paypal website payments standard integration document. See chapter 7. Basically you pass extra parameters as the sample there shows. The default osc paypal mod does not do this. I haven't checked every contrib variation but I guess setting up test mode and create the code shouldn't be over-complicated. There might be limitations with respect to the product attributes but you could separate shipping per item for example and the products themselves.

As of the "rm" I had a look when rm=2 all transaction variables are posted back. A redirection also takes place back to the store at the end of the transaction. Why you get the empty box on the paypal page?

There is also the recover cart sales contrib that could be a last resort to recover the cart without calling the client asking for details.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1688

Its on the paypal website payments standard integration document. See chapter 7. Basically you pass extra parameters as the sample there shows. The default osc paypal mod does not do this. I haven't checked every contrib variation but I guess setting up test mode and create the code shouldn't be over-complicated. There might be limitations with respect to the product attributes but you could separate shipping per item for example and the products themselves.

Here is a contribution that will accomplish what Mark mentioned with sending the individual items ordered to Paypal:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3376

• 1 year later...

Well Thank YOU SIR!

Why cant people give straight answers like that?

I have followed many many threads and couldnt find the answer - because the readme file says that you no NOT need to change anything in paypal.

But it seems that you do

Thanks again

I have read at least 20 posts in the last few days asking how to solve the problem below. I hope this simple guide is some use to people having difficult with paypal

Problem

Set up paypal but when orders are made paypal / my website dosnt record the products purchased etc.

Soloution

Log into PayPal. Click Profile. Under selling preferences click website payment preferences.

change Auto Return to ON

Set your return URL as follows: http://www.Yourwebsite.com/checkout_process.php

Payment data transfer: ON

then save your settings. Now when an order is made, a call back is sent to your checkout_process.php to record the order and send the emails etc.

Thanks Mr - T.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have read at least 20 posts in the last few days asking how to solve the problem below. I hope this simple guide is some use to people having difficult with paypal

Problem

Set up paypal but when orders are made paypal / my website dosnt record the products purchased etc.

Soloution

Log into PayPal. Click Profile. Under selling preferences click website payment preferences.

change Auto Return to ON

Set your return URL as follows: http://www.Yourwebsite.com/checkout_process.php

Payment data transfer: ON

then save your settings. Now when an order is made, a call back is sent to your checkout_process.php to record the order and send the emails etc.

Thanks Mr - T.

Does this work if you have several websites using the same PayPal account? I wouldn't want all of my customers returning to a different website after a purchase. Thank you.

• 8 months later...

I read many posts, in many forums, and I couldn't make my clients return to my site, neither I could receive an email order with the items information.

TO FIX THE ISSUE (I can guarantee it will work only if you are not using SSL)

in the file catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php

FIND:

tep_draw_hidden_field('return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS, '', 'SSL')) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('cancel_return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, '', 'SSL'));

REPLACE:

tep_draw_hidden_field('return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS)) .

tep_draw_hidden_field('cancel_return', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT));

That is it...

Upload the file and make sure you log in in your paypal account and in Website Payment Preferences set the following options:

Auto Return:

x On

Off

Return URL:

http://www.yourwebsite.com/catalog/store/checkout_process.php

Payment Data Transfer:

x On

Off

Click in SAVE.

I hope it works for you as it worked for me!

Edited by marispb

I read many posts, in many forums, and I couldn't make my clients return to my site, neither I could receive an email order with the items information.

TO FIX THE ISSUE (I can guarantee it will work only if you are not using SSL)

in the file catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php

FIND:

REPLACE:

That is it...

Upload the file and make sure you log in in your paypal account and in Website Payment Preferences set the following options:

Auto Return:

x On

Off

Return URL:

http://www.yourwebsite.com/catalog/store/checkout_process.php

Payment Data Transfer:

x On

Off

Click in SAVE.

I hope it works for you as it worked for me!

At last a reply that doesn't assume we know as much as the poster and gives clear concise instructions that WORK !!!! Please remember you were a newbie once yourself

Many Many Thanks

At last a reply that doesn't assume we know as much as the poster and gives clear concise instructions that WORK !!!! Please remember you were a newbie once yourself

Many Many Thanks

I'm glad that it worked for you as well! Thanks for posting your comments!