• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

oscsid

i think i may have a small fix in mind for the problem with the oscsid being displayed in the urls i have noticed that the first page has the oscsid urls and on after a click or a page refresh the urls go to html for some reason googles spiders are picking up only oscsid urls from our site take a look here http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spide...talog/index.php

The solution i have come up with is to have the first page refresh instantly so that all the urls after the refresh the all pages are html and not with the oscsid can anyone tell me how to have my catalog page refresh like refresh rate 0 or 1 i wonder if google will still see the oscsid url hmmmm hope not i will give it a go and let you know on this feed if there is any experts looking at this please your views are required

i know on my html home page i have a refresh rate of 60 which = 60seconds as there is information on there that people find interesting but i am not to sure how to put the same code into a catalog/index.php

i will keep you informed

or you can see the progress of this fix by viewing our website and check the urls for yourself

http://www.pcgiant.co.uk and enter our store if the urls in our store are html then this problem is fixed and a reply will be add to this feed

If the spiders are picking up the SID's, then you need to set prevent spider session to true in admin->sessions.

Jack

hi there and thanks for your reply

i do have the prevent spider session set to true

do you think maybe this is to do with the robot.txt

also the fix i had in mind never worked the spiders still picked up the oscsid urls

i will keep all informed as to how i fix this problem

is there no experts out there who know what this problem is if so please join in on the topic it would help many webmasters as i have seen this problem with the oscsid url on many a forum but not one of the answers have fixed the problem any ideas please reply

mal

I doubt that you have a problem. If you are seeing SID's in the search engine listings and you have prevent spiders on, then they are probably old links. Search the web for sites that perform spider tests of your site, there are many of them. They will show if the SID's are being seen or not.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

hi there and thank you for your reply here is the link to the website that i had spider my site http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spide...talog/index.php and all have sids

it does look like this problem is not going to be fixed

i have had this problem now ever since i installed the ultimate seo_urls contribution

i advise anyone who is thinking of installing the ultimate seo_url contribution to think again as this is not working as it should do, any pros out there care to prove me wrong please feel free to contribute to this forum

or you can contact us through our website http://www.pcgiant.co.uk

I doubt that you have a problem. If you are seeing SID's in the search engine listings and you have prevent spiders on, then they are probably old links. Search the web for sites that perform spider tests of your site, there are many of them. They will show if the SID's are being seen or not.

Jack

PROBLEM SOLVED

NO MORE OSCSISD "YES"

After weeks of searching for the answer for the oscsid problem i have found the solution as the seo_urls contribution only worked on pages after the first click and was no good for the googlebot i decided to open this forum to try to find the answer and still with all you pros out there i still never received the answer so i went looking for myself and below is the working answer

use the original catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php and update using contribution sid killer this has worked great for me and i have had this problem with the oscsid urls for the past 3 months what a pain what a relief thanks to all who has contributed to this forum hope this information helps all you out there with the oscsid urls

here is the url for the contribution just read the install text file this will show you step by step how to install there is only 3 adjustments to two files i did notice that the seo_urls contribution had code in my /includes/functions/html_output.php so i installed the original /includes/functions/html_output.php and then installed this caused no problems with the running of my shop although there is no guarantee so remember backup any files you are about to change

sorry i am going on again here is the url

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...2/download,1220

hope you enjoy as much as i did thanks to Ian Wilson for this great contribution

you are welcome to add your comments here about this contribution or if you need any help contact us via our website http://www.pcgiant.co.uk

hi there and thank you for your reply here is the link to the website that i had spider my site http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spide...talog/index.php and all have sids

it does look like this problem is not going to be fixed

i have had this problem now ever since i installed the ultimate seo_urls contribution

i advise anyone who is thinking of installing the ultimate seo_url contribution to think again as this is not working as it should do, any pros out there care to prove me wrong please feel free to contribute to this forum

or you can contact us through our website http://www.pcgiant.co.uk

Please leave feedback on this forum whether this topic has helped you or not

Edited by maltonge

Ultimate SEO displays the SID's until cookies are stored for that item. Whether or not they appear though, if SID's are showing up in the SE listings, it isn't because of this contribution but because of a setting in the shop. I'm pleased that you got it wroking. I jsut wanted to clear up the issue about what was happening.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for comments jack

I have had the ultimate seo urls contribution by chemo for a few months and did try all settings believe me and still could not get this contribution to remove oscsid in the URL on the first click. I do however know that the oscsid was causing a problem with google not so much on the other search engines but google is very funny with oscsids and did not even take another listing or cache of my site except for the first one in aug 2005 and google visited my site every 7 days and surprise surprise the cache google had of our website had a oscsid and this oscsid url was being followed every time bringing up the same old page from aug 2005 so google never saw an update of the page I have now installed the contribution sid killer which was only a few edits to two files and that was it was so easy and now google have removed the cache of our site and I am expecting them crawling our site anytime now. For anyone interested in this contribution go to the link at the bottom of this paragraph This is a fantastic contribution that you can see in use at http://pcgiant.co.uk

And enter our store you will not see one oscsid and neither does google, we will keep all informed as to our listings in google if you use this contribution please leave some feedback on this forum subject, something like, how you like the sid killer contribution, if you had any problems installing the sid killer contribution and if so what the problems was have you fixed it and if so how did you fix it.

