• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Okay

I've verified on Paypal, installed/uploaded the http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679 Paypal modul.

Trying to read/understand this in the readme file that came with the contribution

Your Private Key

The location and filename of your private key to use for signing the order data.

?? Key, is that a password or??

Your Public Certificate

The location and filename of your public certificate to use for signing the order data.

Which file?

PayPal's Public Certificate

The location and filename of the PayPal public key to use for encrypting the order data.

what file - get this from where?

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

The public certificate ID that PayPal should use to decrypt the encrypted order data.

?? Which

Went to my sandbox and got this:

View or Remove API Signature Back to Profile Summary

Credential: API Signature

API Username: xxx.dk

API Password: xxxxxxxxx

Signature: xxxxxxxxxxx.

Request Date: Jan. 10, 2007 12:50:59 PST

1) Also when I test - the Paypal screen takes over and I, playing the customer, feels I'm off the shop page.

2) Is there any way to STAY on the shop page or make paypal a popup thing???

3) Also, as others have mentioned - the adress fields are not beeing sent to paypal

4) I get this error for a field once I'm on Paypals page:

Enter Payment Information

You have entered unsupported characters for this field. Current available language character types are: European, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Thai. Please try again.

What error is that??

Helle

*Sorry for asking a lot - english is not my main language*

Edited by HelleM

i still see this digital download problem here.

when a user selects a digital download, and then goes thru the checkout process, but doesnt pay, and goes to the paypal site...then comes back to site, and views the order history, they are able to download the product.

what is the solution for this?

Hi

I use "Pending Downloads" and it works well with all other payment modules. When I get an order, it will stay pending and downloading is not possible untill I set it to in progress or finished.

I cannot answer how it will work with paypal - because I cannot make paypal work.

Helle - hope it helps you

Okay

I've verified on Paypal, installed/uploaded the http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679 Paypal modul.

Trying to read/understand this in the readme file that came with the contribution

Your Private Key

The location and filename of your private key to use for signing the order data.

?? Key, is that a password or??

Nop, that's your self-signed SSL key/cert key file. Key and Certifacate are paired.

Your Public Certificate

The location and filename of your public certificate to use for signing the order data.

Which file?

The cert file of your self-signed SSL key/cert pair.

PayPal's Public Certificate

The location and filename of the PayPal public key to use for encrypting the order data.

what file - get this from where?

After you uploaded your self-signed SSL cert file to paypal, you can then download the corresponding PayPal cert file.

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

The public certificate ID that PayPal should use to decrypt the encrypted order data.

?? Which

After you uploaded your self-signed SSL cert file to paypal, there will be a PayPal Public Certificate ID for the corresponding PayPal cert file.

Went to my sandbox and got this:

View or Remove API Signature Back to Profile Summary

Credential: API Signature

API Username: xxx.dk

API Password: xxxxxxxxx

Signature: xxxxxxxxxxx.

Request Date: Jan. 10, 2007 12:50:59 PST

You got into the wrong place. What you have is the API certificate, not EWP's. You need to check the Encrypted Payment Settings page, rather than API access.

1) Also when I test - the Paypal screen takes over and I, playing the customer, feels I'm off the shop page.
Sorry, that's what you got with PayPal's services.

2) Is there any way to STAY on the shop page or make paypal a popup thing???
Sorry, NO.

No comment for the rest questions.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi

I use "Pending Downloads" and it works well with all other payment modules. When I get an order, it will stay pending and downloading is not possible untill I set it to in progress or finished.

I cannot answer how it will work with paypal - because I cannot make paypal work.

Helle - hope it helps you

Please, use Download Controller 5.3 with this IPN module. Everything done automatically. No nedd to set anything by hand. Please refer to this guide, the SSL encryption is also instructed in there.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

thanks Alex

*pyyh i feel like an elephant in a glass shop"

Next "silly" question - i removed the API thing and downloaded the:

PayPal Public Certificate

PayPal requires that you use the PayPal Public Certificate with your code to encrypt buttons so that only PayPal can decipher the encrypted contents. Click the Download button below to download the PayPal Public Certificate.

is that right??

..... ehh. where did you get your "self-signed SSL cert file" from??

Helle *whom might take classses in english soon*

Hi everyone,

Wonder if anyone can help me with any of the below questions so I can progress my site! Pretty please!!!

I currently have a live osCommerce site using PayPal IPN v1.3. It all appears to work and I have been receiving live orders, except for a couple of issues which I believe PayPal IPN v1.4 and v2.0 resolves.

