• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Its not *that* different, but does seem more logical.

It is more logical but then so would the stock updates and email notifications be if the checkout process usage concerning these was completely removed and added to the IPN module (in case the customer doesn't return to the store) but the contribution hasn't developed that far yet. Add to that the credit card payment issues then I guess there are more pressing matters.

Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I have no idea, i didn't write it and i don't know any of the authors... maybe you can ask one of them and post the answer here for all of us to see.

I don't have any recollection of mentioning anything to do with databse and email jobs related to your posts. As for the second part of your question, I didn't write this contribution so I can't comment as to why the author bothered (or not) to put them in.

I can't understand the question.

Anyway, here is what I wrote in an earlier post:

"I have wondered about this from when I first installed this IPN contribution. I don't think it is absolutely neccessary for that to happen and it can be configured to show an order after checkout confirmation has been pressed - it can keep in line with the current format which simply updates an abandoned cart (via order number) and updates it if the customer returns back to the store. Maybe because it isn't absolutely vital so no-one has tried changing it but it can be done."

my view is still the same on the above.

nothing personal, but the reason is so obvious if you spend some time to study the code, and the paypal api documents.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

I installed this mod yesterday and it works great. I also installed the new addon package that transfers customer details if they do not use a paypal account, but the telephone number is not transferred.

The code in paypal_ipn is $parameters['H_PhoneNumber'] = $order->customer['telephone'];

do I need to make a select query to pull this? My checkout_confirmation page only has billing and shipping adress, no phone number.

I am testing my website with the pay pal sandbox. I login (with sandbox from personal account), pick a few items for the shopping cart, try and pay with my sand box credit card info and then get:

The credit card number entered is invalid.<br>Please check the number and try again.

I try again to pay then get the following:

There has been an error processing your credit card. Please try again.

(this message is highlighted in red)

Ican not seem to get past this, any suggestions???

Thanks, Aundie

I gave up on sandbox because all my transactions were doing that. I use two paypal accounts and basically set up test items for 0.01 and add them to cart, use paypal and then make the payment to make sure the most important aspects of IPN is working.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Paypal IPN has never worked properly for me bt have still been able to use the website fine until today.

For some reason, I know do not have anything below the Paypal IPN notifications box when on the page to edit the customers orders (the one where you can allocate 'pending', dispatched' etc).

The Paypal IPN box used to say 'no data available', and underneath it was the order details inthe normal way, however now the Paypal IPN box says:

Transaction Activity

Date Status Details Action Gross Fee Net Amount

1016 - Can't open file: 'orders_session_info.MYI'. (errno: 145)

select txn_signature from orders_session_info where orders_id = '1689' limit 1

[TEP STOP]

I haven't even been on the website since it has changed - any help gratefully received as Paypal shows I have been paid for 7 orders, however the website doesn't tell me what they are : - (

Thanks

Jemma

Edited by JemCraft

I gave up on sandbox because all my transactions were doing that. I use two paypal accounts and basically set up test items for 0.01 and add them to cart, use paypal and then make the payment to make sure the most important aspects of IPN is working.

Huummm. That's disappointing to hear. As of now I am still not able to make the sandbox work all the way through. I guess I will have to do it the "old fashioned way”, LOL!

I do have one more question regarding the sandbox; what are WSLD files? Under test certificates (but not in the test certificate box) it states:

Test Certificates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To test your web services application, you will need to download a certificate from the Sandbox. Download a certifcate and include it in your code. Any downloaded certificate from the Sandbox will appear in the list below.

Note: The certificate for the Sandbox will not work on Live and vice versa.

In order to use PayPal web services, you need to use the following WSDL files:Live: www.paypal.com/wsdl/PayPalSvc.wsdl

Live: www.paypal.com/wsdl/eBLBaseComponents.xsd

Live: www.paypal.com/wsdl/CoreComponentTypes.xsd

Sandbox: www.sandbox.paypal.com/wsdl/PayPalSvc.wsdl

Sandbox: www.sandbox.paypal.com/wsdl/eBLBaseComponents.xsd

Sandbox: www.sandbox.paypal.com/wsdl/CoreComponentTypes.xsd

I never integrated this into OSC, was I suppose to?