Hope this helps all out there with this oscsid problem

CLICK BELOW FOR THE SID KILLER CONTRIBUTION REMEMBER

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP ALL FILES YOU NEED TO EDIT

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...arch,sid+killer

Ultimate SEO displays the SID's until cookies are stored for that item. Whether or not they appear though, if SID's are showing up in the SE listings, it isn't because of this contribution but because of a setting in the shop. I'm pleased that you got it wroking. I jsut wanted to clear up the issue about what was happening.

Jack

mal i was checking your site with cookies off on my browser and could not add anything to the cart i will test later
As far as I can tell, passing the oscsid is the only way you can use OSCommerce with cookies turned off. So killing ALL oscid's will make your site non-functional for any browsers with cookies disabled.

There's another contribution I'm planning on trying to deal w/ the SID issue. This one only kills oscid's used by bots & spiders - it does NOT kill oscid for a normal web browser. So, theoretically this should allow you to checkout without cookies AND it should get rid of google's cached 'oscid' pages of your site.

It's called the Spider Session Remover.

Mal, this contribution should work in tandem w/ Ultimate SEO to give you good URLs and stop google from spidering your site w/ oscids AND allow browsers w/ cookies disabled to use your site.

Edited by Randelia

HI THERE ALL

Have just been looking at the spider session remover this is a great contribution to that should work with sid killer this is mainly for websites that have listings in search engines with the oscsid the spider session remover

here is a copy of the authors description of the spider session remover contribution

The problem

=========

You may use one of the following:

* 2-2MS2 "Prevent Spider Sessions" admin feature is set to true.

* SID Killer contribution (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,952)

* Spider Killer for MS1 contribution (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1089)

All of these features are very good, and aim to prevent spiders from adding an session

ID (osCsid) to the url.

However, what if a spider started to crawl your website BEFORE you enabled one of the

above features ? What can happen, is that the (previously) harvested URLS with SIDs in

them will show as results in search engines. Afterwards, often many months later, you

will still see the spider trying to access the the URLs it harvested earlier with the

session ID in it.

In summary, URL's with sessions ID's were harvested PRIOR to any session disabling, and

therefore these URL's are now indexed in search engines, and the spiders continue to

re-visit your website using the URL's with the 'osCsid' in them.

The Solution

=========

So, how do we remove these session ID's for the spiders that continue to use the previously

harvested URL ? By the use of Apache mod_rewrite, look for the spider agent name, and if

the condition is true, re-write the URL without the 'osCsid' in it, and ALSO return a "301"

back to the spider.

What results from the mod_rewite

========================

As to what the search engines will do, they'll see the 301-Moved Permanently response,

re-fetch the page from the new (osCsid-less) URL given in that response, and, ......

after a while, update their database to use the new URL.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...9/download,7054

hope this is helpfull i will be giving this contribution a go as google still has some oscsids from our website

from june 05 when we first opened will keep all informed as to if this contribution does work and if all of the oscsid urls are deleted from the search engines

your replys are welcome

maltonge

As far as I can tell, passing the oscsid is the only way you can use OSCommerce with cookies turned off. So killing ALL oscid's will make your site non-functional for any browsers with cookies disabled.

There's another contribution I'm planning on trying to deal w/ the SID issue. This one only kills oscid's used by bots & spiders - it does NOT kill oscid for a normal web browser. So, theoretically this should allow you to checkout without cookies AND it should get rid of google's cached 'oscid' pages of your site.

Mal, this contribution should work in tandem w/ Ultimate SEO to give you good URLs and stop google from spidering your site w/ oscids AND allow browsers w/ cookies disabled to use your site.