A few quick questions:

1. PayPal only seems to let my customers pay with Visa or Master. No AMEX. Is there anyway I can get AMEX enabled with PayPal IPN?

2. I already have PayPal IPN v1.3 installed in a customized site. What is the best procedure to "uninstall" the current version and "install" the later v1.4 or v2.0 versions, or can I simply replace the appropriate files with the v1.4 or v2.0 release?

3. And finally - I just want to get this clarified once and for all. In my PayPal Profiles, under "Instant Payment Notification Preferences", should I have "Instant Payment Notification (IPN)" turned on or off? And should I include a "Instant Payment Notification (IPN) URL"? Some say I need to turn this on and specify a URL, whilst others say that this should be turned off! I simply want to return the customer to my site after they pay with PayPal. I'm abit confused about what this should be set to???

Many thanks in advance.

And Terra and the rest of you guys do a great job for this contribution.

Terra, I think you might need to super capitalize the IPN setting paragraph. This must be the 1st frequently asked question. Do I need to setup IPN URL in PayPal Profile?

NO! YOU DON'T!

Terra, I think you might need to super capitalize the IPN setting paragraph. This must be the 1st frequently asked question. Do I need to setup IPN URL in PayPal Profile?

NO! YOU DON'T!

I've given up believing that people actually bother to read the user guide ... but if bold red font makes a difference, I'll give it a go.

Is the problem with pre-populating UK county field for customers without PayPal account a major one?

well - they just need to select their county from the drop-down list at the PayPal site. Nothing major, just not pre-populated. You can try it out yourself by selecting "pay without account" at the PayPal site & check what appears.

Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

I've installed Paypal IPN and it seemed to work for about one order I think. Now whenever someone adds products then checks out and pays, Paypal says there address was not provided and I'm ineligible for seller protection because of this.

Set "force shipping address" to true. But you still need to check that the order delivery address matches the PayPal invoice address in order to be eligible for seller protection. Oh - and please, please read the user guide - it does mention the fore shipping setting. Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

I've given up believing that people actually bother to read the user guide ... but if bold red font makes a difference, I'll give it a go.

well - they just need to select their county from the drop-down list at the PayPal site. Nothing major, just not pre-populated. You can try it out yourself by selecting "pay without account" at the PayPal site & check what appears.

Terra

Just tested it. Except for their email address, none of the customer's details are pre-populated. Is this normal?

A new PayPal IPN module is out - PayPal Express Checkout IPN v0.1 beta

Please check the support thread and download it and test it.

I will answer questions regarding this new payment module in that support thread.

Man, i'm going crazy over here. I try using the sandbox to test this thing and all i keep getting at the end of the payment process is this error message:

We are sorry, we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later. If this error occurred while making a payment, avoid duplicate payments by checking your Account Overview before resending a payment.

Message 3005

I'm trying to test this IPN thing out and I don't know if it's working or not.

Where di you get these two certificates from??

my-prvkey.pem

my-pubcert.pem

Helle :-"

If your host has OpenSSL installed, and you have access to shell, yuo can generate your self-signed key/cert pair using shell commands.

for key:

openssl genrsa -out my-prvkey.pem 1024

for cert:

openssl req -new -key my-prvkey.pem -x509 -days 365 -out my-pubcert.pem

If you don't have access to shell command, you need a shareware called Crypto4 PKI to generate them in Windows. You need to purchase that Crypto4 PKI, the trial version doesn't allow to generate the 1024bit x509 pem file required by PayPal.

Forgive me, but I don't know how to search this entire 95 page thread!

This may have been addressed before.

Is there a way to prevent an order email being sent to the customer if they do not follow through with the Paypal checkout?

I had a customer today who went to paypal, then backed out. He then paid with credit card on my website instead.

The order status stayed at Preparing IPN which is good... BUT the customer still received an order email.

He received 1 email from the paypal (which he backed out)

and then a 2nd email for the regular payment ( which is good)

Is there any way to avoid an order email if the customer backs out?

Thanks!

If your host has OpenSSL installed, and you have access to shell, yuo can generate your self-signed key/cert pair using shell commands.

for key:

openssl genrsa -out my-prvkey.pem 1024

for cert:

openssl req -new -key my-prvkey.pem -x509 -days 365 -out my-pubcert.pem

If you don't have access to shell command, you need a shareware called Crypto4 PKI to generate them in Windows. You need to purchase that Crypto4 PKI, the trial version doesn't allow to generate the 1024bit x509 pem file required by PayPal.