Thanks for the responses,

Aundie

Edited by asides

Paypal shows I have been paid for 7 orders, however the website doesn't tell me what they are

which IPN version are you using?

CHOOCH

Can someone tell me how to generate my own private key and public certificate to be used with Paypal? I went to openssl.org (recommended by Paypal) and got lost there. I am really stuck.

I have searched the forum and there was one member who could generate these with SSL manager with cPanel, but I cannot find the in my cPanel.

There must be heaps of people who passed this stage of IPN installation, so please help out. Thank you.

Felix

is this normal activity? (i just installed this moments ago, and i've been watching the first user to test this module for me)

-first status update was dumped to the preparing status (expected)

-after checking my paypal account, they paid.

-i go back into my admin panel, their order has left the preparing status -and is now under verified.. but the order comments say "invalid / unverified", etc. etc.

-10 mins later i check their order again and it now states: PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; $32.74)] in the order comments

i found this a few pages back in this topic about how to encrypt the payment process from paypal:

1. Login to your Paypal account and click on the Profile tab.

2. Click on the link on the right for Encrypted Payment Settings under Selling Preferences.

3. Click on Download to download the Paypal Public Cert. Change the name after download to paypal_cert.pem.

4. Click on Add to upload your public cert – my-pubcert.pem and then click Add.

...once i get here, i get this error on paypal:

"You tried to upload PayPal's public certificate as your own certificate. This is not allowed."

so what am i doing wrong?

i also host on godaddy and purchased my domain (mysite.com) ssl through them, so i did not generate it myself as they installed it as well.

can i still use the encrypt function without having to pay for a new ssl?

if not, what are the risks associated with using the paypal ipn without encryption?

Edited by eww

-10 mins later i check their order again and it now states: PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; $32.74)] in the order comments

Sounds normal to me. This thread contains numerous references to how the process works. The [Completed (Unverified; $32.74)] bit means that the transaction was successful, but the customer is unverified by PayPal, which has a different meaning depending on the customer's stated country of origin. See this paypal page for more details

---john---

i figured that status comment was normal, but what i was asking was basically...

for it to be dumped to the verified status WHILE it says inactive, then switching itself to confirmed only moments later?

(the latter i found by reading older posts, normal.)

i would have assumed AS it was being dumped to the verified table, that the status comments would be updated during/before-hand

that process confused me quite a bit :)

and lastly, do you know how frequently paypal will communicate with my ipn and vice-versa? is there a setting or does ipn just try to connect after a payment is made?

Hello,

I have just installed Paypal IPN, it works very well, congratulations.

However, I have a small problem with it and could not find an answer in the various threads on this forum about this.

Is it possible to update the product quantity when the order gets the status "Preparing [iPN]", not only when it gets back to "Pending"?

This way, the quantity is sure to go down (whether or not the order is paid, and whether or not Paypal and my OSC communicate nicely), and I am certain never to have orders for products which I do not have in stock. Rather safe than sorry. :)

I am testing my website with the pay pal sandbox. I login (with sandbox from personal account), pick a few items for the shopping cart, try and pay with my sand box credit card info and then get:

The credit card number entered is invalid.<br>Please check the number and try again.

I try again to pay then get the following:

Ican not seem to get past this, any suggestions???

Thanks, Aundie

The reason for this is if you try use the same credit card too many times on PayPals site (even if its a valid card), then PayPal will block your card. This will happen on the Sandbox or on the live site.

As far as I know, there is no way around this, (other than to test with another credit card until that one goes bang also) is to create a personal account under the sandbox and then use that for your testing.

Edited by JonoB

Do I remove the regular Paypal module before using the contrib?

All you do is load the files to the appropriate places and the option should show up in admin/modules/payment

CHOOCH

Is it possible to update the product quantity when the order gets the status "Preparing [iPN]", not only when it gets back to "Pending"?

No one has managed to do this yet. I did spend a few hours looking at the files trying to get this to happen but my tests all failed miserably.... as of yet no one has done it.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

anyone know how frequently the ipn checks paypal? all day long i've had the same number marked (since 12 this afternoon) confirmed, but there's dozens more than that actually IN my paypal account.

do i have to be in my admin panel for the ipn to probe paypal?

upon looking closer, the only one that appears confirmed is the order that was placed while i was online this morning, the rest are still sitting unconfirmed, yet they show in the paypal account.