Edited by Johnson

Hi to all and thank you nana for you notes if users cookies are not enabled they can not add products to the cart or sign in

I have done some research on this by turning my cookies total off (disabled) and started to go through website that I have joined up with like ebay, google, yahoo, msn, overture, sony, dell, and all of our competitors. I have found that out of more than 100 ecommerce websites, payment processors and search engines that I viewed only 1 allowed me to sign in and this was Amazon. They did not let me straight in my browser blocked many pages before they let me in, all of the others either redirected us to a page that says you need to enable cookies to view the page and then gives brief description as to why cookies need to be enabled, like to add products to cart and log in. Yesterday I also asked a few friends who work in office work (accounts, law, customer support and bank manager) who have a pc at there desk that is connected to a server I asked them to go to our website and place a dummy order and not one of them had any problems except for one who does not have internet access at work

I think this confirms that business will not be lost due to the users cookies not be enabled as if you disable cookies you will not be able to surf the web well maybe free information websites but if they are required to sign in or even view products on some sites they will need to have cookies enabled in there browser

With the Sid killer contribution installed the users can block cookies and enable and enable session cookies this is what all will use if they do block cookies as they could not ever shop online if completely disabled and as our market is online shopping this will never be a problem to us

One of the main reasons why oscsids are no good is down to security as a hacker can get to valuable documents through oscsid

What I would like to be able to do is have a redirect page for none cookie users so if there cookies are disabled they will be redirected to a page that does not kill the oscsid this is what Amazon have done and I do like it not that I think this will have any noticeable affect to sales but it is better to have all avenues covered

So any oscommerce pro?s out there reading this please look at Amazon and sign in with cookies disabled and do not tick allow session cookies you will hear a few clicks and then you will be signed in look at the bottom right of your browser internet explorer and click on the little eye with the no entry sign and look at what has been blocked see if you can reproduce this and enable its use in oscommerce with the Sid killer contribution hope someone out there will be able to figure this out

maltonge

What I would like to be able to do is have a redirect page for none cookie users so if there cookies are disabled they will be redirected to a page that does not kill the oscsid this is what Amazon have done and I do like it not that I think this will have any noticeable affect to sales but it is better to have all avenues covered

This is what you do...

1. Uninstall the sid killer contrib

2. Go to your shops admin under configuration >> sessions and set Force Cookies to True

What will this do?

1. You do not get sides in your urls

2. If someone who do have cookies set to off in their browser tries to shop , they will be redirected to a friendly "Please Allow Cookies to shop" information page....

B)

Or..You will have to modify your sid killer to work that way..

Edited by toyicebear

Okay just installed Ultimate SEO URl mod Finally.

working fine.

a few questions you guys probably can answer.

im seeing the OSCID in the url. can this be avoided. ie can it be removed. without having to force cookies

should i install the Spider Session Remover or SID killer or both not sure which one to install.

would i have to configure anything on the admin side once i have installed any of these

Thanks nearly there now just looking into goolgle site maps

hI microshaft

I realy do not like the seo_urls contribution as it is not compatable with many contributions out there and also it still gives the oscsid in the url on the first page of your site that is why I moved away from the seo_urls contribution I installed the sid killer contribution this was not only easy to install but it actually worked and removed the oscsid from the url

the only downfall with the sid killer contribution is that a user/customer of your site who has ticked the option to block all cookies in there browser options will not be able to view most or all of your site, saying this though all major e-commerce stores that i know of will not let you view there site if you do not enable cookies so this is not as big a problem as some may think.

people looking to shop online will be aware that cookies need to be enabled as no website offers shopping without cookies enabled so the downfall of this contribution is not a downfall at all

I advise you to install the sidkiller contribution but remember to backup before you do. in the sid killer contribution there is only two files to edit no sql database programing like the seo_urls contribution

what can i say but the sid killer contribution is easy to install and it works as it should

hope this answers your questions

kind regards

mal

Okay just installed Ultimate SEO URl mod Finally.

working fine.

a few questions you guys probably can answer.

im seeing the OSCID in the url. can this be avoided. ie can it be removed. without having to force cookies

should i install the Spider Session Remover or SID killer or both not sure which one to install.

would i have to configure anything on the admin side once i have installed any of these

Thanks nearly there now just looking into goolgle site maps

hI microshaft

I realy do not like the seo_urls contribution as it is not compatable with many contributions out there and also it still gives the oscsid in the url on the first page of your site that is why I moved away from the seo_urls contribution I installed the sid killer contribution this was not only easy to install but it actually worked and removed the oscsid from the url

the only downfall with the sid killer contribution is that a user/customer of your site who has ticked the option to block all cookies in there browser options will not be able to view most or all of your site, saying this though all major e-commerce stores that i know of will not let you view there site if you do not enable cookies so this is not as big a problem as some may think.

people looking to shop online will be aware that cookies need to be enabled as no website offers shopping without cookies enabled so the downfall of this contribution is not a downfall at all

I advise you to install the sidkiller contribution but remember to backup before you do. in the sid killer contribution there is only two files to edit no sql database programing like the seo_urls contribution

what can i say but the sid killer contribution is easy to install and it works as it should

hope this answers your questions

kind regards

mal

All this (sid attached to the first urls) has nothing to do with seo_url, sid killers and what have you.

It is default behaviour of osc to do this if you do not force cookie usage and for good reason.

if spiders are picking those up you need to update your spider lists to prevent session starts.

if you absolutely do not want sid's on your url's, force cookies.