Thanks Alex

just wrote to my host asking them...

I actually ran an ordre through my site using Paypal - and it worked to my surprice. The setup in admin has basically no info, except for my email and "Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status" set to "Preparing [PayPal IPN] ? Can it really be that simple?

Helle :-)

I have a problem and I have gone through all 95 pages without seeing a similar problem. This bugs me because it probably means that I did something dumb and messed up the module myself or the answer is so simple but I am missing it, which again makes me feel real stupid. :blush: Here is the problem. Everything works fine until the customer gets to the last screen before going to Paypal. On that screen I get the error of

Warning: fread() [function.fread]:length parameter must be greater than 0. in ...\includes\modules\payment\paypal_ipn.php on line 426

I have searched and searched the code for where I have problems but I can't find anything. I don't know if at this point I can't see the forest for the trees or if the problem actually lies outside the code to something else not being right, like the location of the certificates or even the OpenSSL install not working right in my storefront files. I would appreciate any help you can give. :'(

If you need to see the bug in action, my site is live at http://det-enterprises.com and I will refund any monies that actually do get through if you manage to get past the bug. Also, all epapers and ebooks are locked with a password that is sent in an email separately so that even though the download is instantaneous, the book remains locked until I have verification of payment. My way of getting around certain other issues with paypal as my payment processor. ;)

1. PayPal only seems to let my customers pay with Visa or Master. No AMEX. Is there anyway I can get AMEX enabled with PayPal IPN?

I do not believe that Paypal accepts AMEX because of AMEX charging outlandish fees. The fees to accept them are almost triple what they are to accept all the others. That is why I didn't accept AMEX when I had the printshop. If you really want to accept them, then you will need to get coverage through another source. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Warning: fread() [function.fread]:length parameter must be greater than 0. in ...\includes\modules\payment\paypal_ipn.php on line 426

I presumed that you're using v1.5(2.0), and the error actually found in line 462, not 426....

The length parameter has been set at 0, probably because the working directory cannot be found. You must create this directory and chmod to 777. And then in IPN module setting page, you must set it with the ABSOLUTE path.

Edited by AlexStudio

I do not believe that Paypal accepts AMEX because of AMEX charging outlandish fees. The fees to accept them are almost triple what they are to accept all the others. That is why I didn't accept AMEX when I had the printshop. If you really want to accept them, then you will need to get coverage through another source. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Hmm, when I run an order I can choose from 4 cards, just like PayPal shows when i downloaded their logos...?

As I said a few post back - I have nearly done nothing - only set up my email an "Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status" set to "Preparing [PayPal IPN] ?

Don't know if this info helps you - just thought you should know

Helle

Just tested it. Except for their email address, none of the customer's details are pre-populated. Is this normal?

Have you read the use guide? the pre-population only works if "force shipping" is set to false. That's because the variables needed for force shipping and the variables needed for pre-population cancel each other out. So it's an either / or choice. Terra

Have you read the use guide? the pre-population only works if "force shipping" is set to false. That's because the variables needed for force shipping and the variables needed for pre-population cancel each other out. So it's an either / or choice. Terra

I think there can be an additional IF statement to check if the $order->content_type == 'Virtual', then set the "force shipping" depends on it. Otherwise those shops selling downloads will never get the address fields pre-populated. I have this feature in the Express Checkout IPN module, but I need to check the standard checkout document to see if there is a similar parameter for this.

Terra, I agree with the logic of this contribution, and think that it deals with Paypal IPN very well. However, wouldn't it be even better to have the pre-storage of the orders and the stock update taking place when people hit the "confirm order" button (rather than when they enter checkout_confirmation)? This way, there would be less trashed carts stored. Just an idea, I have no idea how to implement this.

Okay - an update on this:

Moving the code into the function process_button() achieves nothing, as all the PHP in a page is compiled before the page is output from the server.

This means that as long as the pre-save code is on the checkout_confirmation page (regardless in which function), the code gets executed as soon as the customer enters the page.

Solving this would mean using maybe Javascript to tie the action of hitting the button to the pre-saving

OR

inserting an in-between page between checkout_confirmation and PayPal. Not happy with the latter as it adds another thing to the checkout system which can go wrong and I don't believe that the convenience of less pre-saved orders is offset by the nuisance of yet another page / custom modification which can go ti**s up.

And as for Javascript, I haven't even mastered the dummy's guide yet.

In summary - it's not as simple as it looks and I've shelved this as I can't see a solution which doesn't create more problems than it solves. Javascript may be the answer but would need help from another developer.

Terra