• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Almost Complete

Hello,

I've been working on this site for a while now, and thought that it'd be a good idea to get some input from other OsCommerce users. At is almost finish being setup, only having to find out more about the payment methods before i make it live.

The link to it is: http://www.yeahbabykids.com/shop/

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

i just looked at the front page and feel that i need to comment on this as this was my first impression.

1. it took quite a while to load so maybe you should look at optimzing some of your images.

2. The osCommerce logo needs to be removed from the bottom of the page and the page title changing to reflect your own.

3. The products should may be at the top of the page rather than at the bottom...is the big bus a logo? it doesn't add anything being in the middle of the page. If it's a logo then stick it up top in the header.

4. The category menu should also be further up the page really...may be swap it for the privacy notice etc as you have this at the bottom too!!!. ...Your products are what the site is about so make these your main focus.

5. The top links require some attention as they are a little blurred.

6. The top graphic could also be sharper...like the one on your holding page...it's a good logo and your store page doesn't do it any justice.

These points are based on my first impressions...so i think there's probably a wee bit more work to do before going live. It just needs some tightening up graphically...haven't checked functionality.

good luck.

Hi,

i just looked at the front page and feel that i need to comment on this as this was my first impression.

1. it took quite a while to load so maybe you should look at optimzing some of your images.

2. The osCommerce logo needs to be removed from the bottom of the page and the page title changing to reflect your own.

3. The products should may be at the top of the page rather than at the bottom...is the big bus a logo? it doesn't add anything being in the middle of the page. If it's a logo then stick it up top in the header.

4. The category menu should also be further up the page really...may be swap it for the privacy notice etc as you have this at the bottom too!!!. ...Your products are what the site is about so make these your main focus.

5. The top links require some attention as they are a little blurred.

6. The top graphic could also be sharper...like the one on your holding page...it's a good logo and your store page doesn't do it any justice.

These points are based on my first impressions...so i think there's probably a wee bit more work to do before going live. It just needs some tightening up graphically...haven't checked functionality.

good luck.

1. SEESHHH! I have to agree about the load time. I'm on broadband, and if I were visiting your store to make an actual purchase, I wouldn't have stuck around to wait for it to download.

2. You can definitely use a thumbnail contribution

3. The "yeah baby" center image could be removed because it adds nothing to the site and the tagline, "First Stop for eclectic Children's Clothing and Toys at Sensible Prices" could be added under the logo or in the title headting.

4. I think your info boxes should be wider as "Great Presents-> (29)" needlessly wraps to the next line

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

Your site hits on about half of the issues in this thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178740

Take what you will from it.

In addition to that- Man, that logo is bad. I recommend you get a professionally designed logo made or something, because that one ain't hittin on much.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

The site usually loads alot faster, only recently has it been loading so slow...

I'll fix up what you people were saying too... Thanks for the suggestions/input! :)

The site usually loads alot faster, only recently has it been loading so slow...

I'll fix up what you people were saying too... Thanks for the suggestions/input! :)

1. remove requests since

2. do you need an online catalogue link and a home link in the top bar arent they the same thing?

3. Remove the language box if yo only have one language

4. Put the categories above the shop links

5. why do you need two boxes that have the same links in them e.g. privacy notice/shipping

6. perhpas kill the default os gifs

7. streamilne the create an account

8. install a meta tags contrib

etc etc

You will find it is never ending expect to take at least 6 months to tinker with it

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

1. remove requests since

Yep, forgot about that.. :P

2. do you need an online catalogue link and a home link in the top bar arent they the same thing?

That was going to be a link to a homepage sort of thing, for the real store. But it was never made, so i'll remove it. :)

3. Remove the language box if yo only have one language

Do you have to do that manually? Or can it be done through the Admin CP?

4. Put the categories above the shop links

Yep, was thinking to do that, cause its the main focus.

5. why do you need two boxes that have the same links in them e.g. privacy notice/shipping

I moved those links up there so the Customer wouldn't have to scroll down the page for them. Plus, there are other links there, such as Store Info (i think it was that), Loyality Policy, etc, plus a "Magazine" link which hasn't been added there yet.

6. perhpas kill the default os gifs

You talking about the ones in the top right corners of the pages ?

7. streamilne the create an account

Hmm ?

-- dean-h

Yep, forgot about that.. :P

That was going to be a link to a homepage sort of thing, for the real store. But it was never made, so i'll remove it. :)

Do you have to do that manually? Or can it be done through the Admin CP?

Yep, was thinking to do that, cause its the main focus.

I moved those links up there so the Customer wouldn't have to scroll down the page for them. Plus, there are other links there, such as Store Info (i think it was that), Loyality Policy, etc, plus a "Magazine" link which hasn't been added there yet.

You talking about the ones in the top right corners of the pages ?

Hmm ?

-- dean-h

no you have to go into the colunms php to remove the languaeg box

yes the images of shopping bags etc

streamline the create account/checkout see here have a stroll around streamlined

And fire your host.

Find a new one who's servers can actualy serve web pages. There is no customer on the planet that is going to wait 2+ minutes with baited breath to see what you want to hock at them.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

It runs fine on my computer, no lagging or anything, but I still agree with the above comments.

If you are having speed comments, there is a thread on this forum somewhere about optimising. You can get the number of SQL requests per page down to a ridulously low number. I followed the thread, and now my index page only has 11 requests, down from 60!!

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

Archived