Treasurer MFC

hi there

I do know it is down to oscommerce default to have the oscsid my point is that the seo_urls contribution claims to remove this without the force cookies option enabled, this contribution does remove the oscsid on all pages bar the first page which is no good if want to get into google search fast, as even though you only get the oscsid on the first page google sees it on all of your pages the sid killer contribution lets google see your pages as html links so google does not have to keep deleting the old oscsid urls which makes them happy as they can spidder the site much easyer

also i did try using the robots txt and spiders txt files to stop access to oscsid urls but in poodle predictor the oscsid url where still shown (poodle spiders your site as google would and then shows the urls found) try it with your site http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go see for your self exactly what google sees from your site

also can you give my your url so i may take a look at your site

kind regards

mal

All this (sid attached to the first urls) has nothing to do with seo_url, sid killers and what have you.

It is default behaviour of osc to do this if you do not force cookie usage and for good reason.

if spiders are picking those up you need to update your spider lists to prevent session starts.

if you absolutely do not want sid's on your url's, force cookies.

hi there

I do know it is down to oscommerce default to have the oscsid my point is that the seo_urls contribution claims to remove this without the force cookies option enabled, this contribution does remove the oscsid on all pages bar the first page which is no good if want to get into google search fast, as even though you only get the oscsid on the first page google sees it on all of your pages the sid killer contribution lets google see your pages as html links so google does not have to keep deleting the old oscsid urls which makes them happy as they can spidder the site much easyer

also i did try using the robots txt and spiders txt files to stop access to oscsid urls but in poodle predictor the oscsid url where still shown (poodle spiders your site as google would and then shows the urls found) try it with your site http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go see for your self exactly what google sees from your site

also can you give my your url so i may take a look at your site

kind regards

mal

well, don't mistake those spider simulators with the real ones.

If you set your spiders.txt right, they will never get a session.

you can even simulate it yourself by setting the $spider_flag to true if your ip address is detected.

I used used to set it so that it would only go over the spider list if the browser language was empty assuming spiders did not set that, well, we now have chinese spiders which even set the language.

but again, the simplest way is to force cookies.

Robots.txt has no relation to sessions.

my site is in my profile, have a look.

Treasurer MFC

okay im getting slightly confused but im following you in some way.

..but if i have the prevent spider sesssion setting enabled wont that stop the spiders from picking up the oscid.

yes, if the relevant user_agent is listed in spiders.txt

Treasurer MFC

If you prevent the spider session you need to make sure you have a spiders.txt file and allow the spiders of your choice if you search for spiders.txt in the contribution section you will find an usable spiders.txt file that includes all major spiders to spider your site this will also stop any bad spiders

hope this helps

kind regards

mal

okay im getting slightly confused but im following you in some way.

..but if i have the prevent spider sesssion setting enabled wont that stop the spiders from picking up the oscid.

If you prevent the spider session you need to make sure you have a spiders.txt file and allow the spiders of your choice if you search for spiders.txt in the contribution section you will find an usable spiders.txt file that includes all major spiders to spider your site this will also stop any bad spiders

hope this helps

kind regards

mal

i found the spider.txt file in the includes file. which lists a whole lot bots and stuff. is the only file is needed and and is the location (in includes) the only place it needs to be

also how can i find out if OSCID are showing up google. i havent found any but mainly becuase i have just setup. but is there way of finding these suckers in google

i found the spider.txt file in the includes file. which lists a whole lot bots and stuff. is the only file is needed and and is the location (in includes) the only place it needs to be

also how can i find out if OSCID are showing up google. i havent found any but mainly becuase i have just setup. but is there way of finding these suckers in google

yes that is the spiders text also for security you should have a robots.txt to stop robots from listing your senstive information ie Admin needs to be secure as your admin stores all off your customers details also your database and products are in there make sure you have done this before submitting to search engines

here is a basic robots.txt file copy into notepad and save as robots.txt then upload to where your main html page is your root folder

copy from now

User-agent: *

Disallow: /admin

Disallow: /catalog/account.php

Disallow: /catalog/advanced_search.php

Disallow: /catalog/checkout_shipping.php

Disallow: /catalog/create_account.php

Disallow: /catalog/login.php

Disallow: /catalog/login.php

Disallow: /catalog/password_forgotten.php

Disallow: /catalog/popup_image.php

Disallow: /catalog/shopping_cart.php

Disallow: /private

Disallow: /hidden

User-agent: Googlebot-Image

Disallow: /

you are all done this file assumes that your catalog is in your root folder one more thing your asked for was a site you can test to see if your urls have the dreaded oscsid goto this website and enter your url in the search this will search your site as google would if you can give me ur url i will check to see how far you are in the development of your urls and header tags and page titles if you see all oscommerce listings when you search your site you need a contribution to change this i will look for this if you need

url is http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go

kind regards

mal

pc giant.uk