Edited by eww

the only one that appears confirmed is the order that was placed while i was online this morning, the rest are still sitting unconfirmed, yet they show in the paypal account.

From what i saw in my tests, if the IPN gets verified then it doesn't matter whether you are in your admin or not... status gets updated.

The only time i had a problem was when my server was playing up and no-orders got updated even though payment was made. I am since using a different server and i have no issues with that part of the contribution.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

The only time i had a problem was when my server was playing up and no-orders got updated even though payment was made.

so the ipn only checks for payment once then never again?

so basically if your server went down inbetween the last ipn check and the next, there's a group of orders that may never get confirmed?

i couldn't test much on the sandbox due to some error on paypal's end, so i'm absolutely baffled at this point :)

so the ipn only checks for payment once then never again? so basically if your server went down inbetween the last ipn check and the next, there's a group of orders that may never get confirmed?

:D of course not... my server was playing up that's why i had a problem!. "PayPal's IPN system re-posts to your script after 10 seconds, then 20 seconds, 40 seconds, 80 seconds, etc., (up to a 24 hour duration), until we receive a basic HTTP "200 OK" response from your web server or 4 days have passed since the initial post."

READ THIS

i couldn't test much on the sandbox due to some error on paypal's end, so i'm absolutely baffled at this point :)

the sandbox did that to me too - i gave up on sandbox and used real paypal payments for 0.01 at a time but obviously on two different paypal accounts.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

thanks for that link, i did not see that on there!!

this confuses me:

If you did not set a Notification URL in your account Profile, then an Instant Payment Notification will occur only if the variable "notify_url" is included in your PayPal button code. When you set the "notify_url" variable in your button code, it overrides the Notification URL set in your Profile.

i do not recall setting any url except the auto-return on paypal (to checkout_process.php)

is this a required field:

Working Directory

&

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

i removed and re-installed the ipn, still no orders have updated, but the unconfirmed orders seem to be piling up by the minute

what i found peculiar, is that just this moment i log into paypal and see a new payment. i check my whos_online admin tool and i see that customer on checkout_confirmation.php

yet his order is still unconfirmed.

and lastly, i cannot seem to get any customer addresses showing on paypal's site anymore, but they worked fine with the original paypal module . i also tried the most recent addition to this contribution to pass the customer address, still it says "No Address provided"

i have done my best to read through older posts with similar wordings to my questions, but this thread jumps all over the place!! so forgive me if i am repeating a question.

ahhhhhh may have spotted my problem :)

i entered mysite.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php into my browser and noticed a parse error

mistakenly, i edited some of the wording for the status comments last night and failed to see if the file still worked.

the purchase that just occured (since my cleanup) was verified.

i am looking at this guy in whos_online and his cart is still full and he's on checkout_confirmation.php - how does this happen (since his purchase was completed by ipn)?

Edited by eww

Seller protection is based on your account standings and the information provided by the customer about their billing and credit card address. It is not tied to the OSC module in any way that I know of.

If you accept payments from buyers with "unconfirmed" addresses, or have had a certain number of complaints and a few other reasons you will see your not eligible. :(

Myself I have my account to not accept payments from buyers without a "confirmed adderess" and only ship to their "confirmed adderess". I had to tweek the IPN module to pass the peramiter that insists the buyer give a shipping address as well as a billing address on Paypal (they only enter it once if it's the same).

the problem is that the addresses are not showing up (in paypal). period. when using paypal ipn.

this invalidates the protection one would otherwise have. (because whether the customer has a confirmed address or not, the fact it reads "not address provided" means we're SOL if the buyer decides to complain!

here's a screenshot of the problem:

noaddraz3.jpg

this user (who is a repeat customer) has purchased from me before. normally, they have a confirmed address and i am eligable.

this happens with every ipn purchase

I had to tweek the IPN module to pass the peramiter that insists the buyer give a shipping address as well as a billing address on Paypal (they only enter it once if it's the same).

can you offer instructions on how to achieve this? :)